Home

My thoughts on the ESPN - Madden debate of 2004.

This is a discussion on My thoughts on the ESPN - Madden debate of 2004. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2003, 11:26 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: My thoughts on the ESPN - Madden debate of 2004.

Quote:

Brassman said:
Lately, I've been playing one or two games of ESPN on my xbox every day. Call it an addiction but I just keep playing. Last year I passed on buying NFL2k3 for Madden 2003 and ended up playing Madden more than any game I've ever owned. This year I pre-ordered Madden 2004 but as coach only mode player I just can't get past the "sack bug" issue in this years Madden. EA's inability to quickly patch this problem has just given me more time to appreciate all the little things that this years ESPN Football does well. (like screen passes & trap plays that work, qb rollouts & gadget plays, half sacks & assists) Gameplay as well as quality comentary and presentation makes this game feel fresh compared to Madden. I still go back to Madden 2004 everyday, hoping that the problems will go away because I'm still a PC gamer at heart, but unless the long awaited patch fixes the major issues with gameplay I'll be playing ESPN more and more each day.

I love the "these are my first handful of posts, so let me take advantage of not having a reputation as someone who doesn't fit in, by bashing Madden football" types. Geez.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #26
Rookie

bgapfire's Arena

OVR: 2

Just thought I would add my $.02 to the debate. Here is an email I sent to Chris Buffa at Gamerfeed in reference to his Madden challenge:

I just got finished reading your take on Madden and must say I can agree and disagree with some of your points. I have been playing Madden since inception and will confess to being a Maddenite. With that being said, each year I look forward to the slew of incoming football games to compete with the Madden brand. For as long as I have been playing, a new game has to really capture the feel of football to force a change.

Graphics- Edge to ESPN.
You may disagree with the edge rating but I feel it holds serious water. ESPN looks beautiful. The player models are great. The stadiums have a feeling of depth and size. The colors are bright. The animations are sick. I can't take anything away from VC on this. Madden on the other hand looks great as well. Some say the players are smaller, but it is not by much. Artists have different visions and this is the main difference in the graphics. If you look at Madden's animations, they are SO fluid. They look as if they are actually running. ESPN players look as if they are running in place. Madden's animations look better (to me) because they are more fluid. If VC could make the animations more fluid, they would hold the undisputed animations belt. Let's take a look at the uniforms. ESPN's uniforms seem very bright. Too bright at times. Madden's color palette for the uniforms look spot on. The colors are richer in Madden and in my opinion look better. Also, the progressively dirty uniforms VC tried to incorporate in their game sucks!!! If you look at the uniforms as they get dirty, the stains are all in the same spots on every player. As much work as they put into the graphics, you would think they would be able to get this right. Madden's uniforms look great as they get progressively dirty and it is not the same pattern on every player. This is another area I would love to see them correct. It may seem nitpicky, but these are the things I look for and expect in these games. The technology is available and I would hate to settle for anything less. To the eye, VC does look better, but the little things make this closer than most people will agree.

Gameplay- edge Madden
Once again you may not agree. I rented ESPN this year and thoroughly enjoyed the game. This is the first year I can say that about a VC football game. Once again the little things stuck out to me. I played on all- pro with default settings and the backs are just too good!!! How many tackles will a back break in one game? Come on and be honest. These backs break too many tackles. It is unheard of. Playing on the defensive line still has its holes. I was never able to get a consistent rush on the QB. You say you can sit in the pocket all day in Madden and I could not disagree with you more. I feel as if I am a real QB taking 3-4 seconds to get the ball out of my hands to an open (hopefully) receiver. Teh pocket forms great and you have to step up and make accurate reads and big throws. This is the best Madden has ever been in this aspect. When I run the rock, I can actually see holes open and teammates blocking. I don't even feel the need to utilize the Playmaker option for blocking once I have the ball. Backs break tackles at credible rates in this game. Drops are on par with big hits or bad hands by a receiver. The one area that still needs an upgrade is the tackling. I would like to see better usage of gang tackling and fumbles because of gang tackling. The DB AI is great in Madden. They actually have better awareness and seem to know when to swat and when to intercept passes. These are just some of the reasons why I still play Madden.

I am not going to get into online play or too many extras. The only other feature worth mentioning is the franchise mode (not including owner mode). Madden is clearly superior when it comes to franchise play.

One last thing I will point out is that I am accustomed to the controller configuration of Madden after all of these years. yes, there is a level of comfort that is established after playing a game so long. People also allege that if you play Madden then you do not know football. This is so far from the truth. How do you explain all of the NFL players who love playing this game? I played HS and college football (DIII) and I have a pretty good understanding of football. People are going to play the game that is fun, comfortable and worth their money. Why convince yourself to play another game when you are enjoying the game you have?

Overall, both games are great and I feel ESPN has closed to a photo finish when speaking of the best game. Until VC is able to correct the little things I look for, I will continue to play Madden. Who knows, maybe Madden will increase the size and depth of their stadiums and player models. If that happens, how much longer will you be playing ESPN football?
Old 10-01-2003, 02:14 PM   #27
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Respondendo a:

jake44np said:
Respondendo a:

ftball11 said:
ESPN is by far the better game. Better presentation, graphics, gameplay. It (ESPN) falls short in some areas, but it is the most complete package on the shelf this year. Madden became too redundant for me, EA doesn't change much from year to year and you end up with the same game you played last year - with a few tweaks here and there. All the same problems from the last two title are still in this years game, which shows EA doesn't do much updating - they just rework and repackage the same game. Basically, I got tired of playing the same game year in and year out, so I tried ESPN this year and have not regretted it. ESPN does need some polishing, but overall, the problems are real minor and I can live with that.

You need to state espn is the better game in your opinion, you cant just say espn is the better game!

You need to state that it is your opinion that ftball11 should say "In my opinion".
You can't just say he needs to say in my opinion.

Besides, Mattell hand held football is by far, much better than any 2004 game. And that is a fact, not opinion.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:20 PM   #28
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

Besides, Mattell hand held football is by far, much better than any 2004 game. And that is a fact, not opinion.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #29
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

bgapfire said:
Just thought I would add my $.02 to the debate. Here is an email I sent to Chris Buffa at Gamerfeed in reference to his Madden challenge:

Until VC is able to correct the little things I look for, I will continue to play Madden. Who knows, maybe Madden will increase the size and depth of their stadiums and player models. If that happens, how much longer will you be playing ESPN football?

alot longer. For me to consider Madden next year, EA will have to not only expand those claustrophobic stadiums and revamp the legoland player models, but they will also have to give the dated gameplay engine a total overhaul, add a sh!tload of animations and play calling options, and totally redo the presentation. Either way I doubt they'll implement a new gameplay engine next year with PS3 right around the corner in 2k5.

VC will polish ESPN's gameplay even more (scary) , Improve graphics(scary), improve presenation (really scary), polish the off-field aspects and Significantly Deepen Franchise Mode (horrifying). When that happens next year...how much longer will you continue to play Madden?

Old 10-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #30
Rookie

bgapfire's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

bgapfire said:

Until VC is able to correct the little things I look for, I will continue to play Madden. Who knows, maybe Madden will increase the size and depth of their stadiums and player models. If that happens, how much longer will you be playing ESPN football?

alot longer. For me to consider Madden next year, EA will have to not only expand those claustrophobic stadiums and revamp the legoland player models, but they will also have to give the dated gameplay engine a total overhaul, add a sh!tload of animations and play calling options, and totally redo the presentation. Either way I doubt they'll implement a new gameplay engine next year with PS3 right around the corner in 2k5.

VC will polish ESPN's gameplay even more (scary) , Improve graphics(scary), improve presenation (really scary), polish the off-field aspects and Significantly Deepen Franchise Mode (horrifying). When that happens next year...how much longer will you continue to play Madden?

I hear ya. I guess we can agree to disagree. I do not feel there are glaring issues with Madden's gameplay. Other than the stadium and player models, it is a true enough representation of football for me. Also, ESPN's plays are no more detailed than Madden's (in my opinion). Needless to say if one game is pleasing to the eye and does what I need for it to do for me to enjoy the game, this will be the game in my XBOX. Right now, it just happens to be Madden. I am open enough to change if another developer can get me to change from Madden. It just has not happened yet.

Good day.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #31
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

bgapfire said:
Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

bgapfire said:

I hear ya. I guess we can agree to disagree. I do not feel there are glaring issues with Madden's gameplay. Other than the stadium and player models, it is a true enough representation of football for me. Also, ESPN's plays are no more detailed than Madden's (in my opinion). Needless to say if one game is pleasing to the eye and does what I need for it to do for me to enjoy the game, this will be the game in my XBOX. Right now, it just happens to be Madden. I am open enough to change if another developer can get me to change from Madden. It just has not happened yet.

Good day.

Your honesty is appreciated. Good day to you also
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #32
Banned

bigmark's Arena

OVR: 8

I don't want to get into too much detail, but I own both and prefer ESPN. I don't care about selling hot dogs and online play, or even franchise really. Just give me gameplay.

I just have two basic requirements: Make it fun, and make it feel like a realistic football game. Maybe this sounds stupid, but when I play Madden there are just way too many 28-14 and 35-21 scores. The reason is because almost every possession is a TD or turnover. When I'm playing ESPN, I actually pump my fist when I make a 40 yard FG in the 2nd Qtr to cut the cpu's lead to 7-3. In Madden I wouldn't know how that would feel because it's never happened. It also feels good to punt a ball out of bounds inside the 10 and go play defense. In Madden I almost feel guilty about punting on the 40 yard line because deep down, I know I could've made the first down but I'm still punting in order to give myself the illusion that I'm actually playing a semi-realistic game. In ESPN you just play like you would in real life - and that in turn makes the game more fun IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »