Home

Anti-Madden reaches the media

This is a discussion on Anti-Madden reaches the media within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Anti-Madden reaches the media

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
I wonder how quickly this'll be locked, much like the Dallas Morning News article in the madden thread.

Anyway he made some salient points that many have been saying here.

Hes also right about Dark Knight (aka Batman in the windy city), overly long, overly rated.
What points? That Madden was too complicated and sim football should be saved for Head Coach

From the article:

Quote:
The Xbox 360 version of the game looks great. But somewhere along the line this series lost something for us when it comes to the overall game play. There’s just too much going on. Too many plays, too many pre-snap options, too much crap to figure out. The icons under certain players, which debuted a year or so ago, are unnecessary and annoying; football fans know who has good hands and who can sack the quarterback. Those who don’t already know it can go figure it out on their own.

In the future, the better approach would be to push all of the simulation stuff to the “Head Coach” game, and to make Madden the thing that made Madden great — a way to play football at home without having to deal with lining up the plastic dudes on the vibrating metal field.
I understand why some people don't like Madden but his points are pretty far away from why I thought most 2k loyalists didn't like Madden. Or do people just blindly agree with anyone who says something negative about Madden these days?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyOrgan
Exactly. The name 'Madden' has become nothing more than a brand name, thats almost reached the highest possibly level. EA could honestly release virtually the same game two years in a row, only updating the rosters, and people would still buy it in droves, because it's Madden. The majority of gamers want nothing to do with updating rosters or downloading rosters. Their mindset is that playing an older game is ridiculous, so they think they have no choice but to buy something new.

You really could get into the psyche of the gamer/consumer, and how EA has them completely brainwashed, but I'm no capitalist expert, and really, Madden is not worth the time.
So you've put some quality time in with Madden 09?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
The icons under certain players, which debuted a year or so ago, are unnecessary and annoying
Quote:
EA Sports snatched up the exclusive NFL/NFLPA license and killed an arguably superior 2K franchise, give the developers too much license to do what they wanted to do with the Madden game, without regard to whether the consumers wanted it that way?
These are the points I was talking about.

yeah he says some stupid things that you pointed out. But, like others have said, madden usally gets a pass by not only the MSM but from the gaming media as well, its just nice to see the 'bloom coming of the rose' so to speak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
These are the points I was talking about.

yeah he says some stupid things that you pointed out. But, like others have said, madden usally gets a pass by not only the MSM but from the gaming media as well, its just nice to see the 'bloom coming of the rose' so to speak.
Your first point is simply a matter of preference, and really has no effect on the game one way or the other, and to be honest I don't even notice them in game. 2nd point is valid, but this article certainly doesn't back it up, but uses it as a crutch to throw one last jab at Madden.

I know people are desperate to see anything negative published about Madden, but what he said, doesn't really seem to further that cause. If anything the hardcore gamers will take it the opposite. I just don't buy in to the any criticism no matter how ridiculous it is, is good criticism.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Like I said, I thought he made 2 decent points. Im certainly not going to defend the rest of his article for him.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #14
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4

Um... it would seem that everyone is debating semantics and missing the point, which I never meant to happen, but I guess I should'a counted on: a legit media outlet (I say this because Mike Florio is a real journalist and the member's list of the site is chock full o' NFL insiders) simply said, and I paraphrase, he's "putting the game down and playing something else". Basically, just to be melodramatic about it, the cries of the few are being heard...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

PFT is a legit media outlet? I have now heard it all.

He didn't say he was puitting it down, he said he hadn't put it down as fast as the past versions. And his criticism was due to it being too complicated and simlike. I don't see how this article is something to rejoice for 2k fans.

Last edited by bkrich83; 08-14-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
So you've put some quality time in with Madden 09?
My sports-gaming brethren, I ask the same of you; have you put in any quality time with 2k5?

I was a Madden loyalist since '97. All that changed after playing 2k5. All I saw was EA making a game play worse but look better every year that I bought it.

Is it a bit cult-ish around here? Well, I'll say this, I would never use that in a negative connotation...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »