Home

the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it

This is a discussion on the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to call it within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: the DB AI is killing the game for me...a 3 year fan.. about to cal

Yeah I somewhat agree to what MMan is saying. I am pretty new to the whole NFL2KX series, but still I play on all-pro with the CPU sliders for coverage set to the max and they are just plain dumb. I have won 7 out of 7 games in my franchise now all of them by more than 20 points. Whenever I am in trouble I just start passing the ball a lot and in every second play or so the DB coverage [censored] up and I can get a first down or a long yardage gain..... hmmmm
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #42
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

RaidersBaby said:
I see real NFL defensive backs get turned around all the time. I also see real NFL defensive backs slowing down (or, think about this, it might be the second gear that the WR is going into). That breakaway speed that makes it look like the DB is slowing down.

Basically the DB AI is fine for me. At least when compared to previous Madden versions..

Agreed I was just thinking the same thing the other night watching a game on the NFL network.

Exactly as in 2k5, a REAL live DB slowed down and spun around looking for the ball only to get burned by 6 yards.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #43
Rookie

I think the question is more to do with who is playing offense and who is playing defense. In the NFL, if a superstar receiver (Owens, Moss, Harrison, etc.) are going one-on-one against anybody, they will win the majority of the time, even against the best cornerbacks. Occasionaly you will see a star receiver shutdown by one CB, but it is rare and not often. A team's best receiver usually has to have help from the LB or safeties.

Now if you are getting burned by a team's 2nd or third receiver and there are three guys around, then that is bad AI from the DBs. But I see this rarely. You really need to play smart in this game, or they will murder you.

I was playing against Dallas, and Quincy Carter was killing me. The reason was that Julius Jones broke a big run and I started to play more man coverage and they were killing me (I was the Vikes). They when I started to play zone, they started to run more. I was so lost on play calling that they routed me.

To me, the key is stop the running game, and then just play back. If you do, the other team has a hard time making a lot of passes. Sure they get the occasional long ball (most football videogames are slanted towards offense don't forget), but that is just videogame football. I know Madden is going to emphasize D more this year, but this is still an offense geared sport. Most people who play videogames, don't want scores like 10-7, so the offense gets a little bit of a boost. But if you play smart, you can win games 17-14.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:

RaidersBaby said:
I see real NFL defensive backs get turned around all the time. I also see real NFL defensive backs slowing down (or, think about this, it might be the second gear that the WR is going into). That breakaway speed that makes it look like the DB is slowing down.

Basically the DB AI is fine for me. At least when compared to previous Madden versions..

I am not going to compare this with other football games but this debate on DB ai is really hard. Some folks blitz often and leave their corners on an island. The longest pass play online has been under 25 yards. I play really conservative and try to make the offense take as many plays as possible. I blitz but from cover 2 and cover 3. I try to get sacks from my front 4 and make the qb make correct reads. I usually blitz out of the cover 1 with the slot db blitzing but not back to back. Hope someone take me up on my offer and download my VIP.

Peace
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #45
Rookie

This thread sounds strangely like the "Cant stop the Run" threads from a year ago where people wanted to say its not the game, its the person controlling it. Then, this problem will be on everyone's wish list for next year. "1. Make the DBs go for the pick less and the tackle more." I have seen this issue, and they are ways to work around it, just like the run last year. But sometimes its just annoying. DBs dont got for picks in the NFL as much as they do in this game. But hey, its all good. This is still the best football game I have ever played. I just wish I didnt have this feeling that VC did it again...The fixed something only to make something else worse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 04:36 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:

grunt said:
Quote:

RaidersBaby said:

Some folks blitz often and leave their corners on an island.

I think the issue most people are having with this is...In the NFL when a CB knows he is on an island, he more than likey will not go for the pick because the risk is not worth the reward.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #47
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

Problem Solved
Old 07-28-2004, 04:40 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

MartinDihigo said:
Problem Solved

Nope.

Has nothing to do with computer controlled reactions when they are in perfect position to make the play. It gets worse when you control the guy.

Sorry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »