Home

Can 2K Sports get the NFL License in 2012?

This is a discussion on Can 2K Sports get the NFL License in 2012? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Can 2K Sports get the NFL License in 2012?

In other words, do you think they can outbid EA? I ask this because after reading some threads, I've noticed that there are some people who think that at 2012, NFL 2k12 will be the greatest football game ever because EA will no longer have the NFL license.

I immediately thought, wouldn't EA buy the NFL license again for another 4-5 years? If that's true, then there will probably never be a 2K12 or 2Kinfinity game ever because EA has too much money.

If I'm missing something let me know. Is it possible and realistic for 2K Sports get the NFL license?

Thanks. I love 2K5 and would like to see more of it in the future.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Can 2K Sports get the NFL License in 2012?

well, technically it goes thru the 2012 season & that ends on the 2013 Super Bowl...

...so really it would be the 2K14 title as the earliest return for the series, not 2K12

Old 09-24-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.juggernaut
In other words, do you think they can outbid EA? I ask this because after reading some threads, I've noticed that there are some people who think that at 2012, NFL 2k12 will be the greatest football game ever because EA will no longer have the NFL license.

I immediately thought, wouldn't EA buy the NFL license again for another 4-5 years? If that's true, then there will probably never be a 2K12 or 2Kinfinity game ever because EA has too much money.

If I'm missing something let me know. Is it possible and realistic for 2K Sports get the NFL license?

Thanks. I love 2K5 and would like to see more of it in the future.
Well, the idea is that the NFL could decide that they don't want to be exclusive anymore. If that happens, then there won't BE a bidding process and 2k can start making games again to compete with Madden.

Call it a hunch, but I think that's what will happen.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Banned

pats3912's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
Well, the idea is that the NFL could decide that they don't want to be exclusive anymore. If that happens, then there won't BE a bidding process and 2k can start making games again to compete with Madden.

Call it a hunch, but I think that's what will happen.
That would be nice, but the NFL has been in exclusive licenses with Reebok and Direct TV for how long now?? .....and its still going and not showing any signs of letting go. The NFL loves exclusive licensing and im sure their ties with EA will go on forever untill 2k figures out a way to run EA into the ground which could be a long long long time.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I assume EA and the NFL will come to an extension agreement before the current one runs out.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I assume EA and the NFL will come to an extension agreement before the current one runs out.
Unfortunately, this.

Also, it would take 2k a while to build a new game if they did find out the license was no longer exclusive. Plus isn't EA still trying to buy Take Two?

I'd say there's a 3-5% chance we see another NFL game, and if it happens, it'd probably be NFL 2k15.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_future420
Plus isn't EA still trying to buy Take Two?
That finally died off last week, but other parties are still trying to acquire TT.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

2ks best chance at getting the NFL license who be to get bought out by a major 3rd party Publisher, Activision-Blizzard is the only one who has the resources to hang with EA. They would also have to bring back their football game, and have sales that would rival maddens.

To many things have to happen for 2k to get the NFL license...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »