Home

Grappling - Is KO mode a step backwards?

This is a discussion on Grappling - Is KO mode a step backwards? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Grappling - Is KO mode a step backwards?

Most people do not have an appreciation for the ground game even some MMA fans. There are some who just play this game because FN is not around.

I like the direction they are going with the ground game where it is more fluid and not so turn based. (although...when I think of what is happening on the ground turn based sort of makes sense because you always have to react to other person)...but anyway...I am optimistic with the direction they are going as I see it as possibly the games biggest improvement.

Now that being said....they have also installed KO mode. My concern is that all this attention will be paid to the ground and user (online) will avoid the full UFC game and go to the K1 style KO mode. To me it will take away from the attention and the work they are doing on the ground.

Who is going to care about improving their ground skill and the game improving its ground realism if everyone is in KO mode? Currently people want the ground to make sense and are forced to use it because if you run into a ground beast you better know what you are doing are you will get suffocated. Now instead of people adapting and getting better and in the process appreciating the sport as a whole better...they can just never have to face it. That mindset is that opposite of the mindset of the sport and its roots which was always that all aspects of fighting are incorporated in and you need to be well rounded in all areas to be successful.

Imagine if in NBA2K they made a dunk-only game (it would be NBA jam) or if in MLB the Show there was a homer only game (it would be the Bigs). Point is...that is a separate game doesn't make sense in an EA UFC sports title imo.

Last edited by MLBUFC; 11-16-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Grappling - Is KO mode a step backwards?

I think people on the EA Forums are making a bigger deal out of the mode than they should. Here is how I think of it:

Its the Home Run Derby mode in The Show.

No one says "Nobody plays full baseball games on the Show because of Home Run Derby mode".

We also need to stop describing it as a "K1 mode" because its not really. There is more info set to come out about the mode and I think everyone has a slight misconception about what the mode actually is. I wish I could say more but I cant.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

The more modes the better, imo.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
The more modes the better, imo.
This was exactly what I was going to say.

Back when the first THQ game came out my wife and I used to play together. She could hang when it was standing, but as soon as we went to the ground I could basically Fitch her for the entire round. She would get mad and as any married man knows "happy wife, happy life" so I stopped taking her down and just stood the entire fight...... Hell, I would even let her win some too

My point is this mode may not necessarily be for the hardcore MMA guys, but it will be great for a) people beginning to learn the game and b) casuals who just want rock'em sock'em robots. Besides, I'm sure that there's still plenty of improvements to the ground game as evidenced by GameplayDev's hints.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 11-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

To even think this is a step backwards blows my mind to no degree.

I personally just want to swing and not worry about ground game sometimes. Finally I can do that. This will get sales.

They aren't taking away anything in other modes for MMA. It's simply a fun mode to just duke it out and not worry about the complicated ground controls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Banned

I hear what you guys are saying...I 99.99999% of the time thinks more modes are better.

I just think given the nature and history of this particular sport that to embrace only a singular aspect of the game diminishes the totality of the sport. The sport is about being well rounded. in MMA you have to know how to play smallball and hit the homerun. If not...someone will expose you and that is the fun. The more people playing rock em sock em robots. The fewer who are mastering the game.

I hate when I can't find a legit all around fighter online and I run into a guy with solid standup...but as soon as you take him down he is a fish out of water and you either have to let him up or he will start calling you names for being better on the ground or quit.

As this mode is described it feels that those guys will be even worse on the ground because they are running to this mode. Or even worse...I won't be able to find dudes online and will have to play this limited mode myself just to get a match in.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

OVR: 6

sounds like an attempt to rub off MKX just to be honest.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuki
sounds like an attempt to rub off MKX just to be honest.
not unless Machida literally turns into a dragon and tears someones head off. Apples and oranges

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »