Home

NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #113
Pro

dansaint's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: NHL 16 Available Today For Xbox One & PlayStation 4, Post Your Impressions

I've played it on the highest level (and also done this on All Star) and lowered the CPU to have ZERO advantage (basically accuracy, power, goalie speed, passing etc to their lowest level) and I'm still getting beat 6-0. 6-1 every game.

I'm using hybrid controls (because NHL '94 too easy and stick skill too complicated).

I do like the authenticity of the arenas and the atmosphere though but the gameplay to me still seems it's not even.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #114
Rookie

Vmascarello's Arena

OVR: 0

Thats been an annoyance in the past, as far as finding the right balance. But, I feel I already found it. Playing on All Star with AlTitos sliders with a twist of my own experience has been fun and challenging. Ive got beat 4-0 and won 4-0. Im currently 11-6-3 with the Bruins, and all the games have been competitive.

Is anyone else happy with the challenge factor? Obviously, theres still so,e weird AI stuff, but Im just talking about finding it competitve and on what level.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #115
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Decided I would do a season or gm with a rebuilding team so I picked arizona.

Tossed Domi's kid on from london and Duclair from quebec and went into LA.

Scored first on a scrappy goal, LA answered with a nice goal where I was hedging against the cross ice pass favored by the cpu and Gaborik said thanks and lit it up short side

Then a scoreless 2nd period. LA fans were on edge. Domi was seeing more time with the second shift and I gave the cpu a taste of it's own medicine. Brought the puck up the boards but veered in, then back out to the boards, it made the defender hesitate and his check attempt gave me a speed boost when he knocked into me pushing me forward, quick pass across and Domi taps it in.

Then 2 minutes later I win a deep left faceoff, out to the RD and quick passed right back to Domi at LW and cracked a snapper top shelf near post.

3-1. Lucic for LA gets a beautiful feed from Kopitar and five holes me from the slot. 3-2. A few minutes later I break into the zone with vermette and one touch deke the defender and 5 hole them right back.

LA starts pressing, down 4-2 and I take advantage of a miss played pass from defender to defender and flick a pass to a streaking Duclair who cuts across goal with the 2 sticks deke and roofs one to put the nail in the coffin and silence the LA crowd.

Good times. Having quite a lot of fun with this game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (593.6 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by BL8001; 09-16-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #116
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Domi on the coyotes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (563.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #117
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmascarello
If you enjoy the game, dont give up for that reason. Id try to go All Star with someones sliders that knows what theyre doing and then go from there. Maybe you just gotta get a little better on All Star. pro and Rookie are always too easy on any game if you play it somewhat regularly.
I've jumped from all star, to pro, thinking it would reduce the CPU cheese a bit since it's supposed to be an "easier" difficulty setting, but the same issues persist at about the same rate IMO.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #118
Rookie

Vmascarello's Arena

Obviously, if youre experiencing that, who am I to tell you ots not happening or not true.

But, I just dont see it. There are cheesy goals in the real NHL as well, dont forget. Sometimes you lose a few in a row, thats part of a fair challenge. But, I honestly believe anyone with decent hand eye coordination could play it on All Star and eventually compete with the CPU. Especially with a strong slider set, amd sometimes that takes a whole season to really get close to perfect. I also noticed team strategy settings are very important when considering how you play the game and what you tend to do, dump and chase, carry the puck, cycle, etc.

I usually sim alot of games escpecially early in the season, but Im finding myself playing much more because of the in game presentation and fun Im having battling the CPU, even if Max Talbot tosses a cheesy no look pass here or there.

That stuff will never completely go away until 2k decides to get back in to the hockey business. EA just has alot of anomolies in there gameplay, always have.

Last edited by Vmascarello; 09-16-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #119
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmascarello
Obviously, if youre experiencing that, who am I to tell you ots not happening or not true.

But, I just dont see it. There are cheesy goals in the real NHL as well, dont forget. Sometimes you lose a few in a row, thats part of a fair challenge. But, I honestly believe anyone with decent hand eye coordination could play it on All Star and eventually compete with the CPU. Especially with a strong slider set, amd sometimes that takes a whole season to really get close to perfect. I also noticed team strategy settings are very important when considering how you play the game and what you tend to do, dump and chase, carry the puck, cycle, etc.

I usually sim alot of games escpecially early in the season, but Im finding myself playing much more because of the in game presentation and fun Im having battling the CPU, even if Max Talbot tosses a cheesy no look pass here or there.

That stuff will never completely go away until 2k decides to get back in to the hockey business. EA just has alot of anomolies in there gameplay, always have.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm seeing a ton of "only a few seconds" left goals. And they aren't good goals either, they are "what the heck did I just see" goals. It's frustrating, because I saw that in about 95% of the first games I played.

I also noticed the CPU has no problem scoring from the side or cross crease. It seem to be a repeat of NHL 14 and 15 again. I put the game on PRO, and haven't seen any less of it.

The same issues from previous years are glaring again. It's frustrating. I will keep at it, but my patience is running thin. Hopefully, I can find a set of balanced sliders.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #120
Rookie

Vmascarello's Arena

Just curious, make sure the "CPU difficulty adjustment" slider is turned to O. Otherwise, any time the CPU is down they will become heroes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »