Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2016, 02:22 AM   #297
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Is there a known hut bug? Haven't been able to access it for a week now, have to reset the game every time I try...Xbox one...even uninstalled and reinstalled way too many times....haven't seen this mentioned anywhere
Old 09-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #298
Rookie

swampgator's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
I've never felt like I've been on a roller coaster in regards to the way a game plays more than this game.

There's literally been 4 different versions of this game since (including) the beta.

-Beta
-EA Access release
-EA Access release + patch
-Day 1 patch

And each build has played differently. Beta was great, tons of tweaks, really separated itself for 16'. Then EA Access came, totally different game like they started from scratch. 1st patch brought back some of the tweaks and the game played good again. Day 1 patch, boom, changes out the window. Its like I'm playing 16' again with the exploits of 15'.

Disclosure, I'm 90% an online vs player, 10% EASHL, so if CPU play with sliders is good more power to you guys who strictly play offline, and I HOPE it is good! But online is back to the same glitchy mess it used to be.

I'm sorely disappointed. The AI is SO putrid its disgusting. Not only defensively, but offensively! I've never played an EA NHL game where my offensive AI skates either into the puck carrier or completely away from the logical spot. 17' it happens on a game by game basis. And when the AI just watches loose pucks....I can't describe the frustration.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Any reason I shouldn't return this pos? I'm mostly online vs as well and you're right, in the beta it was sick! Major change in the feel of gameplay. Now, predictably EA has reverted back to an arcade style for children to enjoy. EA rewards poor hockey by dumbing down the game.

I get your frustration man. I'm about to play online vs and if it doesn't play well I just may return my first NHL game ever.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #299
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampgator
Any reason I shouldn't return this pos? I'm mostly online vs as well and you're right, in the beta it was sick! Major change in the feel of gameplay. Now, predictably EA has reverted back to an arcade style for children to enjoy. EA rewards poor hockey by dumbing down the game.

I get your frustration man. I'm about to play online vs and if it doesn't play well I just may return my first NHL game ever.
Tough to say man....I TOTALLY changed my style of play online, and it made it better, but it's still kinda meh.

Your D will fail to stop the predictable, almost unstoppable cross-crease one-timer, no matter what strategy settings. Offensively the AI is baffling, constantly in the way or skating right into you.

Haven't tried EASHL yet so I can't comment on that.

I too thought the beta played great but it seems they've reverted, like you said, to the arcade feel to appease the masses.

I'm going to keep the game because I need my hockey fix. The game is a combination of their best iteration with the same old BS. Its an odd feel really.

I actually just started a Franchise with Al Tito's sliders. While it plays GREAT, that man did major work and its awesome, I can't help but want and miss the human v human aspect of hockey.

I know that probably didn't help much, but I'd say give it a chance. Change some things, try some things differently, hopefully it'll be more enjoyable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #300
Rookie

gopens71's Arena

Still trying to get the feel for the right slider combination. Tried playing Full Sim Pro first time out and got my back side handed to me... too funny. There's so much room for adjustment that it doesn't come easily. Lots of blocked passes and losing the puck seem to be the biggest challenge... What I have always referred to as the vacuum effect. Puck gets hoovered off your stick too easily when you pass near or make any contact with opponent cpu. Always thought even in past games that sliders need to be slightly higher for a few of the human attributes to really seem equal. Acceleration for one... if they are at an even level.. cpu wins every foot race, no matter what zone or circumstance, they beat you to the puck every time & whip around your defense. Also just wondering.... Anyone notice missing players? I mean veterans that were there last year and and now not there at all, not even under scratched. Looked & looked, No Matt Cullen on Pitt? He was there in NHL 16 & last year through the cup finals, then re-signed in the off season. Tried a few different dated rosters. Funny because Pascal Dupuis is still listed as a scratch even though he retired during last season because of health issues.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #301
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens71
Still trying to get the feel for the right slider combination. Tried playing Full Sim Pro first time out and got my back side handed to me... too funny. There's so much room for adjustment that it doesn't come easily. Lots of blocked passes and losing the puck seem to be the biggest challenge... What I have always referred to as the vacuum effect. Puck gets hoovered off your stick too easily when you pass near or make any contact with opponent cpu. Always thought even in past games that sliders need to be slightly higher for a few of the human attributes to really seem equal. Acceleration for one... if they are at an even level.. cpu wins every foot race, no matter what zone or circumstance, they beat you to the puck every time & whip around your defense. Also just wondering.... Anyone notice missing players? I mean veterans that were there last year and and now not there at all, not even under scratched. Looked & looked, No Matt Cullen on Pitt? He was there in NHL 16 & last year through the cup finals, then re-signed in the off season. Tried a few different dated rosters. Funny because Pascal Dupuis is still listed as a scratch even though he retired during last season because of health issues.

The cpu has a few advantages because of how the game "works". The CPu will always have an advantage on speed burst because of how the mechanic works. I've found they still have an advantage in agility. Play around with some sliders because I've actually gotten most of those taken out. I saw Cullen on the Franchise Roster did you check the AHL team? As far as Dupuis, if he is still under contract, he will still be on the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #302
Rookie

OVR: 3

Played about 30 EASHL games and the experience is awful. The only goals I see going in are weak wristers low that bounce off the goalie like his pads are a trampoline for some kind of shovelled in rebound. Or, if you just plow into the goalie without even shooting, the puck goes in 75% of the time, with no goalie interference. The old NHL 15 skate one direction and shoot cross body top shelf goes in 90% of the time.

Why on earth did they release a Beta and then change the entire game - without communication to the public - before release? In Canada, these games cost $90 with tax. Pretty criminal so I don't buy many games @ release anymore. MLB and NHL usually being the only ones. Was super pumped about the methodical NHL sim-style that the beta showcased. Game is utterly broken online at the moment.

There is relatively no difference in player builds besides checking/speed. My grinder can snipe the same cross-body garbage that the sniper can.

Also, is anyone else experiencing 30+ turnovers per game? Any time you are bumped, jostled, or remotely close to a spamming poke check you lose the puck. When you receive a pass and attempt to change directions it feel like you are skating in mud.

Not sure why I continue to put myself through this punishment each year of buying this game only to see some kind of online patch completely ruin the gameplay. Hopefully they read through this thread because it is littered with people who feel the same as we do (friends who have played club since '09 on x360) and they release a tuner that fixes some of this terrible garbage.

I don't play this game offline much because I enjoy the human v human competition - but i might give up on club and try some of these sliders and see how it goes.

/frustrated.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #303
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Despite losing 5-1 to the Preds (as Sens), I had another enjoyable game.
It was 0-0 going into the 3rd period when the wheels came off.
Made two really stupid mistakes in my own end that Forsberg and Jankrok buried.

Then, with the Preds all over me, I rang the puck around the boards to get it out.
Eklhom picks it up, waits for his players to get onsite then bursts into the zone catching most of my tired players flat-footed.
He gets round my one dman then slides a perfect pass over to Colin Wilson for an easy goal.

Preds add another before I finally get on the board with a nice tip by Pageau off a Karlsson blast.

With 19s left in the period, Johansson and Forsberg execute a picture-perfect 2-on-1 with RJ ripping the puck past a diving Andersson.
This goal seriously looked like I was playing a human with how well they took advantage of the odd-man break.

I also want to take back an earlier statement I made about teammates being too dumb to fill holes during an offensive rush.
The last two games I've played, forwards will occupy space created by me when I move to either side of the ice. Really nice to see.

Despite the score, I didn't feel outplayed really. I took it to them for most of the game, but the Preds defensemen kept me on the parameter most of the game and when I did find myself in the crease, Rinne closed the door.

Had another fight that resulted in another broken jaw. So far, 4 fights and two broken jaws.
I hope this isn't an issue going forward.

I can't remember the last time I owned an EA hockey game where I was thinking about it while at work or away from home, but NHL 17 is doing that to me now.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #304
Rookie

Woody19's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree with Money99, same experience here regarding how the AI feels in the offense. I really like the realism.
Only real issue I have is how my own CPU players act on defense: whilst it is really difficult to get into my AI opponent's slot, my own CPU defensemen just can't hold their position: They chase every forward around my own defensive zone, leaving my slot undefended and resulting in a GAA of currently 3.58 goals after 12 games.
BTW, I use "guard the net" and "collapse" tactics.
If anybody knows tactics which are better suited to guard the net, please let me know!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »