Home

Survivor: Edge of Extinction

This is a discussion on Survivor: Edge of Extinction within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #65
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Survivor: Edge of Extinction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I never get that "strongest player" label either.

Nobody is gonna win immunity after immunity after immunity after immunity. Best run to the finals recently was Ben, and even he had 2 idol finds along with getting some big challenge wins.

What I don't get are why "physical" players are billed as threats. Just because you're more athletic and/or have bigger muscles, doesn't mean you'll do well. If anything, bigger muscles someone has, the worse they'll do in most challenges such as endurance ones (look at last challenge, do you think some 6 foot guy is winning a challenge where you have to hold yourself up while standing on 1 inch rungs)? Wardog being a big example of that. He was completely useless in challenges.
yeah but his name is Wardog, he's automatically a beast
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 0

The physical threat has been a thing since season 2, when Colby went on a run that should have won him the game. Instead, he took the wrong person to the final, and he lost. But I think he won the last six immunities.

But that was season 2. I think the idea that this would be common has been debunked. But it is also why people focus on it. But winning immunities is a terrible way to win. you have to win your share, but, if losing one immunity means you are going home, you really aren't playing well.

I do think targeting those that win the most is not a bad strategy, but it can't override everything else.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #67

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
The physical threat has been a thing since season 2, when Colby went on a run that should have won him the game. Instead, he took the wrong person to the final, and he lost. But I think he won the last six immunities.

But that was season 2. I think the idea that this would be common has been debunked. But it is also why people focus on it. But winning immunities is a terrible way to win. you have to win your share, but, if losing one immunity means you are going home, you really aren't playing well.

I do think targeting those that win the most is not a bad strategy, but it can't override everything else.
How many of the big challenge winners have even won their season? Old school wise I know guys like Colby and Terry haven't won(Terry might have if he made f2), but now people judging things based on physical threats means less than it ever has.

Survivor to start was simply a show about surviving the elements, but has quickly evolved to becoming a show about surviving each other (Jeff said it best. The moment Sue was like "I'm a redneck, I'm not taking orders from some corporate person", was when you realized the show could be more about surviving people over just elements).

Imo, winning challenges is almost as impressive as a good social game.

The outwit,outplay,outlast motto is about more than just 1 thing. Good strategic game, social game, comps,even camp life.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #68

Majingir's Arena

Guess I was wrong on the EoE part. Saving it for the finale. Don't like idea of someone returning so late in game, especially if it's an early boot. Imagine if that guy voted out pre merge returns. I don't even know his name. And he could make the finals.. Even reem could make finals lol.

It's Devens game to lose. 2 tribals to use his idol. Same with Lauren (who probably has to play it at f6 since returning player knows she has it)
Old 05-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #69
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Guess I was wrong on the EoE part. Saving it for the finale. Don't like idea of someone returning so late in game, especially if it's an early boot. Imagine if that guy voted out pre merge returns. I don't even know his name. And he could make the finals.. Even reem could make finals lol.

It's Devens game to lose. 2 tribals to use his idol. Same with Lauren (who probably has to play it at f6 since returning player knows she has it)
It'll be interesting to see if Devens can spin something to carry himself to the end, gotta imagine he's target #1 for everyone, even Julie, unless pulls a miracle. Everyone knows if he gets to the final it's over
Old 05-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #70
Banned

I really enjoyed Devin’s game this week. He used his advantages to their fullest, really forcing everyone to play on the defensive, despite having overwhelming numbers.

Forcing them to chase him in the woods, then hiding so they have to keep on the move was well done. And the way he didn’t play the idol was perfectly executed. Aurora was right that it should have been easy to see through, but Devins understood that the GOP here would turn on her in a heartbeat, it was too much of a gamble not to.

And they really blew it by not working with Julie. That would have been a plus move, getting rid of Aurora, and replacing her with a much more disposable member, and stripping Devin of an ally. Now Devin has an ally, an idol, and possibly another ally on the way.

Basically, the Kama tribe has been one of the worst strategic tribes in the history of the game. They have turned overwhelming strength into a weakness week after week.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #71

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I really enjoyed Devin’s game this week. He used his advantages to their fullest, really forcing everyone to play on the defensive, despite having overwhelming numbers.

Forcing them to chase him in the woods, then hiding so they have to keep on the move was well done. And the way he didn’t play the idol was perfectly executed. Aurora was right that it should have been easy to see through, but Devins understood that the GOP here would turn on her in a heartbeat, it was too much of a gamble not to.

And they really blew it by not working with Julie. That would have been a plus move, getting rid of Aurora, and replacing her with a much more disposable member, and stripping Devin of an ally. Now Devin has an ally, an idol, and possibly another ally on the way.

Basically, the Kama tribe has been one of the worst strategic tribes in the history of the game. They have turned overwhelming strength into a weakness week after week.
Theres been many times a tribe has had numbers into merge and blown it. I dont see Kama any different. What's weird is how they dominated early on, but Manu/Lesu has the way more memorable players. Wardog,Devens,Lauren I find more interesting than a Gavin,Julie,Victoria.

If Devens isnt in the f3, who wins? I have 0 idea who would even be next in line in jury votes. And we don't even know if that's the full jury or if cuts will be made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #72
Banned

The main difference with Kama is that there has been a ton of unforced errors.

They blew up two of their tribals when they had numbers because of how poorly they understood how the game actually works. Part of it is that they had spent so little time at tribal before the merge.

I mean, their brainiest players' big idea was to sell the notion of family visit to keep folks in line, only to have that be exactly what blew up their game. Ron giving of the expired advantage to Devin only worked to seal his now fate.

Mostly, though, it is just everything they do is so half-assed. They didn't follow Devin enough until after he fund the idol. The constantly blow each other up with changing the targets, so they never really know what is going on.

It's not that they lost a big lead. It's that they really bungled it in really dumb ways, sometime small, and sometimes huge.

That said, I might finally be warming up to Victoria, if we are looking for alternates to root for. She's mostly a renegade, but she pulls that off pretty well by lying low most of the time.

Lauren is probably my second choice, though. She's played hard, and not been bad. I'm not sure she has really one much, though.

For some reason, my wife absolutely loathes Devin. It has made watchigng the last two episodes a bit awkward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »