Home

I don't get it...

This is a discussion on I don't get it... within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
Rookie

CDN_MTN_BEAR's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
It’s common with players that choke. They are good at finding blame anywhere but themselves.
And that is a common response for both ignorance and idiocy. Good job.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Banned

I love that EA releasing a patch is proof that **** talking the game from release to release is what works.

Well done!

Guess what? EA is probably going to make an NHL 21(only “probably” because of the pandemic), and it’s going to cater to the same folks they were trying to cater to this time.

You won’t like it. I’m positive. They might reel you in with some PR like Madden’s X-Factors actually being more sim. But you know you won’t like the game.

But you will buy it and complain for another year. Rinse repeat for NHL 22, 23, and so on.

How many years has it been that you enjoyed and EA NHL game?

For me, baseball is the game I grew up on. Every other sport was secondary. While Cards stunk when I was young, watching Lou Brock chase down Ty Cobb’s stolen base record made me a fan for life, and a fan that understands the importance of its numbers and history.

I bought a PS4 just for The Show. For two years, over two versions of the game, I tried as hard as I could to enjoy it. For me, it was a soulless, joyless game. So I sent my PS4 to my daughter, who is a Persona fanatic, and moved on.

I could have spent years in the Show forums trying to advocate for change, to make the game how I want it.

Instead, I’ve enjoyed my gaming more by focusing on the games I like and still play. NHL 20 is a game I still boot up and play, along with Madden.

I really grew tired of the NBA2K series, a year or two before EA put out a Live game worth playing. Again, I just quit playing it instead of going to the 2K forum and complaining. Instead, I put more time into the NHL game. When Live 19 came out, I really liked it. But you can’t talk Live 19 without the same dudes bitching about it. And they have another game to play.

It’s sad that OS has been majorly reduced to a **** talking forum on games. Liking a game is viewed as weak. At this point, I think Super Mega Baseball is the only game that doesn’t have a ton of people crapping in the game.

The Show and 2K are the only other games with more comments on the game than about how bad the game is, and they’ve been trending significantly more negative.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #11
MVP

I respect your view, but I want to play a hockey game. Not just any video game.

My guess is that is why so many complain, when the only current option, does not cut it for so many people.

I still agree that it is sad when communities turn into places where there are mostly complaints though...

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html

Last edited by nikethebike; 04-09-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #12
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I love that EA releasing a patch is proof that **** talking the game from release to release is what works.

Well done!

Guess what? EA is probably going to make an NHL 21(only “probably” because of the pandemic), and it’s going to cater to the same folks they were trying to cater to this time.

You won’t like it. I’m positive. They might reel you in with some PR like Madden’s X-Factors actually being more sim. But you know you won’t like the game.

But you will buy it and complain for another year. Rinse repeat for NHL 22, 23, and so on.

How many years has it been that you enjoyed and EA NHL game?

For me, baseball is the game I grew up on. Every other sport was secondary. While Cards stunk when I was young, watching Lou Brock chase down Ty Cobb’s stolen base record made me a fan for life, and a fan that understands the importance of its numbers and history.

I bought a PS4 just for The Show. For two years, over two versions of the game, I tried as hard as I could to enjoy it. For me, it was a soulless, joyless game. So I sent my PS4 to my daughter, who is a Persona fanatic, and moved on.

I could have spent years in the Show forums trying to advocate for change, to make the game how I want it.

Instead, I’ve enjoyed my gaming more by focusing on the games I like and still play. NHL 20 is a game I still boot up and play, along with Madden.

I really grew tired of the NBA2K series, a year or two before EA put out a Live game worth playing. Again, I just quit playing it instead of going to the 2K forum and complaining. Instead, I put more time into the NHL game. When Live 19 came out, I really liked it. But you can’t talk Live 19 without the same dudes bitching about it. And they have another game to play.

It’s sad that OS has been majorly reduced to a **** talking forum on games. Liking a game is viewed as weak. At this point, I think Super Mega Baseball is the only game that doesn’t have a ton of people crapping in the game.

The Show and 2K are the only other games with more comments on the game than about how bad the game is, and they’ve been trending significantly more negative.
Bolded part: If that's what you got out of my post, then you didn't read my post. I specifically highlighted why it's lazy and unfair for you to assume everyone that discusses shortcomings of the game simply "hates it" and only complains. I also never said "**** talking the game leads to change" I specifically mentioned constructive dialogue WITH developers which should indicate that the discussions were far from mindless complaining and "**** talking" as certainly the developers wouldn't positively respond to that, nor should they. I also specifically agreed with you when it comes to non-constructive posts that clearly were written by people just looking to complain without giving even an ounce of useful feedback. I even said that your approach to gaming is quite valid. I find nothing "weak" or "wrong" about liking something, but I just find it a tad hypocritical to call out people for "always complaining" when you're also playing the victim card here when you say people find you "weak" for liking something. I mean, I want to be the change that I desire. If I were feeling excluded due to my opinions, I would be the first to NOT do the same thing. To me, this seems like you're wanting to make OS an echo-chamber that fits your opinions, rather than just making this forum more constructive. Negative opinions /= not constructive, you know? This mentality is why I give feedback on games. If I want something, I should probably express it right? Staying silent doesn't get anything changed, right? Entering threads just to call-out someone for "complaining" is no different than me coming to your post and calling you a "fanboy" right?

The EA forums had some massively constructive and polite threads this year and in 19 about AI issues on the rush. These problems have existed for years, but what do you know? Two straight releases of constructive feedback with tons of video proof finally lead to a patch that fixed the exact problems us "complainers" pointed-out via a forum.

I guess I just have a different mindset then you when it comes to feedback. Constructive feedback /= complaining in my book. I can love hockey, and I can do my best to enjoy the game (which I do) but that doesn't mean I can't be negative about it. I wouldn't run my own 40-team league in a complete roundabout way if I didn't enjoy aspects of the game. That also doesn't mean that I can't call-out egregious faults in the game that are constantly ruining my experience. I love making my own leagues, teams, and "world" in a sense, and I get past the "small" things by imagining my league is an "eSport" league which is a loose-way to explain for wonky behavior sometimes.

I'd say most users that actually understand the sport of hockey more than on a casual fan level, have a severe case of love/hate relationship with this game. With sliders (when they're working properly) the gameplay can feel very realistic at times especially when you use strategy adjustments to coax the CPU into playing a more aggressive brand of hockey like we see at the pro level. That gameplay experience can get thrown-out the window in a second though when you see a backside defender skate to the corner or come to a complete stop on a 2-on-1 whether it's your AI, the CPU's, or your human opponent's. It's just a really bad play. Thankfully that play is fixed now, but it still doesn't mean I'll stop giving feedback on other parts of the game that do this to me.

I've enjoyed NHL 20 this year, especially post-patch. The defense looks great on the rush! I've also loved the CaT suite this whole generation and how they've constantly updated the jersey templates (I want those sock templates still though...). Again, I'm loving my sliders when the game doesn't decide we're playing by a different set of them randomly, and of course I'm going to continue "complaining" about this issue, as it's an extremely annoying issue that prevents me from thoroughly enjoying the game experience I built via their sliders. As far as buying the game this year, I wasn't going to buy 20 but being a RL goalie, I couldn't pass-up the goalie stick and blocker deflections. It's such a huge gamechanger for me as the game looks and feels that much more immersive to me. It also adds validity to rebounds now. The goalies actually possess a tool to counter turds, so offline, I am actually free to shot low on goalies now and not feel like I'm abusing the game. So as you can tell, I certainly get enjoyment out of this game. Does that mean I'll pretend it's perfect? Absolutely not! There's a laundry list of things with the AI alone that could get better, but that doesn't mean I hate the game. Again, discussing all of the shortcomings and wishes of other community members gives me hope for future games. Are our ideas realistically going to be implemented? Probably not, but that doesn't mean it's not fun or right to talk about those things with people. It also shows that there's a community out there who cares and are all really passionate about the sport!

TL;DR version: I hate non-constructive posts too, but I don't consider something to be "non-constructive" simply because it doesn't fit my personal opinion on the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »