Home

The CPU does not play fair

This is a discussion on The CPU does not play fair within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The CPU does not play fair

The CPU does not play fair in this game and there's no way to actually fix it, just mitigate it. It starts with turning acceleration down to around 10 and CPU pass accuracy to 0. Despite this, they still win more puck battles than not, they still break the physics engine when they want, they still react to plays faster than your AI. It's a mess.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:00 AM   #10
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
The CPU does not play fair in this game and there's no way to actually fix it, just mitigate it. It starts with turning acceleration down to around 10 and CPU pass accuracy to 0. Despite this, they still win more puck battles than not, they still break the physics engine when they want, they still react to plays faster than your AI. It's a mess.
i totally DISAGREE with you..

try my sliders on the previous post..

I have played 1000s of games to perfect them. Keep in mind they are for POSITION LOCK and BRODCAST camera. I don't know how they play on different cameras.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #11
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
i totally DISAGREE with you..

try my sliders on the previous post..

I have played 1000s of games to perfect them. Keep in mind they are for POSITION LOCK and BRODCAST camera. I don't know how they play on different cameras.
I've mitigated the CPU skating bonuses but there's an underlying fundamental difference in what they get to do when it comes to pivoting and acceleration, so it's not 100% fixable just via sliders. I don't doubt that your AI play better when position locked, but it's not the way I like to play because I make much more realistic plays and puck movements that my AI counterparts. Long-story short, reaching true "Fair" is not possible. Reaching "acceptable" or "playable" or dare I say "occasionally fun" is 100% doable and I have no doubts that you did that.

I always tell people that 21 specifically is in a state where it is what you make of it. If you only play online or you are unwilling to adjust sliders and strategies and think outside the box a bit offline, this game will not be an enjoyable experience. I've gotten many hours of it myself due to me creating my own league, rosters, global edits, sliders, strategy settings, and house rules to produce a pretty enjoyable experience in small doses, but many people lack the creativity or dedication to make this game fun which is understandable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
HERE you go... Let me know what you think..

I think they work pretty well though still can't get used to broadcast camera. One interesting thing I noticed though with the player lock is that it forces me to know the position I'm playing and where I'm supposed to be on the ice. That's not something I concerned myself with when I was always the puck handler. First few times I tried it, I think I personally was offside about 10 times. Since your CPU teammates will always make sure they're onside, then as the puck handler I was by definition always onside. I still give up goals though and get the "missed assignment" message, but it goes so quick like I'm not sure where to be, I'm guarding this guy (I assume that's what the red arrows mean) and then it says never mind, go guard him (I guess the green arrows mean I'm doing it right?). But it forces me to get to know the X's and O's a bit better and appreciate the strategies but I've got some ways to go on that.

Side question: The gameplay sliders, does the human slider apply only to me, or do they apply to CPU controlled teammates too?
Old 09-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #13
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
I've mitigated the CPU skating bonuses but there's an underlying fundamental difference in what they get to do when it comes to pivoting and acceleration, so it's not 100% fixable just via sliders. I don't doubt that your AI play better when position locked, but it's not the way I like to play because I make much more realistic plays and puck movements that my AI counterparts. Long-story short, reaching true "Fair" is not possible. Reaching "acceptable" or "playable" or dare I say "occasionally fun" is 100% doable and I have no doubts that you did that.

I always tell people that 21 specifically is in a state where it is what you make of it. If you only play online or you are unwilling to adjust sliders and strategies and think outside the box a bit offline, this game will not be an enjoyable experience. I've gotten many hours of it myself due to me creating my own league, rosters, global edits, sliders, strategy settings, and house rules to produce a pretty enjoyable experience in small doses, but many people lack the creativity or dedication to make this game fun which is understandable.

I do see what you're saying, in that the CPU, being a computer, can obviously move, turn, pivot, react, etc., faster than a human player, no matter how skilled, can do, that it seems the CPU opponents just are too fast and quick to keep up with. That said, @BigBadAss33 sliders do work well for me, and I like the position lock though it took me some time to get used to. That way it doesn't seem like I'm trying to control 5 players at once.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

so later after I went and visited all online modes and other modes, it kept saying 'downloading gameplay update', I was Instantly that's weird, so I went played be a pro goalie, suddenly it was like something got patched or fixed or adjusted, I am now getting sniped left and right and short side scored on, I cannot make it out the first period without being 3-2 or 2-2 or 4-2 or 2-1, I am now looking into it to see there's missing CPU Boost within the settings its self, am thinking its puck control rating and puck control and fight difficulty and aggression and size effect and checking and balance.

I just don't know what's causing it, another explanation could be the Attribute Effects and AI learning mixed with those other settings mentioned up above, am not 100 percent sure, what's causing AI to snipe really good lately.

I am stumped.

now one setting I did test was puck control rating: CPU: 85 / Human: 85, it did play good, AI CPU Calmed down after a while, now another setting is puck pickups setting, I have this setting at CPU: 79 / Human: 79, now at beginning of the year I had it at CPU: 76 / Human: 76.

anyways everything is a mess right now, am not entirely sure what's causing it.

now another thing could be: Shot accuracy and slap shot accuracy and one-timer accuracy and shot power and slap shot power, maybe they adjusted these to be more effective lately.

now another thing could be is pass reception ease: CPU: 55 / Human: 55, maybe need to lower to CPU: 40-45 / Human: 40-45. The now-slider below it may need to be adjusted also, again might mix with other settings mention above not sure.

Last edited by SuperGoalies; 09-30-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #15
Pro

servo75's Arena

Idk I never control the goalie unless the ratings were maxed out or a rookie defenseman I'd make look like Ovechkin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGoalies
so later after I went and visited all online modes and other modes, it kept saying 'downloading gameplay update', I was Instantly that's weird, so I went played be a pro goalie, suddenly it was like something got patched or fixed or adjusted, I am now getting sniped left and right and short side scored on, I cannot make it out the first period without being 3-2 or 2-2 or 4-2 or 2-1, I am now looking into it to see there's missing CPU Boost within the settings its self, am thinking its puck control rating and puck control and fight difficulty and aggression and size effect and checking and balance.

I just don't know what's causing it, another explanation could be the Attribute Effects and AI learning mixed with those other settings mentioned up above, am not 100 percent sure, what's causing AI to snipe really good lately.

I am stumped.

now one setting I did test was puck control rating: CPU: 85 / Human: 85, it did play good, AI CPU Calmed down after a while, now another setting is puck pickups setting, I have this setting at CPU: 79 / Human: 79, now at beginning of the year I had it at CPU: 76 / Human: 76.

anyways everything is a mess right now, am not entirely sure what's causing it.

now another thing could be: Shot accuracy and slap shot accuracy and one-timer accuracy and shot power and slap shot power, maybe they adjusted these to be more effective lately.

now another thing could be is pass reception ease: CPU: 55 / Human: 55, maybe need to lower to CPU: 40-45 / Human: 40-45. The now-slider below it may need to be adjusted also, again might mix with other settings mention above not sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »