Home

2K Forums - Cryptic Announcement on Tuesday

This is a discussion on 2K Forums - Cryptic Announcement on Tuesday within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #73
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 2K Forums - Cryptic Announcement on Tuesday

If 2K releases at same time as madden or within a week or two I really don't see the masses buying it over Madden. Of course anyone that frequents the 2K forums or OS forums would, but I think that would be a very small segment.

I would think that the casual gamer would only buy one football game in a given month. But wait until say October or November and release it then I believe the madden media blitz will be died down and it would be in time for the holidays and no longer competing against Madden.

Like someone said earlier, any game that is seen as quality through reviews and press is selling good on the 360 due to lack of great games, so as long as it's up to 2K's past efforts I see it selling fine no matter when it's released.

Last edited by xylocaine; 08-14-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocaine
If 2K release at same time as madden or within a week or two I really don't see the masses buying it over Madden. Of course anyone that frequents the 2K forums or OS forums would, but I think that would be a very small segment.

I would think that the casual gamer would only buy one football game in a given month. But wait until say October or November and release it then I believe the madden media blitz will be died down and it would be in time for the holidays and no longer competing against Madden.

Like someone said earlier, any game that is seen as quality through reviews and press is selling good on the 360 due to lack of great games, so as long as it's up to 2K's past efforst I see it selling fine no matter when it's released.
If the game have a next gen engine I think gamers will buy a generic football game.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
oh i dont know...this is a stretch but what if they did it out of the love for the game...yeah a big stretch
Sure, but when those dev's are already working ridiculously long hours getting their main project finished, how much time do you think they have left over for the NFL game?

This is assuming we're talking building a next-gen game from nearly the ground-up. There's a lot of hours to be spent there and not enough time with 360 dev kits to get that finished this year IMO.

We've all read the articles (and I've seen it firsthand) the amount of hours developers work. I just don't see how they could get out a football game on a next-gen console this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #76
dsk
Rookie

OVR: 2

Not having licenses never kept soccer fans from playing Winning Eleven. I think an unlicensed football game would do just as well if the gameplay was equal to or exceeded what 2k5 gave us.

It seems to me that 2k always enjoyed being the underdog. They took pride in not trying to win the revenue wars against madden, but simply taking market share. As for profits, they were not thinking about huge profits when they released 2K5 at $19.99...
Old 08-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #77
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboo
Sure, but when those dev's are already working ridiculously long hours getting their main project finished, how much time do you think they have left over for the NFL game?

This is assuming we're talking building a next-gen game from nearly the ground-up. There's a lot of hours to be spent there and not enough time with 360 dev kits to get that finished this year IMO.

We've all read the articles (and I've seen it firsthand) the amount of hours developers work. I just don't see how they could get out a football game on a next-gen console this year.

Well if they treat it as they did with the basketball games and simply "port over" the exsisting engine, this may work as well. I dont know how hard it was to port over NBA and NCAA to the 360 but if they can do so in such a short amount of time, it may not have been that hard to port 2K5 over to the 360 hardware.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #78
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
And by the way, reliable sources have told me that the cryptic message is:

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

LOL!

That's great. You gets much props!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #79
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

Adding the names, logos, uniforms, etc might not be as hard as everyone thinks. Did any of you ever create your own team with names, logos, and uniforms in Madden PC years back? I did and it was very easy to do.

Basically the logos where small picture files that you could update and then your logo would be shown on the helmets, jerseys, and stadiums. From what I can tell, if they do something similar and make blank picture files as place holders, once they finalize the logo graphics it should be a go. With minor testing needed.

If EA gave "the gamer" the ability to do this with ease, imagine what the developers could do. The audio for the names would probably take the most time, but how long could that possibly take.

I bet 2K is banking on its fanbase for the majority of its profit. All the advertising in the world will not get your average Joe to buy the game since the NFL is represented in Madden. After word gets around (like High Heat Baseball and Winning Eleven), then they would need a full blown marketing strategy. Although I only heard of High Heat and WE from message boards, and look how well those games did (and are doing). Don't forget, High Heat did not put 3DO out of business, it was their other lacking titles. Take Two has enough money to take a hit in year one.

I have a feeling that this game could be release early next year around playoff time. Just when EVERYONE is into football.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #80
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
I agree with TO here (hey man). Look at 2Ks history with their games. First, they have always taken advantage of the hardware the console offers (custom music, online leagues etc.), and second, they can offer this game at a "table-tennis" like price. Maybe 39.99 on next-gen. That gives them a showcase of what they can do with footbal and then offer it at a great price.

And by the way, reliable sources have told me that the cryptic message is:

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."
Son of a bitch...a crummy commercial.....
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »