Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #3993
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Pink Flamingos

I don't even...
It was either hilarious,bad or hilariously bad...possibly all of the above at once.
Well I'm sure Matt Stone and Trey Parker have seen this.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #3994
All Star

Jonesy's Arena

OVR: 27

Never back down 2.

Some occasional cringe worthy moments but some decent fight scenes, a fair few UFC fighter cameo's and some hot women made it watchable for me. I'd never willingly watch it again or buy it but it was a decent way to pass an hour and half. 6.5/10 from me.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #3995
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Dog Day Afternoon

Yet another classic film I had never seen. Great film that takes place primarily in one location.

The first ten minutes I was wondering how in the world they managed to make this work for 2 hours. Then Al Pacino's character just gets hit with one thing after the other. It's pretty funny early on what he goes through.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #3996
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Dog Day Afternoon

Yet another classic film I had never seen. Great film that takes place primarily in one location.

The first ten minutes I was wondering how in the world they managed to make this work for 2 hours. Then Al Pacino's character just gets hit with one thing after the other. It's pretty funny early on what he goes through.
I watched that for the first time about 4 or 5 months ago. I was pretty surprised at how great of a film it is despite how little I have heard about it, especially considering it is probably Pacino's second greatest role.

I thought it was fascinating how well this movie transformed from a comedic bank robbery into something that ended up very seriously. It was nicely paced and the transition was so gradual you don't even notice.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #3997
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I watched that for the first time about 4 or 5 months ago. I was pretty surprised at how great of a film it is despite how little I have heard about it, especially considering it is probably Pacino's second greatest role.

I thought it was fascinating how well this movie transformed from a comedic bank robbery into something that ended up very seriously. It was nicely paced and the transition was so gradual you don't even notice.
Yeah, I found myself laughing quite a bit early on and immediately thought the film was a mockery of a bank heist. I didn't notice it, but at some point I realized I wasn't laughing anymore and the film was mostly serious. Really enjoyed it.

First time I really heard about it was in film school and many kept telling me how great it was. Glad I finally watched it.

By the way, which do you consider to be his greatest role? I'm assuming as Michael Corleone in Godfather.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #3998
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Not my fault!

1. I don't use Netflix.
2. Even if I did it'd be Netflix Canada.
3. I went to the local store to rent it.
4. They only had it on DVD.

So I finally got to rent Super from Netflix - no thanks to everyone else renting it!

Entertaining film for me. Not really funny or dramatic, but kind of felt like a coming-of-age story for an adult.

Ellen Page is great in this as the sidekick and is probably the only female I can look at and not care that she has absolutely no curves.

The ending really sold me on bumping this from a 3 to a 4/5. I expected they'd go with the predictable, but instead did a few different things.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #3999
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Yeah, I found myself laughing quite a bit early on and immediately thought the film was a mockery of a bank heist. I didn't notice it, but at some point I realized I wasn't laughing anymore and the film was mostly serious. Really enjoyed it.

First time I really heard about it was in film school and many kept telling me how great it was. Glad I finally watched it.

By the way, which do you consider to be his greatest role? I'm assuming as Michael Corleone in Godfather.
Michael Corleone, for sure.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #4000
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
So I finally got to rent Super from Netflix - no thanks to everyone else renting it!

Entertaining film for me. Not really funny or dramatic, but kind of felt like a coming-of-age story for an adult.

Ellen Page is great in this as the sidekick and is probably the only female I can look at and not care that she has absolutely no curves.

The ending really sold me on bumping this from a 3 to a 4/5. I expected they'd go with the predictable, but instead did a few different things.
Curves or no she looked great in that outfit!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »