Home

Thoughts on tuners: call me crazy

This is a discussion on Thoughts on tuners: call me crazy within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Thoughts on tuners: call me crazy

Call me crazy but hear me out...I keep trying to understand how come a tuner designed to increase stick contact during poke check can end up making the game speed faster or the Goalies worse, etc etc...EA clearly lists in tuner notes what the tuner is for yet it seems to completely overhaul the entire AI and gameplay every time.

These latest tuners are a perfect example; The September 28 tuner had a handful of changes then September 30 tuner notes imply it only removed the poke checking yet the entire game plays different than it did after the original September 28 tuner. Shouldn't it play exactly the same just without the over the top tripping? My initial thoughts were for every action there is a reaction so every time they make a change to one thing it will affect something else. I still think that's true but I'm not convinced one thing alone can alter the entire gameplay and AI.

So here is where my crazy thought comes in...I'm a long time EA NHL player and back in the PC hey day we had some amazing modding communities for visual, AI, and tools. It's where I was introduced to NHLview and I miss it dearly. I was also introduced to a tool called the TCE (total control editor) it opened up the NHL AIdata.viv (or something like that) which was basically the games AI. It had many of the sliders we see as game players but also had a lot more we're not privy to or able to edit. It also allowed us to edit on a scale of 1-100. Well during my time with NHL 2008 and 2009 I noticed that when I altered the AI it would work just fine but once I overwrote the edited AIdata file the gameplay would be all jacked up and not how it should have played based on my settings. I ended up having to keep unedited copies of my AIdata and when I wanted to tweak things I had to start with a fresh AIdata file instead of overwriting the same one.

Now I know the next gen systems are not a PC and the files are not the same, but what if that's the issue and they don't even know it? Maybe every time they keep overwriting these tuners to fix something it's messing other stuff up to the point it doesn't resemble the original AI. It's so very similar to the problens I had in the PC day and until it was discovered I had the same frustrations we seem to have now. Just a thought.

Last edited by jake19ny; 09-30-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Thoughts on tuners: call me crazy

That's tough to read man, can you maybe go back and space it out a bit?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Lol. I thought the sane thing reading through it.
Let me if it's a bit better now.

Last edited by jake19ny; 09-30-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I just wish we could go back to where we could choose which tuner we preferred. I'd love to have a tuner released that added somehow a more "human element" to vs cpu play.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6

Can't say exactly how their tuners work, but what's sure is that there's always other things that get messed up or changed, and has been since they introduced the tuners.

Combine that with the the save function that wasn't specific to different modes, it made a situation where it was almost impossible to keep the gameplay the same throughout a season as they keep releasing tuners that are supposed to fix A and B, but also alters C, D, E and F...

Thank you EA - This game is officially better than sex
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
MVP

northmen24's Arena

OVR: 1

In my expierence Penalties and Game Speed go hand in hand. If the game speed is too slow and players move too slow then there's no penalties. The faster and quicker the players the more careless sticks and body checks get. I just don't think you can have penalties and slow game speed with the engine this game is made with.

Just my opinion. I use game speed 0 but have player acceleration at 4/4 and its perfect for me.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I just wish we could go back to where we could choose which tuner we preferred. I'd love to have a tuner released that added somehow a more "human element" to vs cpu play.
Agreed, and for me that was the Sept 28th. I have no problem if others found it's changes made gameplay unenjoyable, and I applaud the dev team for listening, but everyone can be accommodated here by allowing earlier tuners to be used.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Rookie

I wrote on their Facebook page and they said they are aware of the problems and are working on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »