Home

GMR gives ESPN...........

This is a discussion on GMR gives ESPN........... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 PM   #33
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: GMR gives ESPN...........

Yada, yada, yada. Just admit that you're saddened that every publication so far has scored, better yet reviewed ESPN poorly. Short non-detailed paragraph or not. It hurts you inside.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:02 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:

Graphik said:
Yada, yada, yada. Just admit that you're saddened that every publication so far has scored, better yet reviewed ESPN poorly. Short non-detailed paragraph or not. It hurts you inside.

Face it you got owned. You ran out of valid arguements ages ago.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:09 PM   #35
All Star

OVR: 32

Quote:

Sleeper said:
Quote:

Graphik said:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2003, 09:11 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

All I know is if he gave the game a 10/10 and said all this stuff, no one would be complaining.

While no one would be complaining, I sure as hell would be skeptical EVEN if it is ESPN. Even the greats rarely receive a 10/10. Take a look at game of the year from other genre's and rarely do those games receive perfect scores. They may be close but not spot on perfect. Splinter Cell, Metroid Prime, even when Halo first came out. I myself am opposed in giving perfect scores really, because we know that even though we may love a game, there is bound to be something that just isn't up to snuff. Now I will say this, I think and this is just my own concept of a review, and it is something I have GROWN in to that unless the review is a analytic compare and contrast review then why does the competition of the game under review have to be mentioned? The game under review should be graded upon its own merits, NOT, whether or not the controls, on the field, ect is as good as, or is LIKE some other game. I think the questions should always be, "what did this game do good/right? How did they pull it off? How has it one uped its predecessor(notice predecessor NOT competitor)? and what are some lingering concerns? and what can they focus on for the next round? NOT, how does this game stack up against its competitor? This is why people are responding the way they are responding, because the game is being compared to its competitor and the person reviewing MAY just LOVE the competitors game MORE than the one they are reviewing. Me personally, I have no problem with a maddenite doing an EXTENSIVE review of the 2k series. Nor would I have a problem with a 2k gamer giving Madden an EXTENSIVE review. Because if the review is extensive, then he/she while they may not SHARE my JOY and enthusiasm about such a game, they will come to appreciate the game and understand HOW someone could like it. But when a review is not extensive, I take it SOMETIMES as people talking out of their *** and playing politics especially when the game is NOT graded on its own merits of what it does good/right. Now if at the outset, the review is said to be an analytic comparison, then cool compare and say where this one fails in light of that one ect. But to not list a review as such and then to go and perform the comparison, I think that's what gets people riled up and respond in a certain fashion.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:19 PM   #37
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I agree! I often wonder why reviewers of ESPN and MADDEN often do this crap. i'm not so into the other genres of games but I sometimes read the reviews and such to see what's new and hot in the gaming world and rarely if ever does the reviewer mention a competitor. They will make reference to another game in the same genre and say something like "in this FPS there are more challenges then "game x"" and that would be it as far as mentioning another title.

It seems that the reviewers of the football titles just love to denegrate the competitor's product because they are more familiar with the game they like more. (in most cases MADDEN)

I also think that it would be GREAT if a maddenite and a 2K fan would do an unbiased and fair review of the competition. Maybe this is something that OS can do?

It would be very interesting to read what a Maddenite deems as the positives and negatives of ESPN and vice versa. Unfortunately everything seems to be slanted towards EA which is a shame.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:38 PM   #38
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

Sleeper said:
Quote:

Graphik said:

I'm just sick off coming up with arguments on why 1 single individual gave the review he gave. You're the one coming up with these conspiracies on why he reviewed the game the way he did. I've seen the same crap in every one of these review threads. 2Kers gettting POed over some guys review because you have a slight feeling he may be right. The thing is, you guys cant handle the truth.

If I or anyone else for that matter were to review a game and say that it sucks, would'nt that be just my opinion? Would yall keep coming up with these theories on why I dont like the game. I'm a fanboi, I dont know what I'm talking about, I never played last years version. Its just pure BS. You guys simply cant handle one persons opinion if it does'nt match yours.

And I've been sticking up for both games since news and footage started being released. And one thing I've noticed between Sega fanbois and Maddenites are that Sega fans envy the hell out of Madden. Thats the truth whether you can admit it or not. I noticed that I've been sticking up for Madden way more than 2K3 cause 2Kers simply bash the game cause another poster said he does'nt like it, or a poster says Madden does this better. I made that last post cause its the truth. You're mad nobody like the game the way you do. I'm not gonna keep defending the reviwer cause you're to stubborn to realize that his opinion means diddlysquat cause thats just what it is.....his opinion.

Fanbois make me sick.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 PM   #39
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

Graphik said:
Quote:

Sleeper said:
Quote:

Graphik said:

I'm just sick off coming up with arguments on why 1 single individual gave the review he gave. You're the one coming up with these conspiracies on why he reviewed the game the way he did. I've seen the same crap in every one of these review threads. 2Kers gettting POed over some guys review because you have a slight feeling he may be right. The thing is, you guys cant handle the truth.

If I or anyone else for that matter were to review a game and say that it sucks, would'nt that be just my opinion? Would yall keep coming up with these theories on why I dont like the game. I'm a fanboi, I dont know what I'm talking about, I never played last years version. Its just pure BS. You guys simply cant handle one persons opinion if it does'nt match yours.

And I've been sticking up for both games since news and footage started being released. And one thing I've noticed between Sega fanbois and Maddenites are that Sega fans envy the hell out of Madden. Thats the truth whether you can admit it or not. I noticed that I've been sticking up for Madden way more than 2K3 cause 2Kers simply bash the game cause another poster said he does'nt like it, or a poster says Madden does this better. I made that last post cause its the truth. You're mad nobody like the game the way you do. I'm not gonna keep defending the reviwer cause you're to stubborn to realize that his opinion means diddlysquat cause thats just what it is.....his opinion.

Fanbois make me sick.

And the madden fans don't bash 2k? That's the worst lie I've ever seen. The madden fans are the most closed-minded people on this forum.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:50 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well this is my 2 cents. Regardless of what the reviewers say it's all their opinion. We all will have different opinions when it comes to these two franchises because that's the beauty of competition. For any gamer to actually believe that a franchise that has 14 years, brand recognition, loyal fanbase, hall of fame induction, etc. would be outscored in a publication over another title that's still in its infancy, searching for identitiy, & limited brand recognition is really dreaming.

Madden is like an American icon in the videogame industry. People will always be biased to some degree when putting another title against it & for Maddenites to not acknowledge that fact is bullheaded on their part. Now graphik has made it clear that he's a Madden fan so when something like this is posted of course any Madden fan is gonna run with it. Just because some reviewers say Madden's better doesn't mean it's better. Just because some say ESPN'S better doesn't mean it's better. Obviously if you look at the reviews from all the publications you will notice a trend. PSM & Gamepro are individual publications who gave a pretty fair & honest review about both titles & came to those conclusions on both games own merits.

EGM & GMR are both published by the same company Ziff Davis
& therefore uses the same practices when reviewing titles. In both of their reviews ESPN in some form or fashion is referenced in comparison to Madden. Madden is almost mentioned more than ESPN in the reviews. Last year we gloated(2kers) about the reviews going in our favor so now it's the Maddenites turn. Just know that whatever game you decide to play this year that your opinion of it is what matters the most.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »