Home

the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it

This is a discussion on the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
The Broski

MMan's Arena

OVR: 12
the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it

I've tried some of the tricks I've read on the boards.

Pressing Y right away after a bullet, or timing it a little bit.

Tried the black/white buttons.

Manual and CPU control, which don't matter because the CPU DB's still jump and TRY swat balls that aren't even close. They honestly swat away from the play sometimes, like they're waving to some chic in the stands away from the WR. This takes themself out of the play and the CPU takes it for the TD.

I've tried practice mode....coverage slider ALLL the way up, ALLL the way down. Zone, man, safety control. The DBs honestly seem to not be as risky with the coverage lower, but overall they can't cover as well.

I guess I'm reaching for one last hope. I don't know if there's some combination with sliders of coverage/pursuit/cpu qb/wr that I'm missing. I think 2 years ago we had to wack sliders to get the game right.

I would've thrown this in the sliders forum, but I don't think that's the only issue. Any advice would be great. I don't wany anyone getting defensive over this and trying to say this is all my fault.

The current sliders I use are

from All-Pro default
Human catching +5
Human coverage +3
CPU Blocking +5
CPU Running +10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it

What team are you using? DB AI seems okay to me for the most part, as long as I don't call any boneheaded plays. I play with Atlanta and Carolina. Are you sending heat to the QB? If he's got all day to throw some of his receivers are gonna get open.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it

Many of the plays are programmed to take D players out of the picture. They stop, slow down, loop, look in the stands – whatever. And different plays are programmed differently. In one, the right CB will always be out of position, and in another the left CB will screw up each time. I think the idea is to emulate “D human error” and to force human players to control their D, rather than let the CPU do it. Either way, a lot of it doesn’t work for me. This year, I noticed the punt coverage team guys looping around instead of heading straight for the punt returner. So I raised everybody’s Aggression and Consistency to between 70 and 95, and I don’t see that problem very much at all now. There’s an improvement on D for sure – certainly the D is a lot tougher to run against when Aggression is turned up, and even scrubs are making decent plays because Consistency is raised. This probably doesn’t help anyone who plays online, though.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
The Broski

MMan's Arena

Re: the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to cal

Quote:

GAMEC0CK2002 said:
What team are you using? DB AI seems okay to me for the most part, as long as I don't call any boneheaded plays. I play with Atlanta and Carolina. Are you sending heat to the QB? If he's got all day to throw some of his receivers are gonna get open.

I've had the issue with the Vikes, but I also have a fantasy draft team with a buddy... we got Surtain and Bailey at CB. Yes I'm sending heat...we have Udeze and Peppers on the outside, they don't have much time. Fast LB's. No BONEHEAD plays, legit coverage man. If nobody honestly notices this, I'm going to take some pics to show you what I mean.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

I used to play a lot of man coverage in 2K4 but that doesn't seem to work in 2K5. If you have a okay DB on one side and a good one on the other you'll need to give that okay DB some help. I was getting burned a lot when I first started playing 2K5 trying the man coverage. You need to get your safeties involved in your coverage more. If your DB is having trouble covering slants then have which ever safety is on that side cheat up. if they get burned on long passes then have your safety cheat over to the sideline so you'll end up with coverage below and above the receiver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
The Broski

MMan's Arena

bro I play a lot of zone...but I still mix it up. I control different players depending on the formation. I've played bump and run, off, in and out. It's just wierd how the AI reacts when the ball is thrown their way.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I've been playing exclusively with the Ravens(ME) against the Saints(CPU). THe game before last I finally put the clamps on Deuce MCcallister but Aaron Brooks went 20 for 26 for something like 315 yards and the Saints destroyed me 31-14. This last game I dominated Brooks but still lost 10-3. He was like 6 for 15 for 75 yards and 0 TD's.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:

MMan said:
It's just wierd how the AI reacts when the ball is thrown their way.

They’re reacting to the play you choose in some instances. Try this: I Pro, 50 All Go – the DB’s hang with the receivers: great. 50 TE Zone In – every other time, the one CB leaves his assignment and does this inside loop move toward the QB at the start of the play. And if he doesn’t loop at the beginning of the play, he stays with the receiver for several steps and then loops into the middle just before you release the ball. In both cases he’s anticipating the pick! Interestingly, he doesn’t loop into the middle at all when the receiver’s streaking straight toward the end zone. I know of several plays where I can get the CB to lunge for the pick, causing him to dive and roll onto the ground, taking him completely out of the play. And the guy’s pretty much starting his dive before I’ve even though about releasing the ball. Likewise, a number of long passes include DB’s slowing down to a stand still, setting themselves up for the easy pick – like it’s pitch and catch out there or something – while my receiver streaks by and grabs the pass several yards behind Mr. Soon-to-be-benched.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »