Home

Will strikers be able to defeat ground Caesars more easily?

This is a discussion on Will strikers be able to defeat ground Caesars more easily? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Will strikers be able to defeat ground Caesars more easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaLemur
I play against 100 overall super CAFs with all level 5 moves and I don't have this problem. The stat advantage can only get you so far. It's hard to say this stuff without sounding like an elitist, but you just aren't good enough if you can't punish someone spamming the clinch.

There is a fine line between cheese and mechanics that take some time to master. Sometimes people confuse the two.
Sure, the other guy may be better in the clinch than I, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the mechanic is broken in UFC2, not to mention boring, standing in the middle of the cage in single collar endlessly throwing elbows and knees, waiting to see who transitions first so you can deny and get the advantage.

Take the Rousey vs. Holm fight. Ronda wasn't able to clinch Holly and got punished hard for it, but in UFC2 it is pretty much impossible to avoid grappling. Pick a strong grappler like Khabib, lumber forward, and do endless 50/50 takedowns/single collar mixups until one gets through.

I personally liked the ground game in UFC2, but I hated the clinch. I really hope this if fixed in UFC3
Old 11-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #50
Banned

Broken does not mean "not ideal". The system works the way it's intended. Boring is your opinion so I'm going to factor that out of your complaint. It's very arcadey, yes, but broken means it presents an unintended unequal opportunity to succeed based on the mechanics or there is a glitch with the system.

Your Khabib argument is simply not true. The only reason you'd bring him up is because he has good clinch stats. I just told you I fight guys with MUCH higher stat differentials and still succeed. I'm good, but I'm not working magic here. The stat advantage argument is invalid.

Stop saying it's broken. Just say you don't like it.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #51
Pro

Quote:
Broken does not mean "not ideal". The system works the way it's intended. Boring is your opinion so I'm going to factor that out of your complaint. It's very arcadey, yes, but broken means it presents an unintended unequal opportunity to succeed based on the mechanics or there is a glitch with the system.

Your Khabib argument is simply not true. The only reason you'd bring him up is because he has good clinch stats. I just told you I fight guys with MUCH higher stat differentials and still succeed. I'm good, but I'm not working magic here. The stat advantage argument is invalid.

Stop saying it's broken. Just say you don't like it.
So you're saying it was intended by the developers to make it extremely easy to avoid all striking and force your opponent to grapple? Did you even read what I wrote? I can pick Alex Caceres yet still not keep my opponent on the outside because they can just walk through my strikes and spam endless clinch attempts with no risk or stamina loss until they get it, and you're saying this is working as intended?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #52
Banned

I'm saying you're obviously being hyperbolic to try and gain an edge to your argument and terrible in the game as that would never happen to me, nor can I do that to good players. I thought we were having a discussion but it's clear you just want a space to cry about a mechanic you can't grasp.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #53
Pro

The ground game has some changes to it, we already know the damage and stamina system is different.
Arm trapping and blocking is different.

Finish the fight submissions is new. Simple submissions is new. The new Knockdown states will have a play in the ground game. I seen a post stating GnP is a little different. Might be some more surprises but I'm looking forward to seeing how all aspects of the game work. That way I'm ready for anything thrown at me and take the fight anywhere I want to go.

With the new practice mode recording you can use that to really train yourself in a way we weren't able to before. So if you struggled with a game plan try to recreate that game plan and the CPU will play out what you recorded.

Anything you struggle with the new practice mode will help you with stand up, clinch, and ground game.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #54
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Quote:
Clinch spamming is like cultural appropriation, it doesn't exist. Half of the positions in the clinch are mirrored, meaning: you can do the exact same things to them as they can to you. It's not magic and it's not particularly overpowered. In the Thai clinch you can actually see where they are blocking if you're dominant and you can see where they are going to attack and block before you get hit if you're submissive.

They made the denial window so large for direct entries into the Thai and double unders you can deny when rocked and have no stamina and you can easily deny neutral positions if you know they're looking for the clinch.

Those easy transitions into takedowns you mentioned are a feature. It's called momentum advantage. Yes, if I transition into the single collar from Thai I have a ridiculous speed advantage for the leg grab takedown. Luckily, it only puts you in guard and if you know they are going to use that momentum advantage you can preemptively block it. If they don't do it immediately they get no speed advantage.

As with most things in life, the defense to clinch "spamming" is to git gud.
Clinch spamming is real, whether you can defend it or not is irrelevant. The point is it's spammed in UFC 2 because it allows extremely unrealistic and easy Knock downs and KOs whether you are actually hurt or not while the clincher in MT clinch is practically invisible to strikes once in that position. I just went through again a few minutes ago with someone just attempting hailmary clinches over and over all to either break out of it and rock him or taking him down. It doesn't take away from the fact that a large portion of players attempt the clinch b/c the striking from MT clinch is unbalanced.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #55
Banned

lmao You're ignoring logic to save your ego. Viable defense to the clinch is irrelevant when we're discussing the mechanics? Do you people even listen to yourselves? Hahaha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #56
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
lmao You're ignoring logic to save your ego. Viable defense to the clinch is irrelevant when we're discussing the mechanics? Do you people even listen to yourselves? Hahaha.
No. We are just having fun chatting it up, the same way it's always been home slice. You still play UFC 2 online, and are you familiar with changes to online play with the patches there has been?

People that see no issue with clinch are most likely playing people they are better than, if relatively even skill level the clinch just becomes huge stall fest that never gets separated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »