Home

why are people not satisfied

This is a discussion on why are people not satisfied within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #25
Yellow n Black

18 eighty 5's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: why are people not satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
I would think that the obvious issue in this is that if there are issues with areas of this game it would be beneficial to bring them to light, rather than to shun and call-out those who choose to do so.

And I would also think that it would be obvious that there is quite a double standard going on here in that it is completely acceptable to make posts and threads that are not only not constructive in a positive manner, but they do nothing but attack the community that is being constructive in naming the specific issues that have plagued this series for nearly a decade.

For every generic "this game sucks!" post there seems to be an equal or greater number of "this game is amazing and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong!". Neither are constructive, but yet the latter (and entire threads such as this one, that offer absolutely nothing) are not only allowed to exist, they are promoted and backed.

If the OP really wished to know the reason why people were unhappy with the game, in any possible capacity, they could have simply read the impressions thread that we are directed to in every forum at this site. To make a thread that simply questions those who differ in opinion offers next to nothing for the community or the development or potential improvement of the game.

And then what really matters is the age old, if you love the game, great. You get to have fun. But if you are struggling with things in the game that are broken beyond your control, then what is your recourse? Be stuck with it, or voice your concerns in a specific manner in the vague hope that someone may pick up on it and address in the future iterations of the series. I think that majority of the people who are "not satisfied" are specifically pointing out what is/are their issue(s) on this site. But the majority of the people who are "satisfied" spend their time defending their opinion rather than being copacetic. Which makes little sense.

Not everyone will have the same experience as you. Not everyone plays the same way as you. Not everyone plays the same modes as you. They are not wrong for doing so, nor are their opinions. In chastising them you hold everyone back from potentially receiving a better product. To not understand this notion is equally as damaging as the threads like this one.
Good points. If this thread is genuinely wanting answers to its question then that is one thing. If it is creating a trap to lure in opinions and then lambaste those it disagrees with that is another.

I have found NHL 17 to be a mixed bag. Sliders help here and there and then the legacy stuff reminds me of why I try and avoid this series. At the moment I'm torn. I love the idea of competition on ice in video game hockey. I love the presentation of NHL17 but I can't help but lose all patience once legacy stuff appears.

Why do my defensemen seem utterly unaware of what is happening on ice? The cpu will skate to cover the guy I'm on leaving 2 guys wide open on the other side. The force fields around cpu puck carriers where my guy ricochetes off an invisible area around the puck carrier in a strange bumping manner etc, etc. The cpu magic puck pick ups etc etc. The list goes on.

There are some nice things the sliders can do this year probably more than ever but when this game bites I just want to turn it off and do something else or play something else.

For mine, I've spent enough time in the series to feel the frustration deeply. That's just me. I'm speaking only for me. I have learnt I'd rather appropriate my time to things that don't get me upset when I'm trying to have fun. And that is the bottom line for me with this series and this latest iteration of it, I still struggle to consistently find it fun and I don't have the patience to put up with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #26
Rookie

Northernwolf's Arena

OVR: 0

I think I understand some of the complaints here, but not all of them.

Be a pro needs improving:
yes it could do with some improvement. There are things in this mode that still make it feel to bare-boned. And no im not saying I want a fancy spike lee movie or for us to have a cinematic journey ala fifa. Actually I hope they never do that. But it would be nice to see the mode get some more specific ways to differentiate itself a bit from Franchise. Giving the players more feedback and more tools to be entertained and eager to continue imrpoving their player is nice for BaP. Goalies could use some refining still, even though I am more happy with this years version than what we have been given for a long.. long time.

The online sucks, aaand I totally get it.
I doubt you will get authentic online hockey anytime soon. I think this has a bit too do with how EA now is going hard for the E-sports venue and want their games to focus more on a level there, and at the same time cater to casuals who just want to cheese it.

And thats fine, but it also takes out the fun for all you authentic online hockey players, and those who just want to have a fun game online.

Whoever said the thing about sliders:
I think you are wrong, sir.
I get the need to have a fine-tuned game from the get go, but at the same time that is like asking if someone likes salt or sugar when it comes NHL.
Enter sliders..

Saying sliders dont work, are lame, cop out etc just tells me that people are either getting a bit lazy or just dont want to try making the game better for themselves, when they have the tools for it.
I get that people have time constraints in their life, but people here at OS have a whole bunch of great sliders for you to play with.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

I bought this game this year after not buying it last year. The game is ok. I usually bitch about the hockey EA present to us each year but the game is just ok. To make it play decently, you need some slider tweaks but the game does become very sluggish to achieve that.

One thing that stands out for me is the sluggishness of the controls and which also ties into the defensive aspects, both AI defense (lacking) and being able to control defensive players with some actual responsiveness. The response of defense is just too sluggish which becomes irritating and aggravating.

The defense needs to be given a good boost and the offense should be harder to implement. The way the sliders work..I don't think at this point it can be done with out downsides (EG -sluggish play for one). Maybe the game needs to build from scratch again, rid the game of all of it's legacy issues. It would be nice to see an over-all switch to certain mechanics of how EA implements hockey.

I would like to also see one main difficulty, and that one is the primary focus of any tweaks going forward. You can decrease/increase difficulty other ways. I think the mechanics should be based heavily on stats and percentages.

I've always pictured something like High Heat Baseball's tune file and editor, where the physical stats and percentages are tied to the game in a big way.

At any rate, the game is ok (offline) but I would love to see a total rebuild.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #28
Rookie

Well the problem is that a million different people have a million different ideas of what hockey is supposed to be. I've never had a problem finding a slider set over the course of a few games that gives me what I want. And what I want is different from other people want.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky
Well the problem is that a million different people have a million different ideas of what hockey is supposed to be. I've never had a problem finding a slider set over the course of a few games that gives me what I want. And what I want is different from other people want.
I agree.

And to do that, EA needs to decide to open up the game and let those million different gamers with a million different needs customize the game (sliders that are intuitive and impactful, editing in all modes) so we're happy playing hockey our way.

I understand a need for leveling the rosters and gameplay for online competition... but offline should be completely opened up.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #30
Pro

stevostl's Arena

I'm totally satisfied with this game. To me this is the best hockey game since NHL 09 where the EASHL debuted and during the first years of that.. like NHL 09 - NHL 11 basically

even as a usual only online EASHL player I'm now even addicted to playing this game offline season with my Blues.

I never even touched Franchise mode in a hockey game before so I might try it but I think I don't want to be overwhelmed.

for offline modes.. what is the best ... season or franchise?

Last edited by stevostl; 10-10-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #31
Rookie

The goalies are mindnumbingly frustrating in this game. I haven't pitched a shutout in a season and 11 games. They consistently let in three or four goals on 20 shots or less. They stink.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »