Home

the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it

This is a discussion on the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to cal

It's such a good game, ALMOST. It's a great simulation, ALMOST.

There are just too many glaring things that stop this game from being a true simulation. Every year I buy the NFL2k series, waiting for the AI to catch up to the presentation, for the stats to be simmed right, and for everything to be where it needs to be. Every year I'm disappointed. I can't stand Madden, and refuse to play it because it's the same game it was 16 years ago.

Regardless, CB AI IS ATROCIOUS. This stuff doesn't happen to just a few, it happens all the time, to everyone. Maybe everyone doesn't notice the bad AI, but it's there. It's not just, "doh, he should have been quicker" it's "that's ********, he wouldn't do that 7 out of 10 plays... come on."

There's nothing you can do. I've adjusted sliders, difficulty, you name it. It won't work. it's something you either accept and play the game, or get rid of it and play NCAA.

What scares me is it's not even close to football time, and I'm already ready to put ESPN down. That's not good... not good at all.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:07 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:

penguit said:
Regardless, CB AI IS ATROCIOUS. This stuff doesn't happen to just a few, it happens all the time, to everyone. Maybe everyone doesn't notice the bad AI, but it's there. It's not just, "doh, he should have been quicker" it's "that's ********, he wouldn't do that 7 out of 10 plays... come on."

That's three out of a hundred now... Hey, there's NOTHING stupid about a cornerback looping up and back and around the wrong way and getting ten yards out of position, then copping a look or two at the cheerleaders before finally heading down field to see if the receiver’s still somewhere in the general vicinity. Happens all the time in the NFL.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:

I would venture to say the 90 people that haven't seen this problem aren't good enough or know enough about football to notice it...

1. I havent had the problem.
2. I think it's more of human error than anything...soooooo ummm......you do the math on that one.
3. Go play a game in Coach Mode, and I bet you wont see the problem (hence what I said in number 2.)
Old 07-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
The Broski

MMan's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

blackceasar said:
Quote:

I would venture to say the 90 people that haven't seen this problem aren't good enough or know enough about football to notice it...

2. I think it's more of human error than anything...soooooo ummm......you do the math on that one.
3. Go play a game in Coach Mode, and I bet you wont see the problem (hence what I said in number 2.)

is this a joke?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #21
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

There is certainly some wierd actions performed by the DB's in this game. I think the inclusion of momentum( ) in this years title is what leads to some of the coverage problems by the db's. Last year the db's were able to make up ground on a misplayed opponent because they rarely suffered a severe loss of speed/momentum. In 2k5 though, the db's aren't always able to make plays on the ball when they find themselves out of position. They sometimes come out of their back peddaling position to late and they can't make cuts on the ball as quickly as they did in 2k4.

I went into the Basic Training mode and did the defending the pass drill numerous times. In doing this you see how hard it is to back peddal on a receiver, stop, and then make a break on the ball. In that drill the receiver's route is laid out so I know where he is going before hand-I could of course ignore the WR run to the spot and try to pick it off, but nothing is learned that way. It seems more that this year defending the pass is more about anticipation than it is reaction. I am certainly no expert on defending the pass as I'm trying to learn the new system as well. Luckily I have a friend who I can go into scrimmage mode and practice defending the pass with.

I think maybe VC instituted an improved model of last years DB logic but didn't fully address how the momentum would affect that model. IMO. Thoughts?

P.S. I still love this game and most of my gaming is multiplayer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 01:40 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

MMan said:
Quote:

blackceasar said:
Quote:

is this a joke?

MMan, if it's any consulation I do know what you're talking about. There were many instances where Ed Reed was in position but took two steps forward to swat the ball but came up miserably short. It has happened as well on the corners where they are in position but move out the way to swat the ball. It seems to happen to me only when in zone coverage. Taking control of the player, as you have said, doesn't address it either.

Oh well. All I can do is report it in hopes that VC will take a look.

If/When I do post an issue from now on I just ignore the ignorant ones in denial of anything remotely being an issue.

We just want it better right?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 14

What speed are you playing on, I play on fast and although I see my cornerbacks blow plays at times, its not to the extent that It kills the game for me. The faster the speed you play on the less time you cornerbacks have time to do stupid things. It seems as though the plays maybe taking too long to develop so the ai just dances around not knowing what to do.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 15

I've mainly been playing online and the DB AI is not as good as 2k4, especially on the LEGEND level.
To make matters worse if u like to control the safeties (like i do) it's really a struggle to stop the pass! If you are having trouble with the CPU stopping the pass, let me tell u it is 10 times harder in multiplayer.

If u read Tombsong's post on this issue u would get alot of tips on improving your pass defense. HOWEVER, the strategy he posted although very effective, as it stands is predicated PRIMARILY on getting pressure manually on the QB from the d-lineman position! His method is not NEARLY as effective if u prefer to control safeties during the play like i do. I use the Bucs online and unlike last year in 2k4, Booger Mcfarlane & Simeon Rice for the most part must be controlled by the user in order to get pressure on the QB otherwise, u will be lucky to hear their names called on passing plays.

I've come to the conclusion that for THIS year i'm going to have to learn how to control d-lineman and use the various moves that they have in order to get pressure on the QB and cause him to make quick reads. So I have been practicing and no matter how uncomfortable it is for ME, it's apparent this is the only way to be effective in pass defense in 2k5 because the DB's don't hold there zones properly and if u try to manually control them u r very limited this year. Last Year I could rush 4 lineman control the safeties and call the appropriate play, this year if u call the approriate play and don't get any pressure u r SCREWED more than likely....

I'm speaking strictly multiplayer, as far single player goes SLIDERS help alot and I can't wait for the roster downloads so i can start my season

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »