Home

How is this for a solution to the RB breaking tackles

This is a discussion on How is this for a solution to the RB breaking tackles within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2003, 01:56 PM   #33
MVP

thejake's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: How is this for a solution to the RB breaking tackles

i just started a broncos franchise and got torched by dillon in the first game for 250+ yards. al wilson did have 10 tackles and but dillon broke a total of 24 tackles.

i have been following the tips alot of you have been giving. i guess i just need more repitition. i won the game 52 - 49. i will try to get in my second game againt the chargers tonight. i hate to see what lt does to me.

one thing about the game against the bengals--in the forth quarter i did decide to lock deltha oneal on chad johnson (who also torched me) and double him (however that works) and lock john mobley on dillon. i played a lot better after that and i am hoping i can start to play better d if i play that way from the get go.

my only problem was its the BENGALS. i shouldnt have to be so darn creative to shut them down.

with all that said i am loving the game because of the chess match you play before every snap. i love the way audibles are implemented and how you can flip the direction of plays without changing the formation. and i also love the run blocking.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:36 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

thanks for the tip I was thinking about trying that...
Old 09-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 18

I have been reading the posts concerning the running in ESPN("E") and I must say this, if you call the wrong play or if you are out of proper position (meaning pursuit angle) then yes the back will get major yards. However, if you understand how to balance your line and use the blitz properly you can stop the run. I play on all pro default, the only slider i changed was human running because I felt the faulk (I am the rams) was averaging too many yards per carry 6.3.

The defensive stragegy i use is simple yet very effective. I mix the 4-3 and Bear because the computer does get used to your tendencies. Understand, the two most important downs in the game are first and second down, if you nut up and concentrate your strategy on those two downs, then the computer will have to pass on third. I use on first down the 4-3 blitz where the lb'rs blitz from the left side, I then shift my line right and control the defensive end. I match my best defender against there best receiver and match my best lb against there best back. I manage to stop the computer for a loss or at best a 4 yrd gain most of the time. The key to this game is you have to know what the hell you are doing. Don't get mad at the game, again just man up. I remember playing against seattle, they rushed alexander 36 times for 136yrds that came out to about 4.3 yards a carry, very realistic. He got one good run against me on a 3rd and 14 I called dime, they ran a draw and got me!!! good damn play.

Some of you guys nuts haven't dropped yet when it comes to playing a challenging game of football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

yeah i have diveitis from all the years of madden and i am working on it ...but yes in espn you have to play solid defense you can't just try stuff and get away with it like in other games
Old 09-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #37
All Star

OVR: 23

I've been using some of the tips given on this board and for the most part, they have been working great. But, there are a few plays here and there where broken tackles are out of hand.

I just played a game against STL using the Falcons. It was 3rd and 14 so I use a zone defense in Dime package. Warner throws a screen to Faulk who immediately breaks a tackle, throws a stiff arm on another defender, breaks another tackle and finally gets taken down after dragging the last guy for 3 yards gaining about 25 yards on the play.

The majority of complaints in these forums about running being too hard may be because of poor defense, but broken tackles are a little to extreme in this game.

Old 09-24-2003, 03:15 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

This game requires a great deal of DISCIPLINE. I am now being more careful with my LB play. I found myself letting go of the strafe and crashing to the back and leaving a cutback lane.

I play with the MLB always and now I am moving laterally and only break out a sprint on a toss play where strafing just won't cut it.

Old 09-24-2003, 03:26 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

thejake said:
i just started a broncos franchise and got torched by dillon in the first game for 250+ yards. al wilson did have 10 tackles and but dillon broke a total of 24 tackles.

i have been following the tips alot of you have been giving. i guess i just need more repitition. i won the game 52 - 49. i will try to get in my second game againt the chargers tonight. i hate to see what lt does to me.

one thing about the game against the bengals--in the forth quarter i did decide to lock deltha oneal on chad johnson (who also torched me) and double him (however that works) and lock john mobley on dillon. i played a lot better after that and i am hoping i can start to play better d if i play that way from the get go.

my only problem was its the BENGALS. i shouldnt have to be so darn creative to shut them down.

with all that said i am loving the game because of the chess match you play before every snap. i love the way audibles are implemented and how you can flip the direction of plays without changing the formation. and i also love the run blocking.

Come on man with Mobley, Gold and Wilson Dillon should be lucky to get 75 yards. With those guys I don't have many broken tackles and Wilson is a tackling machine in this game. I don't blitz my Bronco LBs. I blitz either a safety or free safety and let Mobley, Gold and Wilson roam free. Against the better backs I do assign Wilson to them on occassion. The only suspect part of the Broncos D is the secondary and if you let the LBs roam they'll help out the secondary. So I only control D-linemen when using the Broncos. The funny thing is after seeing the Broncos monday night it was nice to see them use the D-line like I do. I was already splitting my D-line and funneling the running backs to the middle.

I'm on my third season in my franchise and had to let Wilson and Gold go because of monetary reasons. They went on to get 1 year contracts for 5 million on other teams. I was stuck with only mobley and it changed the whole way I played defense. I have to play a lot more zone coverage to try and close the gap with Gold and Wilson gone. I get a lot more INTs and sacks now though.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:33 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 18

That is the perfect word for this game, Nolefan. Discipline. You absolutely have to have that. If you notice that the computer back is constantly getting 250-500yds against you, then you are doing something wrong! The strategy elements in this game are outstanding.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »