Home

Big Problem: Post/Flags are still money

This is a discussion on Big Problem: Post/Flags are still money within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2003, 09:45 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Big Problem: Post/Flags are still money

I don't know why I punish myself anymore. Turn the game back in and go play Solitaire. Isn't that what you want anyway. You obviously don't like competition so just play cards or something. I know, I know,"...Dude, not everyone likes to play online, some of us just like to beat up on the CPU and whine about it.."

When will you guys get it? Amazing.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:05 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

JFo said:
I dont get why people waste all they re time looking for the little cheap things that you can do vs the CPU then say th egame is flawed I think most games are made to be played a certain way and not find a one play or pass that works everytime then run it...just have fun with it....beleive me I want realism as much as anyone and thats the way I play mixing it up or playing the style of ball the team I am in real life ...I dont know I have bumped up to legend for more of a challenge and have had one game so far and it was awesome so I guess what im saying is I would have never known about all these money plays and supposed GLITCHES if I didnt read about them becuz I dont see the point in searching out for these things and making a big deal after it

While some are doing nothing but "Testing" and "Experimenting" and "Looking for flaws" , I am enjoying the Heck out of the game in my franchise !!
Old 09-07-2003, 10:45 AM   #11
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

JRod said:
After some exteneded time trying this out becuase of the sliders these type of plays are still money.

Here's what I did. Default legend sliders TB v Oak. (15 first halves) Other teams 25 halves. A few plays that include the long (15+) post over the middle. What happens is the defense clears out the middle and you can complete these types of plays probably atleast once in four downs.

Certain plays clear out the middle not neccesarily the route. If you just have a flag route it's not garuanteed. I guess there might be a few reasons for the this. The DB coverage is quite poor when it comes to closing. They will be in prime position to make the play only to jump for the INT. A tackle might be the better decision so the WR can't complete the catch but this doens't happen. What is needed is the wrap around animation that has the DB put one hand on the back of the WR and the other is trying to knock down the ball.

So what does that leave us. Not all plays and not all flag routes work. That's good bad news. There are definate money plays with different teams. That's why some of you don't see the problem. However once you find that money play it turns into automatic first downs. So you can stop calling these type of plays which helps. But certainly a chink in ESPN's armor.

The CPU AI never adapts to certain plays being called more than once. I understand they don't expect us to play like this but shouldn't "good" AI be able to adapt?

Not trying to destroy the game. I just don't want the game to be easy.

Jrod, I know your a hardass on games but just play the game man. I'm using your sliders (thanks by the way) and I dont seem to be having the problems you do. By no means are post opatterns money. The only time I can get them consistently is if 3 things happen. 1) I get time in the pocket for the play to develop 2) There is no bump and run or double team coverage and 3) if my player catches and holds on to the ball. And thats how its should be and rarely do all 3 of those things happen.

The flag routes work a little more then I like but its not like they are automatic and the only ones that work for me ar flags by the tight end and slot recievers. And not enough to consioder it a money play.

Maybe your are a much better player then me but neither one of those plays seem to be automatic for me. Once again thanks for the sliders and try to enjoy the game instead of focusing on an AI hole

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2003, 10:54 AM   #12
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

I applaud your efforts Jrod.

You are obviously much better at this game than I am and many people are grateful for your work on this game and the sliders

OTOH (and y'all go ahead and flame me if you wish ), would it be asking too much to post this kind of stuff in a more non-descript thread about "flaws" with SPOILER posted in the title.

this way...those of us who like to read these boards and STILL keep our heads buried in the sand, can continue to do so.

Translation:
I suck so bad...I'd never find the money plays, but if someone tells me about them, I'd be tempted to use them until a fix comes along.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:56 AM   #13
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

JRod said:
After some exteneded time trying this out becuase of the sliders these type of plays are still money.

Here's what I did. Default legend sliders TB v Oak. (15 first halves) Other teams 25 halves. A few plays that include the long (15+) post over the middle. What happens is the defense clears out the middle and you can complete these types of plays probably atleast once in four downs.

Certain plays clear out the middle not neccesarily the route. If you just have a flag route it's not garuanteed. I guess there might be a few reasons for the this. The DB coverage is quite poor when it comes to closing. They will be in prime position to make the play only to jump for the INT. A tackle might be the better decision so the WR can't complete the catch but this doens't happen. What is needed is the wrap around animation that has the DB put one hand on the back of the WR and the other is trying to knock down the ball.

So what does that leave us. Not all plays and not all flag routes work. That's good bad news. There are definate money plays with different teams. That's why some of you don't see the problem. However once you find that money play it turns into automatic first downs. So you can stop calling these type of plays which helps. But certainly a chink in ESPN's armor.

The CPU AI never adapts to certain plays being called more than once. I understand they don't expect us to play like this but shouldn't "good" AI be able to adapt?

Not trying to destroy the game. I just don't want the game to be easy.

Have you tried editing out all versions of the flag route out of your playbook? This can be done, it just takes a little time.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:08 AM   #14
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:

Heelfan71 said:
Quote:

JFo said:
I dont get why people waste all they re time looking for the little cheap things that you can do vs the CPU then say th egame is flawed I think most games are made to be played a certain way and not find a one play or pass that works everytime then run it...just have fun with it....beleive me I want realism as much as anyone and thats the way I play mixing it up or playing the style of ball the team I am in real life ...I dont know I have bumped up to legend for more of a challenge and have had one game so far and it was awesome so I guess what im saying is I would have never known about all these money plays and supposed GLITCHES if I didnt read about them becuz I dont see the point in searching out for these things and making a big deal after it

While some are doing nothing but "Testing" and "Experimenting" and "Looking for flaws" , I am enjoying the Heck out of the game in my franchise !!

Same here man, the game rocks!
Old 09-07-2003, 01:29 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:

penguit said:
Quote:

JRod said:
and you can complete these types of plays probably atleast once in four downs.

What?!?!?! So 1 in 4 is a money play? Come on now... this is not the definition of a money. I think the main problem is "time"... if you can get enough time to throw a flag out 4 times in a row, reduce your blocking, cuz you've got too much time. Your QB should be under pursuit all the time in this game, that's how you minimize your success. When I play, I often don't have the right time and opportunity to get it to that WR running the flag route. Many times I'm duckin a WR, or moving up in the pocket, and by then the opportunity is gone, or I have to dump it off.

I guess I'd say work on getting more pressure to your QB. 3-4 seconds is all you should have, and many of those plays, some of that time is ducking a defender and looking at other options... guesss it's just me...

Great post, Penguit. I haven't even really messed with any sliders, as I always seem to be hoping for some more time to begin with on a lot of those flag routes. Good thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Its so true, you get more than 3-4 seconds to throw damn near ANY play can turn into a money play. Weaken up that offensive line and I will bet it will be more scary trying those flag routes. What happens then is you will start looking for ANOTHER way to eploit the game. Any way when messing with sliders adjust them against an All Legend team. Defenses vary from team to team, some weak some strong adjust them to a flawless team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »