Home

NHL 09 to now - which is best?

This is a discussion on NHL 09 to now - which is best? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 09 to now - which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllKings
I haven’t played NHL 14 in years so I cannot speak to that version. I have both NHL 15/Legacy Edition and I don’t like the gameplay in those two versions. I just played a couple of games in NHL 11 today and it plays a lot better IMO. Also, the CPU actually takes penalties in NHL 11. They are few and far between in those other versions mentioned. Overall, I think NHL 11 is the better game. What’s your opinion?
I wish I could add something about NHL 11 - I sadly don't have a copy
Old 04-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #10
Pro

WeAreAllKings's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi

Gotcha. I picked a copy up a while ago as I was looking for a good hockey game for my PS3. You can get it for under $5, so it’s worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #11
Pro

WeAreAllKings's Arena

Quote:

What’s your favorite last gen version of NHL?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
What’s your favorite last gen version of NHL?

It's tough for me to say, as I honestly lost my memory of most of them.

I remember loving NHL 09 because it was such a big change with the skill stick thing and just tons of fun, but I haven't played it forever and don't have it anymore and it's possible it's all rose colored glasses stuff.

I remember feeling that 14/15/Legacy all felt the same to me and so I stayed with Legacy since it's the "last one". If I was somebody who listened to commentary, I'd prefer 14/15 due to the previous commentator duo.

I like Doc in real life games, but I think the implementation of his commentary in the modern games is just dreadful and feels so fake and canned and just not "in the action".
Old 04-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
NHL 09 on PC. (I assume you aren't including 2K in the discussion because that would be a different answer)
A close second is Legacy. But although the gameplay is solid and though it's the only solid NHL since the PS3/360 era, it grows incredibly boring with time. It plays a solid individual game of hockey but fails to differentiate among talented players and teams or in any way create any ambience outside of the gameplay regardless of the mode played.
I have to admit I didn’t think anybody would say NHL 09 on the PC…

Wasn’t that sort of universally panned for not having any of the console versions new features?

I am personally not buying any more console versions. I’m strictly on the PC with gaming from the last few years and moving forward. It would really be good for EA to get all their games on PC at this point again.

I made one final mistake and bought 19 and a PS4 just to play it… Finally sold it all and wished I hadn’t even bothered.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
Pro

WeAreAllKings's Arena

Quote:
It's tough for me to say, as I honestly lost my memory of most of them.

I remember loving NHL 09 because it was such a big change with the skill stick thing and just tons of fun, but I haven't played it forever and don't have it anymore and it's possible it's all rose colored glasses stuff.

I remember feeling that 14/15/Legacy all felt the same to me and so I stayed with Legacy since it's the "last one". If I was somebody who listened to commentary, I'd prefer 14/15 due to the previous commentator duo.

I like Doc in real life games, but I think the implementation of his commentary in the modern games is just dreadful and feels so fake and canned and just not "in the action".

I’m just the opposite about the commentary team. I like Gary Thorne and Bill Clement a lot better. If EA was to capture Doc Emrick’s true emotions when commentating a hockey, it would make me change my mind. It’s been the same canned commentary in next gen ever since NHL 15/16....

Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #15
Pro

WeAreAllKings's Arena

Quote:
I have to admit I didn’t think anybody would say NHL 09 on the PC…

Wasn’t that sort of universally panned for not having any of the console versions new features?

I am personally not buying any more console versions. I’m strictly on the PC with gaming from the last few years and moving forward. It would really be good for EA to get all their games on PC at this point again.

I made one final mistake and bought 19 and a PS4 just to play it… Finally sold it all and wished I hadn’t even bothered.

Why was NHL 19 a mistake? I use to have the same thought too, but after finding the right slider set, I really enjoy it now. It still has its flaws obviously, but I’ve grown to like it nonetheless....

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
I’m just the opposite about the commentary team. I like Gary Thorne and Bill Clement a lot better. If EA was to capture Doc Emrick’s true emotions when commentating a hockey, it would make me change my mind. It’s been the same canned commentary in next gen ever since NHL 15/16....

?
I think maybe I didn't articulate myself well.

I absolutely, also, love the previous commentary team.
The first thing I did was turn off awful current gen commentary.

That said I don't actually listen to commentary period at this point - I usually am taking in a podcast or music when playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »