Home

Thoughts on tuners: call me crazy

This is a discussion on Thoughts on tuners: call me crazy within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #25
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Thoughts on tuners: call me crazy

Just another one of those EA head scratchers. Some people automatically get a tuner update and some of us have to go online to get it. I have PS Plus but have to go online. Last year it would download automatically. Weird
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #26
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Just another one of those EA head scratchers. Some people automatically get a tuner update and some of us have to go online to get it. I have PS Plus but have to go online. Last year it would download automatically. Weird
Ok just got the gameplay update downloaded screen ? Its says to change go to advanced settings but since theres only 1 tuner Im screwed ?

Remember I dont have ps plus so its like I have no option so I will keep getting the latest tuner even though I dont go to settings where latest and v100 are ? thanks for any insite on this
Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #27
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Ok just got the gameplay update downloaded screen ? Its says to change go to advanced settings but since theres only 1 tuner Im screwed ?

Remember I dont have ps plus so its like I have no option so I will keep getting the latest tuner even though I dont go to settings where latest and v100 are ? thanks for any insite on this
That stinks....I hope they address this quickly. I hate to keep complaining but its infuriating, more than anything I can think of, even my usual complaint penalties lol. This game was so good prior to the September 28 tuner that it could have been left alone for the year.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #28
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
That stinks....I hope they address this quickly. I hate to keep complaining but its infuriating, more than anything I can think of, even my usual complaint penalties lol. This game was so good prior to the September 28 tuner that it could have been left alone for the year.
Im gonna play on V100 tuner if its the same Im done till its addressed as I hate boost robotic hockey and its not worth my trouble to tweak , thanks again or maybe just delete my profile every time and unplug my dsl ?

Last edited by THESHAMISASHAME; 10-01-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #29
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

I would also like to point out that not only should EA give us tuner choices, they need to look into how and why a couple of tuner changes such as this "- Fixed issues with puck control when stick handling around the net for both User and AI players." (From EA tuner note) can alter the ENTIRE gameplay experience. That was the point in my OP in this thread and I think we are all in agreement that it is like 2 totally different games after the tuner updates.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #30
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
I would also like to point out that not only should EA give us tuner choices, they need to look into how and why a couple of tuner changes such as this "- Fixed issues with puck control when stick handling around the net for both User and AI players." (From EA tuner note) can alter the ENTIRE gameplay experience. That was the point in my OP in this thread and I think we are all in agreement that it is like 2 totally different games after the tuner updates.
I told you before Im not a slider guy but when I raised goalie reaction higher the defense-men then played alot better D and positional too and thats when I learned you had to counter every change at least with key sliders to keep the balance .

So basically if they change one slider to fix A then it can possible cause a worse problem if that makes sense.
And just a FYI I lowered AI learn as shogun mentioned and Im seeing a bit less robotic cpu but Im still seeing the speed burst advantage on Allstar so I may have to up hu acc to make up for the disadvantage .
Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #31
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
I told you before Im not a slider guy but when I raised goalie reaction higher the defense-men then played alot better D and positional too and thats when I learned you had to counter every change at least with key sliders to keep the balance .

So basically if they change one slider to fix A then it can possible cause a worse problem if that makes sense.
And just a FYI I lowered AI learn as shogun mentioned and Im seeing a bit less robotic cpu but Im still seeing the speed burst advantage on Allstar so I may have to up hu acc to make up for the disadvantage .
I agree with this 100% but I also think there is something else going on as well. Like I said in my original post, when we were able to open the AI file in NHL 2009 on the PC using a modding tool you would see all the same slider options you could adjust in game but there were a bunch more that you did not see or get to adjust in game. I wish I could remember what some of them were because they were really cool and had huge impact on gameplay. I suspect there are things in these tuners very similar to that and when they change them it's completely altering the game as a whole.

I think it's fair to say if we had a copy of NHL16 with the pre September 28 tuner and a copy NHL16, but with a phony game label and different graphics, after the September 28th tuner, we would think we had two different games made by 2 different developers. Us NHL sim guys would take the original NHl16 and the on liners and arcade guys would choose the phony labeled one.

In short I think your theory is spot on and affects what happens when we tweak it but I think they are doing more damage in these tuners than just the sliders we see. They do go hand in hand though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #32
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
I agree with this 100% but I also think there is something else going on as well. Like I said in my original post, when we were able to open the AI file in NHL 2009 on the PC using a modding tool you would see all the same slider options you could adjust in game but there were a bunch more that you did not see or get to adjust in game. I wish I could remember what some of them were because they were really cool and had huge impact on gameplay. I suspect there are things in these tuners very similar to that and when they change them it's completely altering the game as a whole.

I think it's fair to say if we had a copy of NHL16 with the pre September 28 tuner and a copy NHL16, but with a phony game label and different graphics, after the September 28th tuner, we would think we had two different games made by 2 different developers. Us NHL sim guys would take the original NHl16 and the on liners and arcade guys would choose the phony labeled one.

In short I think your theory is spot on and affects what happens when we tweak it but I think they are doing more damage in these tuners than just the sliders we see. They do go hand in hand though.
Played the game again all last night near all star default and it really just feels like the old tilted ice hockey where the game play kept changing because of big hits , remember the old intimidation on the ps3 and then I cant pass from 10 ft away or Im now unresponsive on D like Im skating in wet cement ???

Good thing on the tuner is I play hut so to avoid the latest tuner download I will create two accounts one for offline and one for online , silly but Ill do it

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »