Home

eFootball 2022 Available Today, Free to Play - Community Impressions Here

This is a discussion on eFootball 2022 Available Today, Free to Play - Community Impressions Here within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #1
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
eFootball 2022 Available Today, Free to Play - Community Impressions Here

So this demo has finally dropped (playing on Steam) and yeah played about 3 matches and I can see why they showed no gameplay footage of this before the drop, it's glitchy (players warping), collisions look comical/janky, defending and tackling feels too easy and arcadey and its pretty poor in some areas graphically (the turf and crowd is just yikes). But I can see some slither of hope though ...maybe lol. The pace seems pretty good and dribbling feels very fluid for the most part also the little details like players getting the ball from ball boys and the continuation of play is nice and of course I still feel like the ball physics still 1-up Fifa even though EA keeps slowly closing that gap every year.

Overall, I think I have seen enough in my small sample size and will delete the game honestly as I have no intentions of trying this against a Human opponent until this games technical issues get ironed out. I will say this though this has to be the worst effort ever from Konami like seriously the PES 2018 online beta was more technically ready than this, just really sad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2021, 12:06 AM   #2
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: eFootball 2022 Impressions (Out Now)

TL;DR - It's free, it's janky. It has potential as I definitely think there is something there to work with.

I played for about an hour and a half. Maybe my expectations had bottomed out so bad that this is about what I expected so I'm not gutted like a lot of people. I'm probably the only one that didn't completely hate it. My PES roots don't run as deep as a lot of people either. I wasn't there for the glory days when PES was the dominate name in the video game football world.
  • Initially the controls felt a bit off. After I approached it a bit more realistically it felt a bit better. Slow down, take the extra touch, make sure your face the right direction. Also sprinting is a skill now. You can actually "over"commit/sprint, which the recover from looks comically bad right now.
  • Does it look next gen... not at all and def looks nothing like that Messi teaser. Largely still looks like PES 21 in most respects. The lighting is a bit off especially during day games.
  • Collision detection was okay but the refs were non existent. Either they totally botched it or they nerfed them for this "demo" since you can only play 5 minutes.
  • The computer missed some absolute sitters. I never changed it off regular difficulty though so maybe that was it.
  • Tried an online game and the guy quit on me even though the score was 0-0. He seemed like he didn't switch to alternate controls though he was playing pretty poorly or maybe he just hated the game.
  • That new camera that's going to be an hard pass from me right now. It zooms in and out way to slowly. Initially it was cool to get up in the action but it's just not responsive enough.
  • Can't wait till that blue and yellow color scheme gets the boot. No way they keep that permanently.
  • This is 100% a demo, guess the called it the release to try and keep up with FIFA dropping officially.
  • There's really no sign that this has been in the works for 2 years. I think they underestimated how much work it would be moving to Unreal but that is also something that gives me hope. UR is probably a lot easier to tweak and refine than Fox and they are no longer tied to a yearly cycle.
  • This still feels more like football than what EA has just put out. It's janky but it's janky football at least.
  • It's free so that a positive.
  • If you play online there are 150 teams to choose from some licensed some not. You can still enjoy your Manchester Blue team lol.
  • The menus are slightly better but still weirdly setup.
  • I like the soundtrack. Their taste in music is all over the place like mine.
  • Like Royce I agree the tackling is a bit weird.
  • Luckily I didn't experience any of the weird animations like others
I'm def sticking with PES 21 on the PC for now as FIFA is a no go as well unless there's a deep discount. Overall I think there is some potential and given what Konami has done these past 3 or so months it's no telling what the update will bring. I can't even give it a grade right now I'd just mark it as in in progress/incomplete. I'll keep it installed a play games every now and then.

Last edited by jrnlgrn; 09-30-2021 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:44 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'll start with three words - grass, grass, grass

Visually this is a car crash. We are in 2021 and you are playing on a PS5, yet everything looks so dated and under cooked. The lighting is off, HDR is non-existent, the crowd is dire, the menu structure, colours and interaction makes you wonder what a Konami boardroom looks like when they take decisions.

The Konami welcoming screen greets you with the phrase: "Our ambition was to create the perfect football environment, from the grass on the pitch, to the players' movements, all the way to the crowds in the stadium".

If this is not a joke, I'd love to know what they were smoking?!?

The argument that you can overlook visual issues if the gameplay is good doesn't hold any water. Even if it gameplay was better than the competition (and sadly this year it is not), it is inexcusable that after 2 years, they come out with this.

I am also astonished by people who say that it is free, so we should take it for what it is and have no expectations. I don't want for this to be free, damn it! The cost of a game is equivalent to that of a mediocre meal - surely people can spend the money for a good game, especially if they will play it the entire year. Just put the resources in (and here I mean - employ people like the modders who add the special effects, camera angles, weather, etc.).

With the pandemic, the video game industry has grown multi fold.

OK, so once you put the visual mess aside (the grass continues to make me cringe though), you can see what they've tried to do with the gameplay. Yes, it is a step forward from 2021 (but that was not hard), but it is a baby step. It is slower (much slower), but whilst they were looking for realism, it does not actually achieve it through the game speed. Player models look decent in cut scenes and daylight, but not very inspiring in night matches.

I am guessing that Konami have an association with Nintendo because the sound that the ball makes when it's struck is straight out of Super Mario. Laughable.

Sorry, but you really dropped the ball on this Konami (pun intended).

Last edited by iaxy; 09-30-2021 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #4
Rookie

I could barely make it through the first game. It's far closer to the performance test build than I imagined. That colour scheme is super garish and your players are basically levitating on the pitch. Honestly I'd rather they moved the release date back, because this is just a waste of precious PS5 storage space.

A rollout this bad in a year when Fifa is playable again is absurd, I've already deleted the game.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
Immense Dimension

electrickeeper's Arena

OVR: 12

All of this after taking a year off to focus on this product?

I'd hate to see what it would've looked like if they didn't take the extra year.

Probably harsh on ISS tho, sorry.

I wanted to give it a shot since I always end up heading to PES around the holidays due to FIFA fatigue, but I think they well and truly killed it off. Such a shame.

- Playstation Football Association Career(online manager mode)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
Rookie

Is it just me or is there only one mode and only a few teams available right now?
Old 09-30-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenFatGuy
Is it just me or is there only one mode and only a few teams available right now?
If you play the "match event" there's more teams available
Old 09-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I feel bad for guys like Spoony & Barry (Pes Uni) who had positive reviews of the build they played which they said was obviously a later build than what was released.

Way to burn those bridges Konami SMH

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »