Home

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

This is a discussion on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix) within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #33
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

I liked the show. It has this camp/horror/gore mix that works for me. Similar to Buffy in that regard.

.I like how the end of the season setup for the next season too.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #34
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
I liked the show. It has this camp/horror/gore mix that works for me. Similar to Buffy in that regard.

.I like how the end of the season setup for the next season too.
I had watched the first two episodes, but decided to restart and watch with the wife. We're up to episode four so roughly 1/3 of the way through.

First, I love the cast. The aunts are pitch perfect and Sabrina is somehow a nice "normal" lead character to be drawn to. Ambrose is wonderful - I need more of him. There's a little feel of a bit character for some so far, which is understandable because the pace is relatively slow, but each part is played really well by their respective actor.

I am loving the mythos of the world, too. The satirical, tongue-in-cheek reflection of religion is an easy homerun in multiple ways and I'm enjoying the fact that Sabrina is pushing against it. Free will is a big theme in the narrative (and supposedly the church), but few, if any, of them seem to actually exhibit free will apart from Sabrina and Satan.

I'm surprised to see the hype from pre-release die down relatively quickly. Perhaps it was a clash of reality and expectations, but it seems like most are lukewarm for some reason.

I'm excited to finish the rest of the season and I might check out Riverdale just to keep in the universe.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #35

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

We finished up the remaining episodes this weekend.

The story picks up pace quite a bit in the final episode after a couple episodes move away from centering on Sabrina for their narratives. To me it hurt the pacing of the overall arc a little bit, but I guess if most viewers are binge watching it those episodes would provide some nice breaks.

I'm very much looking forwarding to another season not only to continue with Sabrina's arc (turn?), but hopefully to pick up again some of the threads they left dangling (witch hunter attacks?).

To me the cast and creative direction are the obvious gems to the show. Sabrina and her family are all absolutely pitch perfect and I loved every scene with her Aunts (particularly Hilda). I thought Harvey was a little uneven at times, but I feel like that would be nit picky.

Overall the sensationalism surrounding the show is laughable and largely unfounded. I'm surprised by the lukewarm reception and lack of attention post-release, but considering the the amazing Haunting of Hill House came out of absolutely nowhere and stole the spotlight I shouldn't be worried. Especially since season two is already confirmed.

I'm very much looking forward to the Christmas Special in a couple weeks.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 11

A Midwinter's Tale Trailer:

https://youtu.be/8ZPn93w8Q8U

Season 2 Teaser Trailer:

https://youtu.be/SM64ZaS40Xs

Lloyd Banks

Last edited by moe416; 01-18-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #37
Pro

hardcor2's Arena

OVR: 2

I have 2 questions about the first season. Firstly how come it seemed like all the witches knew the kinkles were witch hunters except for the spellmans? And secondly how come to bring back the 13 she only had to sacrifice 1 boy? Wouldn't that throw off the balance?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
I like how the aunts substitute "satan" for "god" in regular conversation when people would regularly say "oh god" or "thank god", it's a fun twist. I don't really understand the controversy about the show, it feels pretty innocuous to me.

sorta reminds me of the Fox adaptation of Sleepy Hollow
Yeah, it seems like on Battlestar Galactica, where they said Gods instead of god all the time. It was a little weird coming from AHS: Apocalypse, where they did some of the same.

I though the season was fantastic, and just really well done. Looking forward to the Christmas special and the second season.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 12-10-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #39

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcor2
I have 2 questions about the first season. Firstly how come it seemed like all the witches knew the kinkles were witch hunters except for the spellmans? And secondly how come to bring back the 13 she only had to sacrifice 1 boy? Wouldn't that throw off the balance?
I thought the only ones who knew about the Kinkle family history was the witch in the woods and then the ghostly apparition of Susie's ancestor. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but I didn't think anybody other than that knew (well outside of Madam Satan).

They were two different spells. Sabrina attempted to raise the dead (and also cheat the system) and have Harvey's brother be resurrected. What Madam Satan did was something completely different as I don't think she was resurrecting them and restoring them to how they were when they were alive, but effectively using them as ghost messengers of the Red Rider.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
At what point is someone not highly suggestible and potentially vulnerable? Has science come up with a concrete age?
You gotta love love people obsessed with a 2000 year old book calling others highly suggestible.

As for Satan, it's a metaphor. It's always a metaphor. If you think a tv show about a coven worshipping Satan is real, then the show is not for you. Full stop.

That conversation reminds me of my very first rock concert in 1982, when I saw Ozzy. I was handed a leaflet with a pot leaf on it which was a "honey pot." Opening it was the screed about the evils of rock and roll.

The story the author told was abut going to a Van Halen concert. David Lee Roth, before launching into "Running with the Devil" said to the audience, "Even Jesus Christ can't save your soul at a Van Halen concert." The author then wrote that he began screaming that it wasn't true, that his soul could be saved, urging others to reject this evil.

To this day I remember that leaflet, and it still cracks me up, the image of some dude flipping out at a Van Halen concert because Satan. What makes it funny is that I'm pretty sure everyone just assumed the dude took a little too much LSD. More than 30 years later I am still thinking about this ridiculous dude flipping out at a Van Halen concert.

Regular, normal people enjoy all kinds of entertainment. Horror is one of the great genres because it works so well as a metaphor for society. But most people can watch horror without becoming evil themselves. It's actually the point, telling stories about evil is supposed to teach us how to avoid the trappings.

Last edited by JayhawkerStL; 12-10-2018 at 11:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »