Home

Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

This is a discussion on Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

does the CPU ever run for average on any of you guys? i tried these out for 3 games and although the games were good, the CPU cant run on me...and im using the packers whos run D is weak. Stephen Davis ran for 83 yards on 18 carries, but this was with a 42 yard run so the rest of the time he was averaging like 2 per carry, then i played Indy and Edgerrin ran for 50 on 15 carries, and then Bennett of the vikes ran for 95 on me on 17 carries but with 2 runs of around 30 yards each for TDs...also, i find that I can run too easily on the CPU and i think pursuit for CPU needs to go up to about 15, in those 3 games i averaged 7.2 (vs CAR) 5.8 (vs MIN) and 6.4 vs IND per carry
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2004, 11:30 PM   #66
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikWitIt
which game speed are you using bill ?
Normal. 8 minute quarters. I think my subs are 60/85, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:35 PM   #67
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06
does the CPU ever run for average on any of you guys? i tried these out for 3 games and although the games were good, the CPU cant run on me...and im using the packers whos run D is weak. Stephen Davis ran for 83 yards on 18 carries, but this was with a 42 yard run so the rest of the time he was averaging like 2 per carry, then i played Indy and Edgerrin ran for 50 on 15 carries, and then Bennett of the vikes ran for 95 on me on 17 carries but with 2 runs of around 30 yards each for TDs...also, i find that I can run too easily on the CPU and i think pursuit for CPU needs to go up to about 15, in those 3 games i averaged 7.2 (vs CAR) 5.8 (vs MIN) and 6.4 vs IND per carry
Mike, the one thing I really don't like about this game is that you can sit back in a zone without getting pounded too badly by the run. I don't think that backs getting one or two big carries is that unrealistic--I see that on Sunday on all the time--but I'd like to get hammered by the run more often.

Pursuit on 15 will cut down on the run, but you'll also be giving the CPU a speed cheat that will probably be noticeable. Just be aware that you'll probably never see a receiver in open space that won't get run down (that's definitely true at 20 and almost always true at 15, at least in my experience). One thing about your running, though--you're using one of the best backs in the league, and the defensive scheme is going to have a significant impact. It might be worth playing a few more games to see how it plays out.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:50 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 2

Bill, when you say you never run a true man coverage, do you mean a man-on-man with the two spare guys blitzing? I try to run a lot of Bear Man 1 on 1st down but i think i got burned for 3 50+ yard runs by Fred Taylor using that play....it was usually a toss to the weak side with no WR's and Izell Reese couldn't make the tackle....are you saying you always run zone defenses or just that you always have multiple safeties deep....( i was the bills by the way, lost 41-24 and i consider myself a solid player)
Old 10-01-2004, 04:06 AM   #69
Rookie

oh and i don't know if it's just because of the longer quarters or what, but the CPU linebackers get so many tackles....Napoleon Harris had 16 tackles my last game...i ran the ball 40 times and i have to guess that's most of his tackles.....one player getting 40% of the stops in the ground game...i duno
Old 10-01-2004, 02:18 PM   #70
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondock
Bill, when you say you never run a true man coverage, do you mean a man-on-man with the two spare guys blitzing? I try to run a lot of Bear Man 1 on 1st down but i think i got burned for 3 50+ yard runs by Fred Taylor using that play....it was usually a toss to the weak side with no WR's and Izell Reese couldn't make the tackle....are you saying you always run zone defenses or just that you always have multiple safeties deep....( i was the bills by the way, lost 41-24 and i consider myself a solid player)
Sorry, what I said wasn't very clear. If the CPU offense has a formation with zero or one wide receivers, I'll occasionally run a Bear defense, but I'll still have a deep safety in zone. If they show two WR or more, though, I'll always have two safeties in zone coverage. I play some man coverage underneath (corner 2), but never pure man. And I make having strong safeties a priority in terms of my overall team talent.

I didn't even realize it until you mentioned blitzing, but I don't blitz much. I figure with a neutral defensive call I've got a better chance of sacking the QB or forcing a loss than they do hitting a big play, so I'm willing to be patient and wait for them to make a mistake.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris44
I didn't even realize it until you mentioned blitzing, but I don't blitz much. I figure with a neutral defensive call I've got a better chance of sacking the QB or forcing a loss than they do hitting a big play, so I'm willing to be patient and wait for them to make a mistake.
This is a great defensive strategy for any team that has a weak secondary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #72
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by julfpenet
This is a great defensive strategy for any team that has a weak secondary.
Also I just want to add that the bear defense is an all or nothing kind of run defense. Its great for stuffing the run, but if the hb bursts through that hole and gets into the secondary then its cya later touchdown...so you have to be careful with this because of only the 1 safety in the secondary.

Also I am a big franchise guy and love playing my franchises and i get really in-depth with them too. I use bill's house rules which are definitly a must if you are a serious franchise person, and another house rule that i use that I wanted to mention is this...

because of the cpu drafting issues(only selects rb,qb,de,or T in 1st round) I decided that I myself will do the same, and in the first round I can only draft one of those positions to make it fair...this prevents you from easily snagging a top 5 player in the draft at another position when the cpu is disadvantaged. And then I think of the 2nd round just as like a 2nd first round really because most picks in that round are first round quality players.

well just wanted to share. btw thanx bill for the great sliders and house rules!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »