Home

2K/EA Truce?

This is a discussion on 2K/EA Truce? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
2K/EA Truce?

Sorry if this has been posted, but I saw on the 2K boards this morning some guy posting about a "truce" between EA/2K which allows EA to make an MLB game in 07 and for 2K to make an NFL 2K7. I have trouble believing that either of these companies would do this, but has anyone heard if this is credible?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: 2K/EA Truce?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this will not happen due to the fact that they both just signed exclusivity contracts. It would be great though.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Pro

Erratic's Arena

OVR: 6

Here is the quote...

Quote:
I have a friend that works for EA games in their sports division and he told me that they have already begun work on a new MVP baseball title for next year. I asked him if he meant the NCAA baseball game and he said no it was a MLB game. I didn't believe him at first but he explained to me that a truce is already in the works between EA and 2K games that will allow 2K Sports to make an NFL game again and will also allow EA to make a MLB baseball game beginning this summer. He even showed me some of the work he was doing and sure enough he was working on MVP Baseball 07!!! Anyway, as far as he knows it's a done deal and lawyers from both sides are working out the details and it should be announced sometime this Summer if not sooner. Of course this means that we will get NFL 2K7 if 2K Sports has begun work on the game. It also solves the mystery of the football player that everyone has been wondering about since 2K Sports can't make a football game.
I hope it's real, but I just don't know...
Old 01-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
Here is the quote...

I hope it's real, but I just don't know...
Ya, to me that's really thin...a friend of a friend type of thing. And anyone can say anything on the net, but maybe 2K grabbed the MLB exclusive deal as leverage in case EA decided they weren't going to be able to make money in the long run on their 5 year deal with the NFL. Maybe that's why there hasn't been any word on a 2K football game...they were waiting to see how EA played it out. It's all conjecture, and I highly doubt there is anything to it, but I was wondering if anyone else had heard something other than the guy in the quote.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

I had a guy that I'm good with, that has inside sources. He told me the same thing a month ago and I laughed at him. But after reading the info above...That fool might have been telling the truth...if thats the case....Heck yeah....back to good ole' competition in the industry and freedom of choice. That shouldn't have been taken away from us gamers anyway...Let it be 2k
fans or EA fans...

I think both sides of the consumer based would be greatfully happy to know we can get our sequels back to our favorite sports titles after a year of suffering...And torture...to play mediocre titles released...

Via (Madden 360 and MVP NCAA Baseball) Just Mediocre...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
I had a guy that I'm good with, that has inside sources. He told me the same thing a month ago and I laughed at him. But after reading the info above...That fool might have been telling the truth...if thats the case....Heck yeah....back to good ole' competition in the industry and freedom of choice. That shouldn't have been taken away from us gamers anyway...Let it be 2k
fans or EA fans...

I think both sides of the consumer based would be greatfully happy to know we can get our sequels back to our favorite sports titles after a year of suffering...And torture...to play mediocre titles released...

Via (Madden 360 and MVP NCAA Baseball) Just Mediocre...
MVP NCAA Baseball is very good. Interesting how you don't mention 2K's questionable baseball titles but that's beside the point.

While I wish this was true, I can't see EA agreeing to let 2K make an NFL game in exchange for them being allowed to make a MLB game. The numbers don't add up. The video game baseball market is MUCH smaller than the football market. In order for this truce to happen I'm guessing the amount 2K would have to pay to EA for the NFL license would be significantly bigger than what EA pays 2K for the MLB license.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:07 PM   #7
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Sorry if this has been posted, but I saw on the 2K boards this morning some guy posting about a "truce" between EA/2K which allows EA to make an MLB game in 07 and for 2K to make an NFL 2K7. I have trouble believing that either of these companies would do this, but has anyone heard if this is credible?
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

After both companies shell out nearly a billion - with a "b" - dollars for exclusivity deals, does anyone rational really think they'd simply agree to "let" another manufacturer go around it?

What possible reason would compel either EA or 2K to do this?
The NFL games always make more money, so it'd be foolhardy for EA to do such a thing, and besides - they'd need the NFL's and MLB's blessings for any such arrangement.

In short - somebody's wishing upon a star... and not very realistically, either.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

The answer is maybe:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6143391.html

Well, who will buy Take 2?
So far I would guess EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »