Home

Draft Fix #9

This is a discussion on Draft Fix #9 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2004, 02:03 AM   #25
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Draft Fix #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
My name is not Dohanyhoo!!:-) Here’s what I did and the results: I make offers for my team, go to Targets and advance a day or two. If there’s no immediate response I sweeten the offer, and when I do that the guy will usually bite the next day. After I sign my guys, I exit FA signings saying “I don’t want to sign any FA’s” and the game finishes the 45 day period without signing FA’s for the other teams.

Then after the draft and signing my picks, I switch to “Auto” everything and the CPU signs its picks and orders depth charts. It’s then it will also sign FA’s, because teams can’t go into the season without a working roster. Whenever I’ve checked rosters at this point, the big name FA’s that didn’t get signed during the 45 day period are all with teams. Maybe this screws things up down the line somehow – salaries and team cap – I don’t know. I’m not a big fan of the money stuff, so I don’t analyze all that very closely.
DohAnyhoo! Its a fine name for a girl or a boy!

Thanks for responding. Good to see there is a way to sign free agents for your team without being responsible for the other 31. The one thing you miss out on by doing this though is the bidding wars. Its very possible that you're getting free agents for less than you would've paid if other teams were jacking up the price. In some cases, you may have not signed them at all.

Haven't decided yet whether I'll undertake playing NFL God at some point. Right now my Jags are making a run for the playoffs at 7-4 after winning 4 straight in a franchise where they are the only team I control. It may be time to say goodbye to All-Pro & hit the slider thread! Or maybe not, considering I haven't managed to do anything with the right stick other than make my RB dance a jig! I fear right-stick jukes are just beyond my capabilities...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2004, 02:17 AM   #26
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinthar
Does anyone know the avg. # of QB's, HB's, T's, & DE's taken in the first round of the draft in any given year? That could help tweak these rules.
In the 2004 NFL Draft, only 12 of the 32 1st round selections were at positions QB, HB, DE, and OT, including a mere 3 of the first 10 picks. In the 2002 and 2003 NFL Drafts, only 28 of the 64 total 1st round selections were at these positions.

So for the last 3 drafts, QB, HB, DE, and OT made up just 41.7% of the first round selections. Not quite the same as the 100% figure that I found after simming 5 consecutive seasons/drafts in NFL2k5!

Want more info? Check out http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/drafts.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:03 AM   #27
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi
Let me tell you, this is not a fix.
I have recently attempted to conduct the off-season only controlling 7 teams and it is brutally tedious. Now, I draft for all seven, but this was horrible, especially because the 3rd and 4th best WRs in the draft were still available in Rd4. Drafting for all 31 would be an experience i would not wish upon even the designers of this poor franchise set-up.
This game is stellar, but if you were raised on Madden's chise, as I have been for the past 2-3 years (they had it down pretty well in 02) and really enjoy this part of the game, it is a killer.
I wouldn't be too da** sure about Madden's Draft bein' stellar, Peep this:
" And with the 1st overall pick, The Bungles choose Matt Lienhart?? QB from the
University of Southern Cal". Now, didn't they just draft a QB from... USC by the name of...Carson Palmer??
:y4:
Old 08-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
I wouldn't be too da** sure about Madden's Draft bein' stellar, Peep this:
" And with the 1st overall pick, The Bungles choose Matt Lienhart?? QB from the
University of Southern Cal". Now, didn't they just draft a QB from... USC by the name of...Carson Palmer??
:y4:
Maybe the game's AI is so smart that it knows that the Bengals have a fixation with USC QB's and it's another brilliant madden move...errrr probably not
Old 08-11-2004, 02:40 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbprice20
controlling all teams will solve any 'trading problem' but you need to accept that no trades can happen at all.

your idea of drafting for everyone in the first three rounds and letting the rest be computer picked is flawed isn't it? that would mean the computer picks for your team, right?

signing draft picks for your team and then letting the computer take over for the rest of the teams is pretty painless but free agent signings turn into a nightmare. you can't just sign guys you want and then let the computer take over for the other teams because the computer will make pickups for your team as well. now, i guess you can just fill up your roster with scrubs and sign them with no signing bonus and therfore no penalty for cutting them once you took control again.

in-season roster management becomes really cumbersome because you can either allow the computer to sign fa's and adjust depth charts due to injury, you can do it all yourself, or you can kinda flip, flop between control but i bet if your roster isn't full that the computer will do some strange things to your roster regardless.
Me, I’m not a big trade person anyway. (Cheap way out of that one!)

The CPU picking for my team is like that **** owner who won’t keep his nose out of the locker room.

I think what I was seeing was: if you have X number of players already signed in each position, the CPU will not sign any FA’s to your team when you switch to Auto mode.

And: during the year, certain teams cannot continue unless adjustments are made to their roster. With User mode on I’m warned that, say, the Colt’s roster needs attention in order to play their game that week. I switch to Auto Sign and Cut, and the team is magically fixed and ready to rumble… and as far as I know the CPU doesn’t (hasn’t yet) sign any unwanted FA’s players to my team. The Auto Order Depth Chart is another a matter, and maybe I’ll look at that.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:51 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmus
DohAnyhoo! Its a fine name for a girl or a boy!

It may be time to say goodbye to All-Pro & hit the slider thread!

I fear right-stick jukes are just beyond my capabilities...
I'm not from this planet, so yes... I'm offended:-)

I'm also working on a second roster where I'm editing very few ratings, hoping to run a season using just slider adjustments.

Just do what I do on my Xbox controller... xxxxxY!
Old 08-11-2004, 03:20 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmus
The one thing you miss out on by doing this though is the bidding wars. Its very possible that you're getting free agents for less than you would've paid if other teams were jacking up the price. In some cases, you may have not signed them at all.
I knew I forgot something. I was aware that some might/do consider this an issue. Again, I live in/am from my own little world, and in my virtual mind, every FA that I sign, WANTS to be on my team. Wont even look at another offer. Like Sapp, absolutely wanting to be a... Raider, or Garcia, absolutely wanting to sign with the Bucs and nobody else except maybe whoever was eventually willing to sign him.

Last edited by baa7; 08-11-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2
Post Re: Draft Fix #9

Personally it doesn't matter to me who the cpu drafts. I will draft according to "MY" needs. They will fix the franchise bug or whatever u want to call it hopefully next year. If not, I will enjoy the game for what it gives me. I agree u shouldn't have to make all of these crazy adjustments just to make the game work right but if people choose to, more power to em. Have fun! For me, it's a non issue. Look at it this way, once they get the gameplay tweaked juuuuuuust right, watch out for the franchise to blow up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »