Home

Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges.

This is a discussion on Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
if they did sell 2.5 mil (2k5) at least Half a million of those fans would at least try it...if its good it..it could easily sell 1 million copies.. It also depends on the price, if they can come in at 39.99 or It could sell one mil easily..With 360 games coming in at 59... it would sell easily
DONT KNOW ABOUT YALL BUT I MIGHT BUY TWO COPIES OF THIS GAME. FOR ONE I WANT THE SALES TO GO THRU THE ROOF ( SHOW THE NFL WHATS UP) AND WHEN I BURNOUT MY FIRST COPY I GOT ANOTHER ONE ON STAND BUY.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #66
Pro

FocusYoMindOnDis's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Winning Eleven-style editability: this is where the success of this series hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
I think I could go with completely generic players. No different than year 8 of a 'chise...

Exactly
Old 02-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #67
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

I really like this idea and think that it could work really well.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #68
Pro

Bruin26's Arena

OVR: 9

I also have no problem with generix players. I actually hope they put some thought into the teams and allow some customizing as well. Blitz actually did some good things when creating their new league. Yes the football is not sim like, but they did put a lot of thought and effort into creating the league and teams. The team names and uniforms don't appear fake like, like you see when being able to create new teams in a lot of sports games. If they take it serious when creating the teams and players, I really think they can have a hit on their hands. I would actually welcome a game like that because it would be different than the same ol NFL game.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #69
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog805
Yeah I absolutely hated the playcalling in the newer NFL 2k games...
I know what you guys mean but there was always a trick to selecting plays back then. Find a play you want to run and hold down the main button. Then, scroll through and find another play. Release the button. The first play will actually be the play that you're going to run while your opponent will think that it's the second play.

With the three box setup, you can still see / know what play your opponent is running. It's all about what the situation is and how your friend / opponent plays.

Besides, with hot routes, audibles and whatever other stuff that's available pre-snap, it doesnt really matter in the end.

Online, it wouldnt matter at all.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:56 AM   #70
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Without an NFL license they could put the game on a 2 year development curve and maybe issue a patch or downloadable content around the 1 year mark to freshen things up a bit. You have to figure a major reason they are doing this is to stay in the game for when the NFL license does become available. If they actually wind up selling a crap load of games its all gravy... maybe even forcing EA or the NFL to consider an early buy out.

The way to insure you get the most sales without a license is to make it a complete sandbox all in one game. Play any type of football you want, run a college style league and a pro style league and have the players graduate into the next league.

I think you get around the roster issue easily by having online leagues where the league owner transfers the league roster to all other players. Or maybe you allow roster transfers during one on one matchups. That way it isn't just a free marketplace where you download NFL rosters but you don't have to buy memory cards and PC adapters to get them, just join the right league or choose the right opponent.

Just about what I had in mind. I like the two year development cycle since they could really go to town on the game engine. No matter what they put in APF 2K8, there will be a long list of features people still want.

As far as a college version, I'd rather they put out a customizable College Football 2K9 since the rules and gameplay feel are so different from the pro game.

Didn't NFL Fever 2004 allow you to play online with custom rosters? How was that done? A quick file transfer between opponents? Sounds like an easy way to get NFL-type rosters to those that want them. I remember how cool it was to play 2K5 with an online league, as we got to trade some players and you downloaded the roster when you went online to play your games. I don't think 2K Sports would allow NFL-type rosters though, not through the games official online leagues anyway.

Finally, I do feel part of why we are getting APF 2K8 is that 2K Sports wants to be ready in 2010 IF the NFL license is opened up again. They couldn't just toss together a next-gen football game, but instead can have one already "battle tested" through the APF game (or games if they do indeed make more than one).
Old 02-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 2

does anyone know anything about patching a game?

i downloaded an option file which was amazing having real kits and names (pro-evo 6)
ive since seen a patched version of the ps2 game which had new stadiums and different crowd chants. it looked awesome!

could something like that be done?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
You have an excellent point there, I hadn't even thought of that. How does the WE franchise convince gamers to buy the new game every year?

They keep improving the gameplay. More realistic ball physics, more realistic player movements, better league play, etc. I don't think customizability has to hurt future sales of improved versions of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »