Home

Body kick catch

This is a discussion on Body kick catch within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Body kick catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
So what stops you from spamming it? The fact is stamina means alot more in UFC3 and body kicks are one of the safest ways to drain stamina unless your opponent is good at countering it.

I gave this example before but I still think it applies. I have a striker who isnt great at the ground and you have a decent striker with better grappling skills.

You spam body kicks and I catch one but no longer have the rock option.

Ex. 1) You spam kicks. I catch one. My only options are to release it or take you down. I dont want to take you down because I will lose that battle. If I let you go, you receive no damage and arent discouraged to do the same thing over and over.

Ex. 2) They give you the ability to block. Same as above because there is no penalty. So you just continue to spam and block and never take any damage.

Ex. 3) you keep everything the same but make it so rocks dont occur. Same as above. One strike alone is going to cause enough damage.

My position is decrease the strike window so you have to be quick to land the strike. Thats it. Keep the catch mechanic the same. Keep the ability to rock someone the same. Just make the strike harder to land.
I don't understand the idea that changes to the kick catch mechanic will immediately make body kicks overpowered or spammable. It wouldn't change the ability to lean or duck through them to land a counter combo, it wouldn't make it hard to kill them with range by either staying too close or too far, it wouldn't change the ability to interrupt them with strikes or kick the standing leg with a low kick and it wouldn't take away your ability to just block and counter it like any other strike in the game. I'd actually argue that right now ducking is already the best counter to body kicks because it protects you from high kicks as well, removing that mix up as a threat.

As for that specific example, if you're a striker and your only counter to body kicks is trying to catch them, you need to learn more counters. It isn't hard at all to duck through a body kick, and if they're being predictable with their combinations it's even easier to lean through one.

As for the strike timing window being shorter, I think that would a be a pretty good compromise fix if the devs don't want to give the fighter who had their kick caught any control, it's just that my personal issue with it is the lack of control and that's what I'd prefer to see addressed.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #74
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
I don't understand the idea that changes to the kick catch mechanic will immediately make body kicks overpowered or spammable. It wouldn't change the ability to lean or duck through them to land a counter combo, it wouldn't make it hard to kill them with range by either staying too close or too far, it wouldn't change the ability to interrupt them with strikes or kick the standing leg with a low kick and it wouldn't take away your ability to just block and counter it like any other strike in the game. I'd actually argue that right now ducking is already the best counter to body kicks because it protects you from high kicks as well, removing that mix up as a threat.

As for that specific example, if you're a striker and your only counter to body kicks is trying to catch them, you need to learn more counters. It isn't hard at all to duck through a body kick, and if they're being predictable with their combinations it's even easier to lean through one.

As for the strike timing window being shorter, I think that would a be a pretty good compromise fix if the devs don't want to give the fighter who had their kick caught any control, it's just that my personal issue with it is the lack of control and that's what I'd prefer to see addressed.
I'm not a big fan of suggesting a more difficult and dangerous way to defend when the current way is more realistic for the defender. Ducking or leaning leads you open for all kinds of strikes and increases vulnerability for certain kinds of strikes.

Fighters dont lean or sway to avoid body kicks. They uses distance. They lunge back. They block and sometimes catch strikes. The amount they catch kicks is higher in the game than in real life but so is the amount of body kicks thrown.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #75
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'm not a big fan of suggesting a more difficult and dangerous way to defend when the current way is more realistic for the defender. Ducking or leaning leads you open for all kinds of strikes and increases vulnerability for certain kinds of strikes.

Fighters dont lean or sway to avoid body kicks. They uses distance. They lunge back. They block and sometimes catch strikes. The amount they catch kicks is higher in the game than in real life but so is the amount of body kicks thrown.
I mean, fighters do lean into kicks. Just generally not with such extreme slips, but that's an animation issue rather than a principles one. Like, you lean into kicks when you catch them a lot of the time. It's a pretty simple and quick guard adjustment, like if you want to get a feel for why you would do it, put up a loose boxing guard with your knuckles at your cheekbones then lean over one hip a bit and it will drop your elbow below your ribs and tight to your body, shrinking the target for a clean body kick while also slightly moving your body away from the kick.

As for ducking/leaning leaving you open to things, correct, it does, but so does trying to catch kicks because you aren't blocking your head, I imagine that you're open to a similar number of strikes, if not more, as you are from leaning or ducking, the only thing that's different is vulnerability which in my opinion is an acceptable trade off for removing the timing requirement and allowing you to land a combination rather than 1 strike.

And honestly, I don't think using real life as an argument holds any water if it's not a consistent position. Like, you're fine with an unrealistic mechanic in fighters not being able to move or block with a held leg, but you don't want to encourage the unrealistic mechanic of ducking/leaning into kicks? Which to be clear, I do admit isn't a realistic counter to kicks, it's more of a panic last line of defence type thing to take a little bit off, like rolling with punches is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #76
MVP

Trillz's Arena

slightly reduce the window to catch kicks however keep it the same for the jab body kick combo.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #77
Pro

I dont think its a problem at all...dont be so predictable and it wont happen

Sent from my LGLS991 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #78
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeric
I dont think its a problem at all...dont be so predictable and it wont happen
It does get annoying when you're trying to throw a head kick and the game decides that it wants you to throw a body kick that gets caught and gets your rocked.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #79
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakrok
It does get annoying when you're trying to throw a head kick and the game decides that it wants you to throw a body kick that gets caught and gets your rocked.
Ill agree with that.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #80
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakrok
Its doing that because you are throwing headkicks from too close.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »