Home

Official Hip Hop/Rap Music Thread

This is a discussion on Official Hip Hop/Rap Music Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #4041
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Official Hip Hop/Rap Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
I hate this whole "back in the day...." argument.

Anyways, your first sentence you make a total blanket statement that just isn't as true as you make it sound. Sure it is true for some people, but you can't just generalize like that. I still listen to plenty of albums that were released months and years ago.

About the posts here, I can't speak for everyone else, but the "listen to an album twice, give opinion, then on to the next one" thing only happens if I really don't like the album (T.I.'s as an example and even that I listened to more than twice trying to give it a second chance). I don't post exactly what I'm listening to every day because no one gives a **** and I wouldn't either.

Of course people aren't going to "listen like they used to" when music is everywhere nowadays. You're literally a click away from finding something you like whereas about 15-20 years ago and further you were stuck with what you had and that was MTV, BET, that one Eminem CD or that Snoop cassette, etc. You didn't have much of a choice or control over what you could/couldn't listen to. Now you do and I don't see how that is a bad thing.

Now yeah sure, there is plenty of terrible artists out there now. That's obviously going to happen when someone who has no business rhyming can spit out a couple bars and upload it to Youtube. But lets not act like there was never terrible artists in the 80's and 90's. And the thing is, you don't HAVE to listen to that person that posts ****ty music on Youtube or whatever. You can easily sit back and bitch and moan about how much bad music there is, but no one other than yourself is forcing you to listen to it. You don't have to click on that Youtube video or MP3, you don't have to watch what video 106 & Park is playing, you don't have to listen to the garbage on the radio.

I don't even understand why you're bringing up this MTV award like it's some holy grail. You're basically acting like Kanye himself taking awards like that seriously. I won't bother getting into an argument about whether or not Kanye can rap either because it's clear you don't like him and you're entitled to have that opinion. Nothing I or anyone else says is going to change that opinion.

Your next point about blogs and the Internet being the death of hip-hop....sorry, but I just don't see it. When you bring up the fact that CD's aren't selling, that's the entire music industry that struggles with that, not just hip-hop. Besides, last I checked Eminem was selling a million copies of Recovery in it's first or second week out, Kanye just sold 500k his first week and even Nicki Minaj sold 400k or something like that.

I'm not sure how that stacks up with first week album sales from 10-15 years ago, but it doesn't look terrible to me for something that is supposedly close to dying.
Yes yes and yes.

I hear you NC State, but a lot of what you said just comes off the wrong way to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #4042
MVP

pennstlbu's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Damn, DJ Whoo Kid is still around?
He's doing a mixtape for XXL and Tech N9ne that'll be out on X-Mas. I'm definitely looking forward to it. Here's "Ego Trippin" from it:

NSFW

Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #4043
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Party in the Robinson house!

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #4044
MVP

OVR: 17

yea I kinda had a few random tangents goin off in the post.

The kanye MTV award thing...just goes back to my previous post about all the hip hop media being Yes Men. This just really bothers me, the people doing the interviews and the reviews want to be buddies with these guys more than they want to write a decent story or tell the truth about the quality of a big name artists new song or album.

About the internet killing hip hop...and why maybe it won't kill other pop music...it's just a combination of CDs not selling, hip hop music being given out for free more than ever, more artists putting out music than ever (I may be wrong but I don't think blogs have led to there being thousands of new country music singers getting their music out and becoming popular....its just so easy in hip hop), those artists feeling like they have to put out more music than ever, which leads us to a random guy named Charles Hamilton putting out 20 mixtapes in a 13 month span....leading people to listening to his 14th mediocre mixtape which means they AREN'T listening to a different artist at that moment.

At some point...the whole "cant sell cds/have to put out free music/which is immediately lost in the shuffle by a certain % of people when 1000 other mixtapes are released within 2 days" is a BAD thing for quality artists.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #4045
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State-31 UNC-27
yea I kinda had a few random tangents goin off in the post.

The kanye MTV award thing...just goes back to my previous post about all the hip hop media being Yes Men. This just really bothers me, the people doing the interviews and the reviews want to be buddies with these guys more than they want to write a decent story or tell the truth about the quality of a big name artists new song or album.

About the internet killing hip hop...and why maybe it won't kill other pop music...it's just a combination of CDs not selling, hip hop music being given out for free more than ever, more artists putting out music than ever (I may be wrong but I don't think blogs have led to there being thousands of new country music singers getting their music out and becoming popular....its just so easy in hip hop), those artists feeling like they have to put out more music than ever, which leads us to a random guy named Charles Hamilton putting out 20 mixtapes in a 13 month span....leading people to listening to his 14th mediocre mixtape which means they AREN'T listening to a different artist at that moment.

At some point...the whole "cant sell cds/have to put out free music/which is immediately lost in the shuffle by a certain % of people when 1000 other mixtapes are released within 2 days" is a BAD thing for quality artists.
I know what you mean and I understand what you're trying to say, but I just don't see why you're hung up over an MTV award. Unless it's the Grammy's or something actually legit, there's no point getting up in arms over it. It's usually popularity contests anyways.

I can't speak for country music specifically because I don't listen to it, but I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift was found through putting her music out on the internet, as well as plenty of other artists in other genres. Yeah, it does seem like more people are found this way in hip-hop, but I can't say for sure that it isn't the same way with other music.

And like I said before, you don't have to listen to these dudes like Charles Hamilton. He's never even blown up to the point of TV exposure either so really the only time you're hearing his music is when you choose to listen to it.

About your last point, the quality guys are still going to stand out as long as they're good enough to stand out. If you add 1000 ****ty players to the NBA, the Kobe's and LeBron's are still going to stand out. For every Gucci Mane or Soulja Boy there's a J. Cole or Blu.

Also, while it hasn't exactly saved the fact that most people download their music for free now, iTunes does do a decent job of getting people to pay for their music. A lot of people do use it.

Last edited by BlueNGold; 12-17-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 AM   #4046
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I can't believe Nicki Minaj hasn't leaked yet considering she drops on Black Friday.

It finally hit me tonight what she reminds me of: a gefling! y'all remember that movie the Dark Crystal?

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 12-18-2010, 05:40 AM   #4047
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

You a fool, trob.

My Video Game Streams
Old 12-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #4048
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Id smash it for a solid month straight without getting bored. I didnt know the chick even had a face.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »