Home

hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!!

This is a discussion on hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF
Just finished a season wiht the Steelers. Big Ben had a 62.5 % completion % with 33 Td's and 12 INTs. Overall the leagues averages were lower and the ints higher but gameplay it's not just the numbers, it's the overall picture of the game and NFL 2k5 crashes every other football game.
I am talking about the CPU not you.

Try this:
Play sixteen games, or even just a couple against good passing teams, with your best sliders. Average the Comp Pct of the CPU. Now the key here is you must play about 9:00 minute quarters in order to get about the right number of plays per team about 61 (rushing att + pass att). I will be shocked if it is not between 45 and 50 pct.(NFL avg. is 59.7) with between 2-4 ints for each team (NFL avg. 1.1 per team per game), even with Tom Brady or Payton Manning.

In fact what is absurd about 2K5 is that the better qbs throw more INTs than the marginal ones. It's a beautiful game, without question. But if one is interested in achieving realistic simulation type stats, it will never happen without massive editing of player ratings and then you can't sim games because the ratings are all messed up and the simulated stats will be ridiculous. The intercepetion will simply not go away on a consistent basis. You may get 1 or 2 even an occasional 0 INT a game and think for a fleeting moment that you have achieved the right balance for CPU v. CPU or coach mode. Then the next game you will get 4 and 5 per team. It's an exercise in frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert
Care to share your sliders, bbfan? Did you adjust ratings for anyone? How about kick accuracy? Did you adjust that? I'd love to hear more about your work. Thanks.
I'm at work right now, but I will post my cpu v. cpu and coach mode sliders when later tonight or tomorrow. I may even post my franchise. It's got fairly up to date rosters. Each team has their 1st round pick from edited rookies and most major FA moves. You can export each team make more revisions and then go into cutomize league to start your own. I do wish we had Finn's schedule editor though.

I know a lot of you guys play in regular player mode, but I just find coach mode to be more intriguing like the real NFL. That's my bias going in. I even enjoy watching CPU v. CPU.

I'll post the info when I get home, but basically I achieved the statistical results I mentioned above by doing a franchise where I control all the teams, because I like to keep up with transactions as much as possible, mirroring the NFL. I have run a few fictional simultations controlling only one team, but the simulation engine on the game when you sim and entire season in grossly over inflated, but if you take control of each team and simulate each game individually, then you will be pleasantly surprised with results.

From what I remember, it is default all pro, sliders at 20 but with the CPU running slider turned all the way down to zero. Human tackling and pursuit are turned up about 5-10. Human running on coach mode is about 5 to ten below 20, but it depends on the back that you are using. If you are using Jerome Bettis or a Power Back it will need to be lower. If you are using Warrick Dunn, it needs to be aboutabout right at default all pro or 20. If you run with a zero slider in coach mode on running, then you won’t do very well. In fact, you will get killed and fumble a lot. So about all-pro level for a finesse back and a bit lower for power backs. You would think it wouldn’t matter in coach mode but it does. You could think that the coach mode would use the same sliders as CPU for running but there seems to be a bias toward the computer running game.

One other key to playing with realistic results is to play with control of all the franchises and simulate each game individually. Also you must go into each coach's game plan and modify the running passing slider. Move it all the way to the right or CPU simply will not pass enough esp. if you aren't stopping the run. That is one thing, but not the only thing, I like about 2K5 the playcalling is much more reflective of an NFL pass run ratio.

I’ll post them later and some additional stats I achieved in franchise with 2K4.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #18
Rookie

RDMercer's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: hot d@mn!!! ESPN 2K4 has far better gameplay than 2K5. make rosters please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan66
I am talking about the CPU not you.

Try this:
Play sixteen games, or even just a couple against good passing teams, with your best sliders. Average the Comp Pct of the CPU. Now the key here is you must play about 9:00 minute quarters in order to get about the right number of plays per team about 61 (rushing att + pass att). I will be shocked if it is not between 45 and 50 pct.(NFL avg. is 59.7) with between 2-4 ints for each team (NFL avg. 1.1 per team per game), even with Tom Brady or Payton Manning.

In fact what is absurd about 2K5 is that the better qbs throw more INTs than the marginal ones. It's a beautiful game, without question. But if one is interested in achieving realistic simulation type stats, it will never happen without massive editing of player ratings and then you can't sim games because the ratings are all messed up and the simulated stats will be ridiculous. The intercepetion will simply not go away on a consistent basis. You may get 1 or 2 even an occasional 0 INT a game and think for a fleeting moment that you have achieved the right balance for CPU v. CPU or coach mode. Then the next game you will get 4 and 5 per team. It's an exercise in frustration.

I'm at work right now, but I will post my cpu v. cpu and coach mode sliders when later tonight or tomorrow. I may even post my franchise. It's got fairly up to date rosters. Each team has their 1st round pick from edited rookies and most major FA moves. You can export each team make more revisions and then go into cutomize league to start your own. I do wish we had Finn's schedule editor though.

I know a lot of you guys play in regular player mode, but I just find coach mode to be more intriguing like the real NFL. That's my bias going in. I even enjoy watching CPU v. CPU.

I'll post the info when I get home, but basically I achieved the statistical results I mentioned above by doing a franchise where I control all the teams, because I like to keep up with transactions as much as possible, mirroring the NFL. I have run a few fictional simultations controlling only one team, but the simulation engine on the game when you sim and entire season in grossly over inflated, but if you take control of each team and simulate each game individually, then you will be pleasantly surprised with results.

From what I remember, it is default all pro, sliders at 20 but with the CPU running slider turned all the way down to zero. Human tackling and pursuit are turned up about 5-10. Human running on coach mode is about 5 to ten below 20, but it depends on the back that you are using. If you are using Jerome Bettis or a Power Back it will need to be lower. If you are using Warrick Dunn, it needs to be aboutabout right at default all pro or 20. If you run with a zero slider in coach mode on running, then you won’t do very well. In fact, you will get killed and fumble a lot. So about all-pro level for a finesse back and a bit lower for power backs. You would think it wouldn’t matter in coach mode but it does. You could think that the coach mode would use the same sliders as CPU for running but there seems to be a bias toward the computer running game.

One other key to playing with realistic results is to play with control of all the franchises and simulate each game individually. Also you must go into each coach's game plan and modify the running passing slider. Move it all the way to the right or CPU simply will not pass enough esp. if you aren't stopping the run. That is one thing, but not the only thing, I like about 2K5 the playcalling is much more reflective of an NFL pass run ratio.

I’ll post them later and some additional stats I achieved in franchise with 2K4.
Yeha man, I'd like to hear some more about Coahin in Franshise and what it takes to control all the teams...post some more please...
peace
Old 09-21-2005, 12:08 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 13

I'm glad all u guys are debating and all but ur never have complete simulation because ITS JUST VIDEO GAMES

HELLO: U BUY TO PLAY THE GAME.

So I realized finally today that we will never achieve perfection. EVERY VIDEO GAME has BUGS.

Just play whichever game u like becuz everyone has an opinion. I love both becuz there made by 2K and there collectables.

Gamertag XRob da Realist
Old 09-21-2005, 04:17 AM   #20
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
adriano....I remember you looking into these things a long time ago fromthe 2kx forums. I don't believe people need to bother with the secure ball rating....except maybe lowering even further for Culpepper! lol

One thing I do is self impose restrictions on the running game. I allow my RB .
well from what I remember of 2k4 all qbs fumbled unless they had a secure ball rating of 50.. My friend would run with Mcnair and on every tackle fumble.. all qbs.. but raising the Qbs secure ball a lil.. not to a backs standards.. makes them a lil more of a option since the D brings it when you do run... no slow reactions to Qbs once they pass the line of scrimage.. unless you do the run to the sideline BS.. thats a glitch in 2k4

As far as stamina for backs.. you wont see 5 shoulder charges in a row if you drop the RB to a 75-77.. FBs are beasts in 2k5 and their break tackles are low.. but their strength and stamina are high
Old 09-21-2005, 06:58 AM   #21
GMF
Rookie

GMF's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrob
HELLO: U BUY TO PLAY THE GAME.

Exactly....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

IMO 2k4 was the best game VC released in the series even though it has some crazy issues. Short passing game was much better. Blitzing was much better. Beating the Blitz was simple with screens and dump offs. DB's were not as dumb. Defenders responded to the QB running. But there were a few things that really made me mad about it, but it's irrelevant at this point.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

anyone has rosters for PS2????
Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 4

Rushing the ball was just TOO easy, and I seldom had a game where at least one punt return or kickoff didn't get returned for a TD. In fact, you NEVER downed the ball on a kickoff, no matter how deep in the endzone since you get it out to the 20 or better 95% of the time.

All that said, I still throw in 2K4 and play a game or two. Good change of pace from 2K5.

Every year it felt like VC was just a couple issues away from having the "perfect" football game. If I could combine the best of 2K4 and 2K5, it would be so close...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »