Home

PES 2019 Demo Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on PES 2019 Demo Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #89
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PES 2019 Demo Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthLdN

- GKs are still not realistic - they don't dive realistically and they still never ever come off there line.

- There are still issues with spacing between the lines (e.g. between midfield and defence, midfield and attack) being too big, although I feel maybe this has improved slightly from 18. I must say for all the struggles that go into getting the lines in FIFA to compress and contract correctly each year using sliders, at least it's actually possible to do that in FIFA. Sometimes the positions taken up by players in PES is nearly laughable, the pitch sometimes feels far too big. This for me is the number one reason I've found PES hard to get on with in the past.

But even with that last point, I gotta say it is still a lot of fun!
I fully agree with your last point it is better this year but not by much. I would really like to see Defenders not afraid to cross the half line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
PES 19 beta online is great.. played 10 matches or so online this weekend 1 v 1

offline can't really comment because not enough time really to fully test and only played a few offline

but online PES 19 beta reminds of exactly last year when I thought the PES 18 online beta was so awesome and addicting. They should not touch the pES 19 online beta and change it. last year the actual game changed from the PES 18 beta. I'm hoping that doesn't change this year. I would say at this point it plays online like the best footie sim ever. the pace and flow of the match in 1 v 1 online is absolutely perfect. there is also errant passes at times now on PA1 and the best part about the online play in PES is there is a counter for everything. if your opponent is abusing you in a certain way all game and you know exactly what he is trying to do already.. then there is a way to counter it. at least that is what I am experiencing and what makes this game so great online. I also have a great time when I lose matches online still playing it.. very enjoyable experience so far.
I really wish I could play more online matches but I can never find anyone available.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #90
Pro

stevostl's Arena

OVR: 0

I have my matchmaking on level 4 and it does take a while to find someone when compared to fifa that's for sure but it does find someone usually for me everytime. if i put it on level 5 it doesn't find anyone though.. if I put it on level 3 it finds someone quicker... so i would say you might have to drop your level if you haven't already. I also do say match my pass assist which I'm at level 1... but if you switch that to no restrictions you might find people quicker as well. good luck
Old 08-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #91

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
I fully agree with your last point it is better this year but not by much. I would really like to see Defenders not afraid to cross the half line.
It is better, but it's still a disconnect between the back line and midfield. You can turn off deep defensive line, and set defensive line to as high as possible, and the back 4 still play as if the offside rule does not exist. At this point I'm pretty sure it's a design choice to make sure there are more shots and goals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #92
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
It is better, but it's still a disconnect between the back line and midfield. You can turn off deep defensive line, and set defensive line to as high as possible, and the back 4 still play as if the offside rule does not exist. At this point I'm pretty sure it's a design choice to make sure there are more shots and goals.
It's a real bummer too because the game plays really nicely otherwise. I'm having a lot of fun minus this one aspect.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #93
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
It's a shame because you can't even duplicate how Man City, Real Madrid or even how Barca play which the latter is ironic.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #94
Rookie

OVR: 1

This is my third post on the demo.

I was on the fence after about 30 games vs. the CPU (different teams, skill level, tactics, etc.). I really wanted to like it, but I loaded FIFA 18 after 10 straight PES 19 demo games and immediately remembered why I couldn't gel with PES last year.

One word - AI. In Fifa it just works. It may not be perfect, but it feels more like football. In PES it's shambolic, with some very questionable decisions by the CPU and some moronic runs (and non runs) by your AI teammates.

Examples:
In FIFA you have players dropping back to receive the ball, players making intelligent runs (even without triggering the run button), they take intelligent spots on the pitch. As long as you track back with your midfielder and strikers (as opposed to defenders), the game actually plays well on defense. Teams shapes are also realistic.

With PES it's just frustrating. The breaks lack oomph. Players running at the same speed, team mates not making intuitive runs. As for the CPU, it always goes back to a midfielder who will one time chip it to a winger. Always. Even when the CPU is one v. one with the keeper it passes back. Come on.

I can't help but feel you can always score in PES - if you use the give and go. It basically works every time. As for the CPU, those pinpoint chip passes to the winger ruin the game, not because they are always successful (which they are) but because of the repetitiveness of it all. Players take forever to recover form a tackle. The feints are so clunky and take forever to execute. Team shapes on the pitch leave huge gaps between midfield
and defense. The pitch basically looks too big for the action. I can go on...

PES also feels "locked" for the lack of a better word. When you win the ball it's not because you have intercepted or closed the passing intelligently, it is because the AI has "decided" to make a mistake. When you chase a ball, you can't change direction, you are basically locked in that trajectory until either your player or the CPU reaches the ball. It looks so 1990s, it lacks freedom and fluidity.

Yes, PES looks beautiful, the player faces, frames and sizes are meticulously portrayed, it has a sense of theater (headers are amazing) and the shooting feels so real and gratifying (even when you miss), but ultimately it is a frustrating experience for me. Even when I win I feel underwhelmed and don't feel like playing another match afterwards, whereas FIFA makes me want to come back for more.

Sadly, I'll give it a miss this year unless something dramatically changes in the final version.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #95
MVP

lareka's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaxy
This is my third post on the demo.

I was on the fence after about 30 games vs. the CPU (different teams, skill level, tactics, etc.). I really wanted to like it, but I loaded FIFA 18 after 10 straight PES 19 demo games and immediately remembered why I couldn't gel with PES last year.

One word - AI. In Fifa it just works. It may not be perfect, but it feels more like football. In PES it's shambolic, with some very questionable decisions by the CPU and some moronic runs (and non runs) by your AI teammates.

Examples:
In FIFA you have players dropping back to receive the ball, players making intelligent runs (even without triggering the run button), they take intelligent spots on the pitch. As long as you track back with your midfielder and strikers (as opposed to defenders), the game actually plays well on defense. Teams shapes are also realistic.

With PES it's just frustrating. The breaks lack oomph. Players running at the same speed, team mates not making intuitive runs. As for the CPU, it always goes back to a midfielder who will one time chip it to a winger. Always. Even when the CPU is one v. one with the keeper it passes back. Come on.

I can't help but feel you can always score in PES - if you use the give and go. It basically works every time. As for the CPU, those pinpoint chip passes to the winger ruin the game, not because they are always successful (which they are) but because of the repetitiveness of it all. Players take forever to recover form a tackle. The feints are so clunky and take forever to execute. Team shapes on the pitch leave huge gaps between midfield
and defense. The pitch basically looks too big for the action. I can go on...

PES also feels "locked" for the lack of a better word. When you win the ball it's not because you have intercepted or closed the passing intelligently, it is because the AI has "decided" to make a mistake. When you chase a ball, you can't change direction, you are basically locked in that trajectory until either your player or the CPU reaches the ball. It looks so 1990s, it lacks freedom and fluidity.

Yes, PES looks beautiful, the player faces, frames and sizes are meticulously portrayed, it has a sense of theater (headers are amazing) and the shooting feels so real and gratifying (even when you miss), but ultimately it is a frustrating experience for me. Even when I win I feel underwhelmed and don't feel like playing another match afterwards, whereas FIFA makes me want to come back for more.

Sadly, I'll give it a miss this year unless something dramatically changes in the final version.
"I was on the fence after about 30 games vs. the CPU (different teams, skill level, tactics, etc.). I really wanted to like it, but I loaded FIFA 18 after 10 straight PES 19 demo games and immediately remembered why I couldn't gel with PES last year. "

If you are judging PES by the demo you are doing a very wrong thing. VERY WRONG. They update the game with patches after release and after 1-1,5 month after release the game gets it's best shape. You should now find PES 18 and update it and play it and see the difference from the demo.

"Even when the CPU is one v. one with the keeper it passes back. Come on. " This is a completely DEMO issue. After 1 month after release you won't see it in PES 2019. Next ?

Did you play the game in 1 difficulty setting ? The way CPU plays changes very much when you switch to "top player" from "superstar" for ex.

Your impression on demo are not a very accurate way to foresee what to expect from the game. The gameplay changes completely after 1,5 months with updates...

Last edited by lareka; 08-14-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #96
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lareka
"I was on the fence after about 30 games vs. the CPU (different teams, skill level, tactics, etc.). I really wanted to like it, but I loaded FIFA 18 after 10 straight PES 19 demo games and immediately remembered why I couldn't gel with PES last year. "

If you are judging PES by the demo you are doing a very wrong thing. VERY WRONG. They update the game with patches after release and after 1-1,5 month after release the game gets it's best shape. You should now find PES 18 and update it and play it and see the difference from the demo.

"Even when the CPU is one v. one with the keeper it passes back. Come on. " This is a completely DEMO issue. After 1 month after release you won't see it in PES 2019. Next ?

Did you play the game in 1 difficulty setting ? The way CPU plays changes very much when you switch to "top player" from "superstar" for ex.

Your impression on demo are not a very accurate way to foresee what to expect from the game. The gameplay changes completely after 1,5 months with updates...
If you read my post, you will see I mentioned I tried different teams and different levels. For the last 10 games I stayed on Top Player however. I also tried different support settings for passes and settled on 1 (which I feel it is too assisted but manual is just broken - as explained in my previous posts).

You have a point about comparing Demo and final game and that's why I said, I will give it a miss UNLESS something changes dramatically. But I am a realist.

I will respectfully disagree with your opinion that patching will significantly improve the game though.

I played 2018 until a month ago. PES 19 is basically the same engine, it is plagues by the same issues. The notorious lack of runs has been known since forever. The huge spaces in midfield - ditto. The reliance on give and go passing, the clunky dribbling - all this is not new. The recovery latency after a tackle. Stuff which is recycled year after year. This is ingrained in the engine - it can't change with a patch. Yes, maybe they will tone down the CPU chips passes to the wingers, but the game is marred with poor AI sadly. I would love to be proven wrong. I would love to see a PES with good AI, trust me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »