Home

The CPU does not play fair

This is a discussion on The CPU does not play fair within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2021, 12:36 AM   #1
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
The CPU does not play fair

There, I said it. First I know this might seem obvious, but the CPU has the advantage of being, well, a computer. A human-controlled player cannot possibly react as quickly, turn as sharply, aim as accurately as a computer. Common sense. But there are examples that go beyond that. I might lose a faceoff because I react too early or late, or ice the puck because we miss a pass. But the PERFECT CPU never experiences these things, since being a computer it's immune from human error. How is that fair?

1. Clearing the puck when short handed. If I'm on the power play, the CPU player gets the puck and it's instantly perfectly arced down the ice, my players are helpless to stop and keep it in the zone. Utter perfection. When I try to clear the puck, half the time it doesn't get aloft and is blocked by a CPU player, or hits my own player, or even worse, somehow ends up flying out of bounds and I get hit with a SECOND penalty for delay of game. Can we at least turn that off? Now maybe I'm not doing it completely correct, but interesting that the CPU NEVER makes those mistakes. Perfect execution every time, almost as if it was done by a computer.

2. The speed, agility, and passing of the CPU offense is impossible to keep up with. They move so fast and so quick that I don't know who to cover and can't get to the player in time. When I'm on offense, I get the puck and am immediately slammed and lose the puck, I can't hold on to it for more than 0.5 seconds. It's always getting stolen or blocked or intercepted. Maybe I need to work on that, but again, the CPU is FLAWLESS. Perfect tape-to-tape passes, perfect agility and puck control, expertly weavving in and out of crevices in my defense with clockwork precision, doing that stick-shaking thingie by my goalie. Un-checkable, you can't get to them they slip in and out so fast, I mean they're too perfect and unstoppable. Meanwhile I can't move one foot or execute one pass without the CPU making a perfect defensive play.

And I'm only playing on Pro. If I go to Semi-Pro I win 7-1 every single time, so that's my usual complaint there's too much difference between skill levels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2021, 01:09 AM   #2
MVP

SuperGoalies's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The CPU does not play fair

Honestly, I always knew that the last time I won the Stanley cup was in 2016, these past 2 years of the NHL series has been tough, this years game, the AI Human goalie seems nerfed, I had to raise cross-crease to save reaction to 100, then raise save reaction time: 85 and deflections save reaction time to 86.

when I play goalie, AI CPU shows no mercy, I win games constantly by 7-5 6-3 or 6-4 or 6-5, that's when I noticed it, per period AI CPU changes and becomes smarter, so if you are leading 4-2, you need to have team score 6-2, cause AI CPU will try to make changes to tie the game.

I called it aggressive changes-comeback logic, its new system they added to the game, also if you pause the game, the game will play differently, now this system is slightly different from sliders, I'd say its mechanic split from the game itself, you can only change it through pausing the game.

pause and unpausing game effects it.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:40 AM   #3
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Icon14 Re: The CPU does not play fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
There, I said it. First I know this might seem obvious, but the CPU has the advantage of being, well, a computer. A human-controlled player cannot possibly react as quickly, turn as sharply, aim as accurately as a computer. Common sense. But there are examples that go beyond that. I might lose a faceoff because I react too early or late, or ice the puck because we miss a pass. But the PERFECT CPU never experiences these things, since being a computer it's immune from human error. How is that fair?

1. Clearing the puck when short handed. If I'm on the power play, the CPU player gets the puck and it's instantly perfectly arced down the ice, my players are helpless to stop and keep it in the zone. Utter perfection. When I try to clear the puck, half the time it doesn't get aloft and is blocked by a CPU player, or hits my own player, or even worse, somehow ends up flying out of bounds and I get hit with a SECOND penalty for delay of game. Can we at least turn that off? Now maybe I'm not doing it completely correct, but interesting that the CPU NEVER makes those mistakes. Perfect execution every time, almost as if it was done by a computer.

2. The speed, agility, and passing of the CPU offense is impossible to keep up with. They move so fast and so quick that I don't know who to cover and can't get to the player in time. When I'm on offense, I get the puck and am immediately slammed and lose the puck, I can't hold on to it for more than 0.5 seconds. It's always getting stolen or blocked or intercepted. Maybe I need to work on that, but again, the CPU is FLAWLESS. Perfect tape-to-tape passes, perfect agility and puck control, expertly weavving in and out of crevices in my defense with clockwork precision, doing that stick-shaking thingie by my goalie. Un-checkable, you can't get to them they slip in and out so fast, I mean they're too perfect and unstoppable. Meanwhile I can't move one foot or execute one pass without the CPU making a perfect defensive play.

And I'm only playing on Pro. If I go to Semi-Pro I win 7-1 every single time, so that's my usual complaint there's too much difference between skill levels.

Servo75,

Let me start off by saying I agree with you in general. I have a few questions for you and then if I'm right in my analysis I have a fix for you.

1. Do you have custom sliders installed?
2. Do you change to the closest player to the puck while playing?
3. Do you know where to be in most situations for every position?

I know those are weird questions but i swear my fix will help and make this game play 1000 times better.

Here is my solution for you to help you out

1. If you don't have custom sliders installed and are playing on OOTB sliders your dead meat, you need to find a custom set and use it (i suggest TNK)
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...1-sliders.html

2. Have you ever played on POSITION LOCK? - IMO this is the BIGGEST change that you will make. I have played 1000's of games and playing position lock FORCES your AI controlled players to actually play their position as long as YOU play yours. TRUST me it makes a HUGE difference.

3. Last but not least - GAMNER SPPED at 0,1 or 2. Anything higher and the game moves way to fast.

my biggest advice is learn to play on position lock. it really changes how the game plays.

I hope this helps

Let me know what you think
Old 07-20-2021, 02:00 AM   #4
Pro

servo75's Arena

Thanks for replying, I appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
Servo75,

Let me start off by saying I agree with you in general. I have a few questions for you and then if I'm right in my analysis I have a fix for you.

1. Do you have custom sliders installed?
2. Do you change to the closest player to the puck while playing?
3. Do you know where to be in most situations for every position?

1. Yes I do, still playing around with them.

2. No I try not to change to the closest player, I try to be the last guy back to allow the CPU to set up defense first. But sometimes I can't help myself.

3. Almost definitely not. I'm not really an Xs and Os guy.

Quote:

I know those are weird questions but i swear my fix will help and make this game play 1000 times better.

Here is my solution for you to help you out

1. If you don't have custom sliders installed and are playing on OOTB sliders your dead meat, you need to find a custom set and use it (i suggest TNK)
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...1-sliders.html

2. Have you ever played on POSITION LOCK? - IMO this is the BIGGEST change that you will make. I have played 1000's of games and playing position lock FORCES your AI controlled players to actually play their position as long as YOU play yours. TRUST me it makes a HUGE difference.

3. Last but not least - GAMNER SPPED at 0,1 or 2. Anything higher and the game moves way to fast.

That I usually do.

Quote:

my biggest advice is learn to play on position lock. it really changes how the game plays.

I hope this helps

Let me know what you think

Thanks!!!

I will try those slider settings. I try not to use other people's settings because invariably they're meant for high skill levels and what's good for a person of that level may be too difficult for me. But I'll give that set a try since you recommended it. No I haven't tried position lock, I suppose just learning one position and sticking with it will help, but as I said I'm not really understanding the Xs and Os strategy beyond just the bare basics. RW and LW match up with defenders, and Cs match with each other. But in terms of who covers this guy in the slot or at the point or at the wall I'm totally lost, then you've got 2-3 and 1-4 and 1-3-1 and weak side lock and all that terminology. I usually just set "Human adjustments" at like 5 and let the CPU handle that but that still begs the question, Okay, now what do I do to play that position?

Last edited by servo75; 07-20-2021 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:12 AM   #5
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for replying, I appreciate your help!

I will try those slider settings. I try not to use other people's settings because invariably they're meant for high skill levels and what's good for a person of that level may be too difficult for me. But I'll give that set a try since you recommended it. No I haven't tried position lock, I suppose just learning one position and sticking with it will help, but as I said I'm not really understanding the Xs and Os strategy beyond just the bare basics. RW and LW match up with defenders, and Cs match with each other. But in terms of who covers this guy in the slot or at the point or at the wall I'm totally lost, then you've got 2-3 and 1-4 and 1-3-1 and weak side lock and all that terminology. I usually just set "Human adjustments" at like 5 and let the CPU handle that but that still begs the question, Okay, now what do I do to play that position?
So your talking about TEAM STRATEGIES. those are pretty basic.

here are my ALWAYS go to strategies

WEAK SIDE LOCK
1-3-1
shooting or Overload Power play
Diamond for PK

The rest don't worry about to much

When on the team select screen click the L3 to select position.

I also forgot to ask.. What Camera do you play on? That also makes a HUGE difference. I also recommend playing on BROADCAST camera and controller settings at ALWAYS UP

Let me know.. I will post my exact sliders if you want. just let me know
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
Pro

servo75's Arena

Quote:
So your talking about TEAM STRATEGIES. those are pretty basic.

here are my ALWAYS go to strategies

WEAK SIDE LOCK
1-3-1
shooting or Overload Power play
Diamond for PK

The rest don't worry about to much

When on the team select screen click the L3 to select position.

I also forgot to ask.. What Camera do you play on? That also makes a HUGE difference. I also recommend playing on BROADCAST camera and controller settings at ALWAYS UP

Let me know.. I will post my exact sliders if you want. just let me know

Hi and thanks again. I would appreciate you sending the sliders. I just don't know if the slider sets I see are meant for the particular skill level, like the on you linked said "All Star" or whatever the highest level is.

I tried many of the ideas you suggested. I like the player lock thing, because when I wasn't player-locking it felt like I had to play the opposing team almost all by myself and often got lost and my weakness defensively was getting too aggressive and going for the big hit or check then the guy gets past me does his little stick-wiggling thing and scores. It was a bit to get used to because I wasn't always sure where to position myself and gave up 2 goals because the on-ice trainer told me I was out of position, but it did tell me I played the position well offensively (I was playing C). The other thing I have to get used to with player lock, is that we got caught offsides very often because I wasn't watching where I was. When I always control the puck carrier it's easier, but now a CPU teammate will bring the puck in even when he sees I'm in there.

What does it mean when that blue polygon shows up in the D zone? And sometimes I would see a path of red arrows leading from me to the other side of the ice.

I will try some of the other suggestions like the sliders. I'm afraid the broadcast cam is a no-go, I'm just so used to always going up, it was very disorienting. I compromised and went with Dynamic High (used to use Dynamic Medium) and it seemed to work okay.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:27 AM   #7
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Hi and thanks again. I would appreciate you sending the sliders. I just don't know if the slider sets I see are meant for the particular skill level, like the on you linked said "All Star" or whatever the highest level is.

I tried many of the ideas you suggested. I like the player lock thing, because when I wasn't player-locking it felt like I had to play the opposing team almost all by myself and often got lost and my weakness defensively was getting too aggressive and going for the big hit or check then the guy gets past me does his little stick-wiggling thing and scores. It was a bit to get used to because I wasn't always sure where to position myself and gave up 2 goals because the on-ice trainer told me I was out of position, but it did tell me I played the position well offensively (I was playing C). The other thing I have to get used to with player lock, is that we got caught offsides very often because I wasn't watching where I was. When I always control the puck carrier it's easier, but now a CPU teammate will bring the puck in even when he sees I'm in there.

What does it mean when that blue polygon shows up in the D zone? And sometimes I would see a path of red arrows leading from me to the other side of the ice.

I will try some of the other suggestions like the sliders. I'm afraid the broadcast cam is a no-go, I'm just so used to always going up, it was very disorienting. I compromised and went with Dynamic High (used to use Dynamic Medium) and it seemed to work okay.
Awesome some of my suggestions are helping.

As i said in previous post BRODCAST camera is not easy BUT it makes the AI play completely different than on overhead. I know that sounds strange, remember i have played 1000s of games on various cameras and IMO the CPU plays better on BROADCAST.

Trust me... Stick with it and you will notice a HUGE difference. IO myself find it easier to play on because thats how we WATCH real games on TV.

I will post my sliders for you ASAP. Just keep in mind they play differently on different cameras.

BTW i play on PRO level with adjusted SLIDERS because on anything higher the goalies are impossible to score on.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:12 AM   #8
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:

HERE you go... Let me know what you think..

GAME SETTINGS
Game Play Presets: Custom
Game Style: Custom
Post Whistle Rules: NHL

RULES
Fighting: 2/2
Icicng: Hybrid
INJURIES: ON
Offsides: Delayed
Penalties: 3 /4
Trapezoid Rule: ON
Period Length: 7 Minutes