Home

The Leftovers (HBO)

This is a discussion on The Leftovers (HBO) within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #25
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: The Leftovers (HBO)

From what I've read they've already gone through a decent amount of the book. My guess is they use the book as a launching pad and then put their own twist on it. Whether that means actually answering the mystery or not, I have no idea.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

I hate to get into a Lost argument again, but when did they promise to answer ever single detail of the mysteries of the Island? The whole point of the show, like The Leftovers, is about the people, not the event.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

The event is the hook. And Lost added mystery on top of mystery on top of mystery. Of course people expect them to be explained. Lost went crazy with the mysteries. This show doesnt seem like its gonna go that insane with it.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #28
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
The Leftovers (HBO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
From what I've read they've already gone through a decent amount of the book. My guess is they use the book as a launching pad and then put their own twist on it. Whether that means actually answering the mystery or not, I have no idea.

As far as intros go, yeah.

The book didn't do enough diving into people. That's why I look forward to the show because a book can only have so many pages if an author's intent is to just show us people struggling with events from three years prior.

Launching pad is a good term.

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #29
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't like it. I especially don't like how people are acting like 50% of population disappeared instead of acting like 2% of the population disappeared. So why the focus on this particular town? Because it went the "craziest?" Did it lose 25% of its population? For only 2% of the pop to be lost, they sure make it seem like there was more. Especially the way the Sheriff and his department are acting. I mean, really? Did the whole Department of Justice, FBI, Internal Affairs and DA offices disappear too? Otherwise they need to do their jobs or do them better.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #30
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I went into it expecting to love it. Came away thinking it's one of those shows that is impossible to really "like", but it could still end up being captivating at the same time.

We'll see. I feel like this show might just not be for me, but I'll give it another chance.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
I don't like it. I especially don't like how people are acting like 50% of population disappeared instead of acting like 2% of the population disappeared. So why the focus on this particular town? Because it went the "craziest?" Did it lose 25% of its population? For only 2% of the pop to be lost, they sure make it seem like there was more. Especially the way the Sheriff and his department are acting. I mean, really? Did the whole Department of Justice, FBI, Internal Affairs and DA offices disappear too? Otherwise they need to do their jobs or do them better.

So you're saying if 2% of the population in your town suddenly disappeared, and you know it happened across the world as well, you wouldn't be at least a bit unnerved by the event?

Sent from my mobile device.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

I saw the second episode. The only mystery that is compelling to me is why the wife went to the cult. Seems like their family was still in tact so sense isnt really being made there yet. Other than that, Im struggling to care. They are gonna need some pretty legit payoffs down the line to counter the constant sadness and despair this show gives off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »