Home

Tired of CPU Ints? Here is the solution...

This is a discussion on Tired of CPU Ints? Here is the solution... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Tired of CPU Ints? Here is the solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
After twenty hours of player editing and many more hours of coach mode play, that's the conclusion I'm coming to as well. I started playing 2K4 again last night because I just can't take the 2-3 interceptions a quarter, along with having to raise QB Accuracy and WR Catch to 95 (and still getting dropped balls).
I am not sure I agree...I am seeing games with an average of 2-4 per game...and the playbooks are abit pass happy anyway..so more attempts than in real life probably. Again, this is in cpu vs cpu games after editing and the sliders I use.

C
Old 08-07-2004, 01:32 PM   #58
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

I've been doing some testing on my own in regards to this particular editing of rosters and it is somewhat frustrating say the least, so after not really feeling comfratable with it I've decided to take a differemt approach and pick a team that I knew would play out somewhat at a high level.

I chose to go with the AFC vs NFC game using my own sliders, Now with two know teams on a pretty even playing field I should be able to tell where the thresh holds are as far as what player range I should be targeting if there going to be an edit.

I can see capas point now and it makes the only rational and logical solution to this issue, what I'm at odds with is that thresh hold.

I'm trying to keep it as local as possible and focus on maybe two or three points...the no.1 QB's pass read coverage...no.2 the DB's coverage and the third I'm not 100% positive on yet but I'm suspecting the Aggresiveness attribute.

I chose these three first off because of their definitions, it seems to be a matter of picking and possibly editing these combination of attributes to balance and offset the games already tight defense which I believe is the Hard Code program itself since.

The games original focus was to be more challeging in this years more improved defense thus presenting itself as being more aggressive and alert. Pehaps if a way was found to make the CPU players less dominate and effective on the defensive side of the ball by toneing down the aggresivness a bit it would help to reduce its defensive overall awareness.

Capas on to something here but I'd rather see a more universal adjustment focused on maybe one or two attributes with a boundary as to where to start and end a reduction.

I'm going to observe the Pro bowl players to get a feel for what they do and how they re-act when playing other players with talents and abilitys to challenge them. It would help if others would use a team based like the Pro Bowlers to see how they re-act and what changes are made if any.

This way we're all using the same roster and know what to expect from certain players all together and can post our findings using the same roster.

Holla Back ya'll
Old 08-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #59
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

Keep us posted on your progress. Despite my editing attempts, I am still saying way too many INT's for my liking. It has reduced it some, but I still see on average 4-6 per game total.

The frustrating thing is that the rest of the game is beautiful, but the INT thing is a gamebreaker for me if I can't get it under control.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM   #60
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

I just finished watching them play Pro Bowlers and I did'nt notice anything too much out of the ordinary, however I read back up on the interview with Shawn Lee at NFL 2K5 and it seems that the fatigue slider has a lot to do with it in a big way.

I'm experimenting with it turned up to 12 to see what happens, in the first game using my sliders the gameplay was pretty smooth and running looked good and QB's didn't throw too many picks in the latter parts of the game things started getting sloppy, I believe they were too tired and play'd like I said sloppy as in missed blocks, Blown coverages, DB's out of position, the 1st Quarter was interception free, looks promising so far but could be better, I'm seeing the ground game really step up.

Holla Back ya'll
Old 08-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 8

all u have to do is not throw bullets when u see a zone defense or throw 40 yard lobs into double coverage or throw to the opposite side of the field. Yes I throw picks but nowhere near 3 a game. Prolly about 2 every 3 games and sometimes I have real bad games and throw 5 lol, but thats from dumb passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2004, 06:27 PM   #62
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubdiggity
all u have to do is not throw bullets when u see a zone defense or throw 40 yard lobs into double coverage or throw to the opposite side of the field. Yes I throw picks but nowhere near 3 a game. Prolly about 2 every 3 games and sometimes I have real bad games and throw 5 lol, but thats from dumb passes.
What's up with reading comprehension on these boards? Does anybody read the entire message before replying anymore? The problem is with the CPU throwing all the INT's not the user. Of course if it was the user's fault it would be as easy as just playing smarter. Ughhh.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #63
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

Good observation there dude, By now its a know fact that the Int's are a gameplay issue not the users and I believe the game was programed like that on purpose in order to make it more defensively aggressive which in reality it is and keeping in line with VC's strategy to be more challeging on the defensive side.

Holla Back ya'll
Old 08-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #64
Pro

Ok so after editing all the QB's accuracy and pass read ratings into the 90's and all the defensive coverage and catch ratings down by half of whatever their original ratings were, I still see the same type of play, not as often but it's hard to say. The worst part of it though is that by adjusting everyone's ratings, you will get inflated simmed stats around the league, which in my opinion is worse than the original INT problem. All the scores around the league are consistently around the 30's and 40's. Some in the 50's and one I saw was like 52-61... I simmed the rest of the year and all the QB's had pass rating well into the 100's and 6000 yards passing. Top INT guy for the year had 4. So editing these ratings definitely is not the answer.

My last theory to solve this is playing with the QB's stamina rating. I'm thinking that since in my slider settings, I have it set to zero, that by raising all the QB's stamina they won't be tired all the time and thus making bad throws, reads, etc.. I still want to keep the stamina slider low because everything else in the game is pretty realistic as to how often people are being swapped and so on. I noticed Culpepper has a stamina of 50 and most QB's in the league are lower. So I'm thinking since you never swap out your QB anyhow, this is one rating that shouldn't affect simmed stats as much and yet also bring more realistic play from them within the game.

The search continues! I'll let you all know how it goes in the next few days.

--edit--
Just for clarification, I like to keep the swap in/out settings at around default (85/30) because that's what the CPU is using and it wouldn't make sense for me to be swapping 2 or 3 times as often as them. Having my 3rd stringers up against their 1st stringers isn't all that desirable.

Also, For short yardage plays, I have Moe Williams in as RB instead of Bennett since that's how it really is and also counts as an automatic swap out so carry numbers don't get inflated as well.

Last edited by Sleeper; 08-07-2004 at 07:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »