Home

Corey Dillon broke 42 tackles on me!!!!!

This is a discussion on Corey Dillon broke 42 tackles on me!!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2003, 02:09 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Corey Dillon broke 42 tackles on me!!!!!

I'm just responding... this is not an 'I know it all' etc. type of thread... because I simply don't.
Hopefully this thread will get back to a more civil tone where we can discuss how each of us plays differently, has different strengths and weaknesses, etc. and we can discuss how to better enjoy this game, rather than just hurl insults and get into a "Tastes Great!" - "Less Filling!"
(Side note: I still like having a beer and getting into this type of shouting match at a game though)

Off hand, I don't remember how many clicks I switched the sliders to (I'm not at my Xbox right now), but I know tackling is bumped up few (more than 5 but certainly not all the way), pursuit is only up a couple. (I don't want over pursuit)
I pre-game train for the run D more heavily if the opponent has a decent HB with greater than 80 Break Tackle and Strength (I think both play a role in breaking tackles) Also, if the last team burns me and gets lot's of yards in the last game, I know the CPU is more likely to try and run against me in the next game.

But... I neglected to note the following, because it's at least as important as the slider adjustments, if not more so:
Positioning of the defenders plays a bigger role in this game than I expected it to.

And I have learned to position my D as such:

- Move the CB's up to the line, thus they can come in and help much more quickly on run plays, and if you call bump and run a lot with a cover 2 formation, it helps with the passing D by denying a lot of short routes. Also the cover 2 gives your safties plenty of time to get to the HB and hit him before he gets too far if he breaks loose.

- Unless you have a OLB blitzing from the sides, keep them in standard formation behind the DE/DT. This way they get a much better tackling angle on the runner if he runs outside, and if they are covering the HB/FB and he goes up the middle, they are there to plug any possible holes.

- If expecting a run, Pinch, really clogs up the middle, forcing the runner to go outside, where the OLB will come in at a good angle, as well as the CB's will often get there at about the same time so that if the HB breaks the tackle of the OLB or the CB, the other guy usually finishes him off.

- If you call a 3/4 D, be sure to call a play to stuff the middle with bodies because if it's not a 'must' passing down, the CPU will often audible and call a running play once they see the 3/4.

- Putting LB's or the calling a formation with the Saftey up so you have 8 in the box is incredibly bad. I know it's how you stop the run in reality, but in this game, if the HB/FB breaks through a hole, you only have one saftey to stop him... which usually results in a long TD run.

- On the same note, calling a goaline D, and stacking the line on a 3rd and one (or inches) also leads to a lot of long CPU TD runs if their guy busts through the line anywhere. If your opponent isn't in your Red Zone, it's better to call the 4-3 and pinch and stuff the middle with the ILB, and push up the CB's up to the line. Also call a play where your OLB's will be covering the HB and FB. Both saftey's are usually free to stop any break away runs with this setup, thus negating any big Runs if things go badly. And in this game, it actually stops the short run about as often as does having a goal line D, with much less risk.

- Also of huge importance: Be sure to have a good selection of audibles on D, so that you can adjust to the offensive set up and/or it's audibles. Know who is the opponent's HB # so that you can make adjustments on D audibles, and position your D linemen accordingly. Also, if it's a strong-I or weak-I formation, most of the time the CPU will use the FB as a block and run on the side they are about to try and flood. Position your D accordingly.

I'm sure there is more, but it's all that I can think of right now, as I'm fairly tired and it's quite late.
There is always situational decisions to be made with your DT's and DE's as far as if they are set up wide or close, right or left... but that's a whole extended bucket of fish.
Just bumping up Tackle slider and good positioning of your D should help a lot.
Hopefully all of this will help someone else's enjoyment of the game as that is my intention for writing all of this.
To me, there is nothing more satisfying than calling the proper D, watching the CPU audible and I audible to counter, etc... watching the clock tick down as the CPU tries to adjust to my audible, etc. Sometimes the CPU simply has no time left and is stuck hiking the ball to a D that is just stacked waiting for it's play.
Your decisions really do make a difference in this game.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:24 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 5

i just played madden and espn steelers vs bengals and i had 6 carries for 69 yards and 6 broken tackles in madden in 1 quarter in ESPN in legend i had 5 carries for 7 yards amd 2 broken tackels on legend.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:08 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Thanks PT for the 'objective' research project!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:22 AM   #20
MVP

toychri's Arena

OVR: 8

I love this game but broken tackles is an issue, a game kiler? No. An annoyance, yes.

There, I said it. And I feel much better now.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:03 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 6

Well Primetime I played a game of ESPN on Legend difficulty, 7min Q, two nights ago using Arizona against Tampa Bay. I won 65-7 and Emmitt Smith had 48 broken tackles, 313yds, and 6TDs.

Now I'm not bashing ESPN because I very much enjoy the game. As I and many others have said before, there is no point arguing which game is better because it's all a matter of personal opinion. Since you're a die-hard ESPN fan, no one could make you think any different. Just like no one could convince someone who hated jazz how great Billie Holiday was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

BlackNGold said:
Well Primetime I played a game of ESPN on Legend difficulty, 7min Q, two nights ago using Arizona against Tampa Bay. I won 65-7 and Emmitt Smith had 48 broken tackles, 313yds, and 6TDs.

Now I'm not bashing ESPN because I very much enjoy the game. As I and many others have said before, there is no point arguing which game is better because it's all a matter of personal opinion. Since you're a die-hard ESPN fan, no one could make you think any different. Just like no one could convince someone who hated jazz how great Billie Holiday was.

well that's a game and a half with 7 minute quarters. I douhbt you were playing on legend because if you make one mistake on legend it's a TD for the CPU.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:41 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 20

Are you "charging up" your defender by press the A button before making the tackle? That sure helps.

Take care,
PK
Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 AM   #24
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

Also, keep in mind, a lot of the "defensive geniuses" aren't saying that you won't see broken tackles.

Most of what I do to stop that is to make sure I don't leave myself hanging...don't go in a ton of man to man where an RB can get isolated on a single LB, then have another 15 or 20 yards before a safety has a prayer of making the tackle. You'll see tons of broken tackles, but as for defensive ability, you need to call defenses that have a high containment percentage. It's tough for a lot of people to adjust to, but you don't want to call a defense that is one of those "bust a play up 3 yards in the backfield" plays...because if you guess wrong, or the RB breaks the initial tackle (almost a guaranteed thing on the first one), then he goes to the house, or gets to lay the wood on a corner or something.

While RB's WILL break tackles, it's not just a matter of hitting buttons, or one guy's fingers being faster than another guy's. A lot...and I mean A LOT...of it is in the playcalling. I will call a gameplan to force somebody to dink and dunk down the field and hope they make a mistake. I don't give up a ton of big plays for exactly that reason. I've never actually counted the broken tackles, but usually (and the people who play me on here can attest to this fact), I will have 2 or 3 defenders in the area of the ball carrier, ready to make a hit. Even the best RB's won't usually break 3 tackles within a second. It happens, but VERY rarely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »