Home

Body shots are extremely difficult to counter

This is a discussion on Body shots are extremely difficult to counter within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Body shots are extremely difficult to counter

I made a thread yesterday about body shots cancelling uppercuts and this is kind of about the same thing, except I'm making a more extensive post. I don't know enough about the game mechanics to suggest a solution, but I know enough about MMA to identify that this is a problem.

Firstly, body shots are very unrealistic. In real life, they are landed when someone is hugging their hands to their due to being hurt or are expecting the attacker to combo high, in other words, they are trying to defend rather than attack. In this game, people can land body shots regardless of what the other person is doing.

In these GIFs, you can see that Gaethje is hugging his arms to his head as he is expecting Alvarez to go high, as previously in the fight, Alvarez was throwing 3 strike combinations starting with a jab.

You can see in this video that I was CLEARLY expecting the Robbie player to go low and on about 3 occasions I countered him as he went down, but this was still not enough to deter him from doing so. Why is this? You'd think that after being countered multiple times, there'd be something in the game that would discourage the player from using the exact same technique that got him countered in the first place.

My biggest gripe is the cancelling of uppercuts with body punches. You can clearly see in the following video that an attempt to uppercut was made at 0:30, as I was trying to use the uppercut hook combo, but only the lead hook comes out. You'd think that timing an uppercut as the person goes to strike the body should result in a reward.

At 0:40, I counter the body shots TWICE in the space of 4 seconds and my reward for this is minimal. Despite the rock on the second counter, I would like to think that the first would have resulted in a rock, to begin with. I counter him yet again at 0:53. He could have also been going for the body shot at 0:57 when I countered him with the hook, but it's hard to tell.

I assure you the input for the uppercut at 1:06 was put in multiple times while he was attacking the body, but due to the body shots cancelling uppercuts, I think the uppercut only came out the 3rd time I put the input in. Same thing occurs at 1:26 I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kikier1QxIA

So there's your problem. Can you guys think of solutions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Body shots are extremely difficult to counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshly Baked Gregg
I made a thread yesterday about body shots cancelling uppercuts and this is kind of about the same thing, except I'm making a more extensive post. I don't know enough about the game mechanics to suggest a solution, but I know enough about MMA to identify that this is a problem.

Firstly, body shots are very unrealistic. In real life, they are landed when someone is hugging their hands to their due to being hurt or are expecting the attacker to combo high, in other words, they are trying to defend rather than attack. In this game, people can land body shots regardless of what the other person is doing.

In these GIFs, you can see that Gaethje is hugging his arms to his head as he is expecting Alvarez to go high, as previously in the fight, Alvarez was throwing 3 strike combinations starting with a jab.

You can see in this video that I was CLEARLY expecting the Robbie player to go low and on about 3 occasions I countered him as he went down, but this was still not enough to deter him from doing so. Why is this? You'd think that after being countered multiple times, there'd be something in the game that would discourage the player from using the exact same technique that got him countered in the first place.

My biggest gripe is the cancelling of uppercuts with body punches. You can clearly see in the following video that an attempt to uppercut was made at 0:30, as I was trying to use the uppercut hook combo, but only the lead hook comes out. You'd think that timing an uppercut as the person goes to strike the body should result in a reward.

At 0:40, I counter the body shots TWICE in the space of 4 seconds and my reward for this is minimal. Despite the rock on the second counter, I would like to think that the first would have resulted in a rock, to begin with. I counter him yet again at 0:53. He could have also been going for the body shot at 0:57 when I countered him with the hook, but it's hard to tell.

I assure you the input for the uppercut at 1:06 was put in multiple times while he was attacking the body, but due to the body shots cancelling uppercuts, I think the uppercut only came out the 3rd time I put the input in. Same thing occurs at 1:26 I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kikier1QxIA

So there's your problem. Can you guys think of solutions?
Right now the only good way to catch someone attacking the body is predicting when they will throw right before they do it. That is a problem because if you predict wrong you will throw the uppercut on the guard and be vulnerable for two body hooks. Also, right now you can basically get two free body punches in at any point as long as it isn't the only thing you're doing.

My solution is eliminating the 1b-2b hard combo completely. Find me a fight where that was landed and I'll shut up. The second part is making it so you can uppercut after the first body hook. That way, a person has to have good timing to land the punches or they can stick to throwing one body punch or hide their body punches within a combo. A 3-4 punch body hook combo should be reserved for when someone is rocked and shelling up their head.

Look at the Terrion Ware fight that took place tonight. He was throwing single lead body hooks and resetting. Where as Duquenoy would land the body hook as part of a combo. That's what we should be seeing in game. Not arcadey 1-2s to the body and naked 3 hook combos.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
Pro

Bumping. I am starting to face more and more players abusing body shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
MVP

Trillz's Arena

body shots are fine, its been nerfed so much already. Also it keeps people off pressing high block for the whole fight.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillz
body shots are fine, its been nerfed so much already. Also it keeps people off pressing high block for the whole fight.

So how do you counter them?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Quote:

block low, uppercut, move in then move back, backdash.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:

Body shots have severely limited range. Stay back and stop fighting like Tyson. Do you even throw feints?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillz
block low, uppercut, move in then move back, backdash.

Block low = they’ll blitz you in the head
Uppercut = see above
Move = lead body hook covers enormous amount of range

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »