Home

How is everyone liking the tripping button this year?

This is a discussion on How is everyone liking the tripping button this year? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How is everyone liking the tripping button this year?

I love it. It forces you to adapt your play style for sure, I developed a bad habit of spamming R1 anytime I was near the puck over the past few iterations, I've had to re-teach myself how to play. But that has forced the game to play more like hockey. You have to actually play in good position and use your body to play defense. The defensive skill stick is still really effective at closing down passing lanes too.

Basically, you just have to be really careful with your aim and not spam the button and you'll be fine. If they change this to appease all the casual fans I will be hugely disappointed, so I'm hoping they stick to their guns on this.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
I love it. It forces you to adapt your play style for sure, I developed a bad habit of spamming R1 anytime I was near the puck over the past few iterations, I've had to re-teach myself how to play. But that has forced the game to play more like hockey. You have to actually play in good position and use your body to play defense. The defensive skill stick is still really effective at closing down passing lanes too.

Basically, you just have to be really careful with your aim and not spam the button and you'll be fine. If they change this to appease all the casual fans I will be hugely disappointed, so I'm hoping they stick to their guns on this.
This. You can't fling your stick around in actual hockey and manage to not trip anyone, and it's the same deal here. Sure, it takes some getting used to and I'm getting more tripping calls than I have before, but it's on me.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack72
Don't have the game yet, but this concerns me...until a patch comes out that address this, is it possible to lower the Tripping and/or hooking penalty slider for the user to a very low number where tripping isn't called as much but the poke check slider is still effective?

For example in 2018, I had the user penalty slider around 30 and the CPU penalty slider around 65 -70 and found that tripping and hooking were called on a much more even basis.
It is not as bad as some claim on this thread. It is just hard compared to last year's game which let you go nuts with the poke check. There is less need for the poke compared to last year because the skater is much responsive this year. Well timed / in position pokes are rewarded.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2018, 12:00 AM   #12
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

I had a lot of sucess in my last game with the stick lift instead of the poke check.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

My only issue with it so far is the cpu's indiscipline with it, and them taking too many penalties. Other that that, it works logically, and there are plenty of tools to defend effectively with. Heck, with the smoothed out puck pickups it's easy enough to close a gap on a player and just take the puck without pressing anything.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #14
Just started!

I don't enjoy it, I feel like professional hockey players have more balance and control when their legs and feet come into contact with a stick, that being said, I am moving away from using it at all unless I'm in front of a player and even then, I'm using it sparingly b/c it just isn't worth it. Hopefully they adjust it in an upcoming patch b/c it is very annoying as it is even when you adjust sliders.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
Just started!

RFM275's Arena

It has taken some getting used to but I am finally getting the hang of it. I have been playing since the first NHL way back on Sega Genesis and have gone from a hit everyone approach to the poke check spam that has worked the past few years to now trying to take a balanced approach. I tend to only use the poke check when I am in front of some one or in a solid position. It took a few games for me to get used to not doing it when I am trailing a player as that is when I tend to incur the tripping penalty. Overall my defensive game has been solid this year but I am struggling to score.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Hmm... on second thought, it might be becoming an issue.

I don't seem to have problems with it, but my cpu teammates and the opposing cpu are taking a lot of penalties to the point where the phrase "every figgen game" is starting to be used.

This is on "full-sim"/10-min/default sliders (except for "user strategy adj. which I even at 3). So I'm starting to fear this is going to ruin stats for a season/franchise. I need to play more to see if things will average out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »