Home

Amazon Firestick vs Amazon FireTV

This is a discussion on Amazon Firestick vs Amazon FireTV within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Amazon Firestick vs Amazon FireTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I've heard differing opinions on the reliability of Kodi, particularly the sound.

As far as the legal aspect of it, is it crystal clear? Amazon had the app available until last year but dropped it and issued this as a reason, “Kodi can be used to facilitate the piracy or illegal download of content,”.
Its crystal clear. Kodi the app alone isnt considered piracy. There people who use apps within Kodi to stream content they own to a Fire Stick. With that said, its primary use is to watch pay content without paying like PPV sports, cable network sports, movies etc. That is illegal.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Got rid of directv, got Vue and fire stick for my bedroom.

Watch my fav shows either by watching live, or recording it on the dvr.

Got a chromecast to use if i want to watch tv in another room and i can use my phone /tablet/pc or whatever to watch vue or anything else i want.

It's perfect for me because im not a tv junkie, i have shows i like, and some channels but overall I can do without the extra money being shelled out for junk channels mainstream services make you get.

Seriously who watches 300 channels on average?
I dont think thats the point though. I'm a TV junkie but even people who arent watch different shows on a wide variety of networks. For example, here is what I've watched so far this week:

Sherlock (PBS)
Monday Night Raw (USA)
Its Always Sunny (FXX)
The Detour (TBS)
Premier League Soccer (NBCSN)
Various Sports (ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, CSN)

Its not that I need 300 channels but I need a package that has a diverse lineup of channels and something like Vue wont work for that. I get that most people arent like me though.

One other thing is I dont like having my cable connected to my internet. I've had situations where my internet has gone down for days and needed repair. With something like Vue, I wouldnt be able to watch TV until the internet is repaired.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I dont think thats the point though. I'm a TV junkie but even people who arent watch different shows on a wide variety of networks. For example, here is what I've watched so far this week:

Sherlock (PBS)
Monday Night Raw (USA)
Its Always Sunny (FXX)
The Detour (TBS)
Premier League Soccer (NBCSN)
Various Sports (ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, CSN)

Its not that I need 300 channels but I need a package that has a diverse lineup of channels and something like Vue wont work for that. I get that most people arent like me though.

One other thing is I dont like having my cable connected to my internet. I've had situations where my internet has gone down for days and needed repair. With something like Vue, I wouldnt be able to watch TV until the internet is repaired.
This....I'm usually able to get my cable cost down enough when I call and complain nicely. I'd have to upgrade my cable probably, and I worry about data limits. I was very tempted to cut, but right now it's not really that better financially, and the ease of use with cable is so nice.

I'd be interested to hear the differences between the Fire Stick and Fire TV though....tempted to pick one up eventually for some kid shows and stuff that Xbox doesn't have apps for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
This....I'm usually able to get my cable cost down enough when I call and complain nicely. I'd have to upgrade my cable probably, and I worry about data limits. I was very tempted to cut, but right now it's not really that better financially, and the ease of use with cable is so nice.

I'd be interested to hear the differences between the Fire Stick and Fire TV though....tempted to pick one up eventually for some kid shows and stuff that Xbox doesn't have apps for.
I think the main difference is that the stick is a bit laggy/cheaper.
I have 2 firesticks that I run ps vue from on my upstairs tvs. The guide runs slow. If I wanted to spend more $$ I could've bought the fire tv or roku box to run vue, and it would be smoother/faster controls.

We don't use the upstairs tvs much, so I got the cheaper stick.
Downstairs on the ps4- the ps vue is lightning quick.

I also like the stick because it goes into the hdmi in the back of the tv and you dont see it. no wires. it power via usb in the back of the tv

Last edited by Splitter77; 01-06-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
I think the main difference is that the stick is a bit laggy/cheaper.
I have 2 firesticks that I run ps vue from on my upstairs tvs. The guide runs slow. If I wanted to spend more $$ I could've bought the fire tv or roku box to run vue, and it would be smoother/faster controls.

We don't use the upstairs tvs much, so I got the cheaper stick.
Downstairs on the ps4- the ps vue is lightning quick.

I also like the stick because it goes into the hdmi in the back of the tv and you dont see it. no wires. it power via usb in the back of the tv
Thanks! Figured it was like the Roku versions....

We've been pretty good with the Xbox One so far, but can see eventually getting a TV, maybe for Kodi
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Thanks! Figured it was like the Roku versions....

We've been pretty good with the Xbox One so far, but can see eventually getting a TV, maybe for Kodi
the stick is great for kodi.
if im in bed and want to watch sports game in HD. There is 75% chance sportsdevil or pro sport in kodi will have a game in HD.

Also- its great for my kids room. Because if she wants to watch a movie. instead of looking for the DVD or blueray, you can just stream it from kodi
Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #15
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Guys: we cannot discuss anything regarding illegal piracy.

Piracy/ROMs/Warez
Operation Sports has a very strict policy against piracy, ROMs, warez, modding/chipping, and the illegal use of copyrighted material. Linking or giving information about any site that distributes illegal software, ROMs, media, mods/chips, or emulators, seeking help to circumvent any copyright laws, admitting to possessing and/or distributing illegal copyrighted material, or encouraging software or media piracy is grounds for ban depending on the offense. This goes for all copyrighted material, including but not limited to games, movies, music, and videos.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

I've had both. The fireTV is noticeably more snappy than the stick.
The other obvious difference is that the stick doesn't do 4K.

Pretty sure the same is true of the different Roku devices as well.
Premiere handles 4K , the others can't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »