Home

the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it

This is a discussion on the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to cal

Quote:

baa7 said:
Quote:

penguit said:
Regardless, CB AI IS ATROCIOUS. This stuff doesn't happen to just a few, it happens all the time, to everyone. Maybe everyone doesn't notice the bad AI, but it's there. It's not just, "doh, he should have been quicker" it's "that's ********, he wouldn't do that 7 out of 10 plays... come on."

That's three out of a hundred now... Hey, there's NOTHING stupid about a cornerback looping up and back and around the wrong way and getting ten yards out of position, then copping a look or two at the cheerleaders before finally heading down field to see if the receiver’s still somewhere in the general vicinity. Happens all the time in the NFL.

Make it 4. I was complaining about the DB AI to my online opponent last nite. He was making some ridiculous catches while covered. Half of the time my DB's didn't even make an attempted to play the ball.

Even on offense, I had one of my receivers going over the middle and for some reason he broke off the route and the pass went for an INT.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 21

I know there are those wo want to manually control your men to make a play on the ball. I think most of us want that. As it stands in both Madden and ESPN that can be frustrating to certain extents. Mainly due to momentum. Your men are there they are facing the wrong way, you want to turn them around to make a play but they dont. They either move too slow, or jump the wrong way.

At least in the ESPN game you have a choice to make. If you see that you are not gonna be able to make a play manually, just press Y and if you have timed it right your men will go after the ball properly. I think its a good trade off till we get systems in place in these games that allow you to play DB manually without feeling like you have no control.

I cant wait for them to fix the online issues so I can play you guys online. Playing people is way differnet than playing against the CPU. I am at the moment giving the CPU good games on default legend. I need to play many people now to improve on that.

MMan, dont give up, just practice. It WILL come to you.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:07 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

Moegames said:
Man i dont see the issue here..yes i see DB's "when controlled by cpu" take some wrong routes,etc but thats no diffrent in REAL NFL GAMES..it happens, humans are humans and they make mistakes and i think VC tried to capture this in their videogame....whats wrong with that? Stop the nit picking lol.

Also pull up your cb, ss and fs for tighter coverage..it works wonders.

Again, it's the reaction not the routes or coverages.

A side note. Put your DBs in tighter coverages with me and I will make you pay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 03:37 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

MMan said:
Quote:

sportsgeist said:
Have you tried waiting for the offensive formation and personell box to show up? What I do is if they have 2 receivers I play mostly 4-3 and sometimes Nickel depending on how far they need to go. If they have 3 receivers I play Nickel mostly and some Dime. 4 receivers is straight up Dime. On longer pass plays try and find a coverage where the zones are near the firstdown that way when they pass your players can either stop the receiver from making the firstdown or be in position for a INT or knock the pass down. The short passes are hard to stop but if you can get them into 2nd or 3rd and long try using the zones near the firstdown like I said.

dude cmon.. of course

Hey I had to ask and actually I was having issues with the passing game until I started doing this. In 2K4 you didn't have to use it so much.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #37
Banned

I guess, I am the only person loving the db ai. Sometimes, I see the circle around back to the wr move also but it doesnt really affect my pass d. I use alot of zones and man/zones. I try to mix it up with both human and cpu. My first game I played was on all-pro against the rams. I came away with 4 picks in that game. In my online games I avg. close to 3 pics a game and take away teams top wide outs. I am not saying there isnt any db ai flaws but I shut down most passing offenses I face online and against the cpu.

Oh yeah, I play with the cowboys and hunter suck. I give him alot of help.

My xbox tag is grunt007. Download my vip and check it out.

Peace
Old 07-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #38
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

grunt said:
I guess, I am the only person loving the db ai. Sometimes, I see the circle around back to the wr move also but it doesnt really affect my pass d.

I think the circle around the back of the wr issue may be due to the lack of a breadown animation or some transitional animation for the dbs...an anim from which they could make a break on the ball. But without that anim they have to ice skate to get back into position which by then its to late.

Overall I think the AI is good but perhaps the dbs are hindered a bit by the lack of an animation that would negate the need for them to circle around wrs.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

grunt said:
I guess, I am the only person loving the db ai. Sometimes, I see the circle around back to the wr move also but it doesnt really affect my pass d.

I think the circle around the back of the wr issue may be due to the lack of a breadown animation or some transitional animation for the dbs...an anim from which they could make a break on the ball. But without that anim they have to ice skate to get back into position which by then its to late.

Overall I think the AI is good but perhaps the dbs are hindered a bit by the lack of an animation that would negate the need for them to circle around wrs.

Hope we can get the correct break down next year but I am having great x and o's on and offline playing defense.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:16 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

I see real NFL defensive backs get turned around all the time. I also see real NFL defensive backs slowing down (or, think about this, it might be the second gear that the WR is going into). That breakaway speed that makes it look like the DB is slowing down.

Basically the DB AI is fine for me. At least when compared to previous Madden versions..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »