Home

Cheesy idiots in ranked (video)

This is a discussion on Cheesy idiots in ranked (video) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Cheesy idiots in ranked (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
This simply isn't true. Are you gonna call Battlefield a simulator next?

Here is a definition for cheese from 1992. Literally nothing to do with realism

Here's the background for my definition of cheese

But hey you are entitled to your opinion.
Not true? I guess you missed all their blog posts that repeated buzz words like "authentic", "realistic", etc. They most certainly tried to position this title as a sports sim. But, yes, they failed. I never said they succeeded.

Here's how the sports gaming community uses the term cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherman24
Cheese is when things should not work or be used in real life...
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
I stopped playing this game online years ago, because it IS a cheese fest.

The game is supposed to be a simulation of basketball, or as close of a representation of real basketball that you can get - if I'm playing against someone online who's running in circles, zig zagging, or constantly holding turbo and sizing up repeatedly or jacking up 40 3's a game, then how on EARTH is that a representation of proper basketball? What's the point in playing? The immersion is gone. The 'I just want to WIN by any means possible' attitude is what ruins the experience for gamers who actually want to play the game the way it was indented.

Everyone has the right to play how they wish, sure, but why buy a simulation basketball game only to play it the same way you would NBA Jam? That's like those tools who purchased WWE 2k, only to spend the ENTIRE match punching and kicking to get a cheap win instead of....oh, you know......WRESTLING????!!

Unless you play with trusted people who appreciate the beauty of the sport and play properly, this game is a sham online, always has been.
Cheese in the sports community has always referred to something that's unrealistic. Whether that's chucking 3s all game, going for it on 4th all game, or abusing exploits. Anything that wouldn't happen in real life, is seen as cheese.

MMA is a sport, so EA is replicating a sport. This isn't Street Fighter or Tekken.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #18
MVP

@Lakers

People were talking about "cheese" regarding Street Fighter, what kind of realism could you possibly expect to see in that game? I clicked the link and about the "authenticity" part it says that means having nothing to do with how the game is intended to be played (or something to that effect). Something gamebreaking, basically.

Edit: sorry for editing after tomi liked this, but I also have to say that definitions and meanings do not always stand still, they can widen or narrow so "cheese" could now include more than what the 1992 definition says it included back then.

Last edited by Kingslayer04; 11-30-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #19
Pro

Weren't you supposed to show "how it started and how it was used about 15 or so years ago"? You're blatantly wrong about the origins of the term and your sports community is misusing the term.

Quote:
Not true? I guess you missed all their blog posts that repeated buzz words like "authentic", "realistic", etc. They most certainly tried to position this title as a sports sim. But, yes, they failed. I never said they succeeded.
What a low standard.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24 7

Here's how the sports gaming community uses the term cheese.

Cheese in the sports community has always referred to something that's unrealistic. Whether that's chucking 3s all game, going for it on 4th all game, or abusing exploits. Anything that wouldn't happen in real life, is seen as cheese.

MMA is a sport, so EA is replicating a sport. This isn't Street Fighter or Tekken.
So by your logic, standing still and letting someone KO you is cheese because that's unrealistic. I know that this guy is lost in his own sauce, but this post should be enough to let anyone in the audience know what's up.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
@Lakers

People were talking about "cheese" regarding Street Fighter, what kind of realism could you possibly expect to see in that game? I clicked the link and about the "authenticity" part it says that means having nothing to do with how the game is intended to be played (or something to that effect). Something gamebreaking, basically.

Edit: sorry for editing after tomi liked this, but I also have to say that definitions and meanings do not always stand still, they can widen or narrow so "cheese" could now include more than what the 1992 definition says it included back then.
It's possible for words, especially slang, to carry multiple definitions. We all know this. How the fighting game community used the term is different from how the sports gaming community used it. I don't know why that's hard to accept.

Having been in online leagues since the Madden Mania days, before it was bought by OS, that's how we used it. Going for it on fourth down in unrealistic situations was cheese. Only playing the d-line was cheese, regardless if you used exploits on the line or not. Not varying your plays was cheese, the list goes on and on. Exploits were seen as cheese as well. That's how we used the term. If you disagree with how we used it, that's fine, but the fact remains that's how we used it.

Last edited by Lakers 24 7; 11-30-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
So by your logic, standing still and letting someone KO you is cheese because that's unrealistic. I know that this guy is lost in his own sauce, but this post should be enough to let anyone in the audience know what's up.
I guess a realistic application of that would be someone trying to derank, which yes it would be cheese and there's nothing wrong with labeling it as such.

You have to keep in mind with sim heads, it's not about winning the game. It's about a realistic and immersive experience. Which yes, can also be ruined by people doing stupid **** to lose on purpose. Which is equally as frustrating (and cheese) as people doing unrealistic **** to win.

Last edited by Lakers 24 7; 11-30-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #23
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Weren't you supposed to show "how it started and how it was used about 15 or so years ago"? You're blatantly wrong about the origins of the term and your sports community is misusing the term.

What a low standard.
It's not a standard, it's a matter of expectations. If you tell me the game is sim, then I'm going to judge it accordingly.

If MaddenMania or the old xbox forums were still around I could show you exactly what was labeled as cheese in various leagues and general online play. I can't do that, so instead I provided more recent posts from OS which shows I'm using the word correctly.

I will not dispute that the term was applied differently for fighting games. If you want to be particular about the semantics, then you can say it was co-opted. Co-opting a word and making it fit for a different category does not mean it was used incorrectly.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #24
MVP

The fact of the matter is, you presented the word like it originated with your community and that my definition was wrong. Then you adopted the point that I actually made originally, i.e. "you can use it however you want, but it didn't start out that way".

So we came from that starting point, to your moved goal posts of: it originated somewhere other than your community, my definition isn't wrong, and you can simultaneously use the term either way. So don't act like we're the ones who can't accept that when that was literally my first response to you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »