Home

Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

This is a discussion on Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #41

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp73
it's always fun to explore new schemes in NCAA
how would you describe your offensive scheme at Tulane?
will that scheme translate to LSU with the current talent?
I would describe my scheme at Tulane as West Coast style but versatile. High-percentage passes, a lot of screens and passes to RBs, but also balanced. Think Sean Payton/New Orleans Saints.

I will probably utilize a similar philosophy with the Tigers, but I am going through several different options right now, one of which is to simply keep the same playbook I had in my final seasons at Tulane - Ole Miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
Recruiting wise, Rodgers is a huge get. He should factor into the lineup on day one, as Johnson does not look ready for Saturdays unfortunately. Mason should be the key to respectability in year one, but the talent level on the offensive side of the ball is pretty dire right now. That said, it's not much better defensively, with the linebacker corps looking particularly barren, yikes. Geezy will definitely have the opportunity to build the team in his image once he starts bringing some recruits in, but it could be a tough couple of years to fight through before some real championship talk can finally start setting in to Baton Rouge.

I like the defensive coordinator talk with the scheme possibilities. I definitely have to do a better job in my own dynasty of factoring in the coordinators' preferred schemes to add a little more realism. What do things look like scheme wise offensively?

Also, it'll be interesting to see how McBride does in his NFL audition season without Geezy at the helm!
I'm afraid you may be right in that this could take a season or two to get the roster fixed. While I do think the roster will look a lot better once a few of those low 70s guys advance into the 80s via progression, there are still enough problem areas that are likely to hold us back in the early going.

I'm really anxious to advance through the off-season recruiting to see if we can nab another stud or 3, because we surely need them. As you'll see in a moment, through two weeks of off-season recruiting, we have a few good players interested in coming to Baton Rouge that could potentially help right away.

As for offensive scheme, as mentioned above, I don't see myself deviating from my past play style too much, however, with Rob Mason, I certainly envision utilizing a lot more QB runs than I have in the past, both with designed runs as well as with planned scrambles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese2121
I like the thought to bring in DeJean for a couple of reasons. The 4-2-5 defense would be something new and unique for you while also allowing you to mask your weakness at the linebacker position to some extent. Secondly, I think it will be good for Geezy to surround himself with familiar faces and bring in some of his former players.

I will be curious also to see how the Tulane coaching staff plays out and if that changes their schemes any.
You read my mind with the 4-2-5. I've been wanting to use that playbook for the past couple of years, and the current personnel at LSU seems to be a good fit for it due to our lack of LBs. If we can hopefully get Will McNeal to fully commit, he and J.J. Brooks would make for a very good pair to start with. I also think the senior Justin Harris' speed could be put to good use as far as depth and on special teams.

I still have a few more "interviews" to do on both sides of the ball ("interviews" a.k.a. playbooks to study).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #42

Deegeezy's Arena

LSU Tigers News Clips

Carter

---- ----

Recruiting | 4-star CB Carter narrows list
Thu, 28 Jan 2027 10:20:36 -0700
MaxPreps reports that 4-star CB Ryan Carter (6-2, 176, 4.46 40 time, #14 rated CB) has narrowed his list of school choices down to Alabama, LSU, and USC. The Rayne, Louisiana native will visit with LSU officials this upcoming weekend at his home, however it is believed that the Crimson Tide is currently the slight favorite to land his services.

The long and rangy defender, who is the nation's #246 prospect overall, could possibly compete for immediate playing time in LSU's razor-thin secondary if he chooses to sign with his home state Tigers.

Carter's half brother and Kentucky prospect, WR Brady Carter Jr., also has LSU in his top 3. The two were separated when Ryan's mother relocated to Louisiana following the aftermath of Hurricane Ramone in 2023. Despite the familial ties, the pair is reportedly not particularly guaranteed to be a package deal for any school.

Carter Jr.

---- ----

Recruiting | 4-star WR Carter Jr. narrows list
Thu, 28 Jan 2027 10:24:37 -0700
MaxPreps reports that 4-star WR Brady Carter Jr. (6-0, 163, 4.38 40 time, #6 rated WR) has narrowed his list of school choices down to LSU, Missouri, and TCU. The Campbellsville, Kentucky native will visit with LSU officials this upcoming weekend at his home, however it is believed that the Horned Frogs currently are the favorite to land his services.

The speedy wideout, who is the nation's #79 prospect overall, could possibly compete for immediate playing time at LSU and would bolster the team's overall offensive speed tremendously.

Carter Jr.'s half brother and Louisiana prospect, CB Ryan Carter, also has LSU in his top 3. The two were separated when Ryan's mother relocated to Louisiana following the aftermath of Hurricane Ramone in 2023. Born just two months apart, the Carter brothers' father was apparently a busy man 18 years ago.

Franklin

---- ----

Recruiting | 4-star QB Franklin narrows list
Thu, 28 Jan 2027 10:29:24 -0700
MaxPreps reports that 4-star QB Jimmy Franklin (6-2, 241, 4.98 40 time, #7 rated QB) has narrowed his list of school choices down to Boise St., LSU and Southern Miss. The Morton, Mississippi native will visit with LSU officials this upcoming weekend at his home. Franklin soft-committed to the Golden Eagles during the early signing period this past fall and they remain the favorite for his services, however that soft-commitment was put in some doubt when USM got a hard commitment from Florida blue chip QB Lionel McIntyre (6-1, 220 pounds, 4.74 40-time, #3 rated QB) just a few weeks later.

The pocket passer with a rocket arm, who is the nation's #92 prospect overall, would likely be a redshirt candidate with the Tigers, with junior starting QB Rob Mason set to return to Baton Rouge next fall. If LSU is successfully able to flip Franklin's commitment to Southern Miss, he could potentially be the Tigers' quarterback of the future.

Williams

---- ----

Recruiting | 4-star DT Williams narrows list
Thu, 28 Jan 2027 10:32:15 -0700
MaxPreps reports that 4-star DT Eric Williams (6-6, 269, #9 rated DT) has narrowed his list of school choices down to LSU, Texas, and Texas A&M. The Canyon Lake, Texas native will visit with LSU officials this upcoming weekend at his home, however it is believed that Williams prefers to play closer to home.

The mammoth defensive tackle, who is the nation's #128 prospect overall, would immediately bolster LSU's interior line depth, as the team only returns three players at defensive tackle next season.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 12-15-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #43
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

Love the recruiting updates and the back stories you give these kids. To be able to grab even just 2 of those recruits would be a huge boost to this program going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #44
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

Some good recruits with good stories. Hopefully you can reel them in and really get a head start on the future of LSU. I miss the old offseason recruiting where you had something like 5 weeks of it. In 14 it’s just 15k points, spend em once and pray.

I like the 4-2-5 idea. I’ve personally never run it, but always found it extremely challenging to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan
Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #45
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9

I know Southern Miss has been performing well on the field in your dynasty, but it's still surprising to see them as well as Boise State going toe-to-toe with a big name program like LSU on the recruiting trail. Whether Franklin signs with you or Southern Miss, he'll definitely be a thorn in Tulane's side for a few seasons.

I continue to be impressed by the world building dynamic you construct, whether it was Jamie Manning being related to Peyton and Eli or even now with the Carter brothers being related despite living in separate states (something I can relate to, my older brother graduated from HS in VA and then we moved and I graduated a year later in NC - even my younger brother and I have different last names). It's so subtle to do but if makes a huge impact for realism to those who notice which you know people who read your work do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #46
Pro

jpfine's Arena

OVR: 0

Looking good for recruiting... It'd be great to grab both Carters and Franklin. Brady and Jimmy could be a huge dynamic duo in the future for sure

Indy Eleven | Rutgers | NY Giants | Watford
Old 12-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #47

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1zzo23
Love the recruiting updates and the back stories you give these kids. To be able to grab even just 2 of those recruits would be a huge boost to this program going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, R1zzo.

The backstories are what helps bring these things to life.

This is a pretty impressive group that I am very thankful that the gaming gods have made available for us to possibly nab. Each player (except for the QB, who is good in his own right for future reasons) would help immediately bolster an area of need. The cornerback Ryan Carter in particular is the one I am most excited about, with our top CB being the 73 overall Christian Darby, a guy we used to pick-on at Tulane whenever we played the Tigers. If his ratings are legit, Carter could find himself as a starter on day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Some good recruits with good stories. Hopefully you can reel them in and really get a head start on the future of LSU. I miss the old offseason recruiting where you had something like 5 weeks of it. In 14 it’s just 15k points, spend em once and pray.

I like the 4-2-5 idea. I’ve personally never run it, but always found it extremely challenging to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Yeah I really like this set up for recruiting. The calls, player reaction quotes, the visits, the multiple weeks. To me, this is the best version of recruiting this game has ever put out. It's genius.

I too have struggled against 4-2-5 teams. I think the only concern I have about potentially using it maybe is the lack of versatility as far as formations. I liked having the multiple playbook, where I could toggle back and forth from 4-3 to 3-4 to 3-3-5. I'm still torn on what I am going to do defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker91
I know Southern Miss has been performing well on the field in your dynasty, but it's still surprising to see them as well as Boise State going toe-to-toe with a big name program like LSU on the recruiting trail. Whether Franklin signs with you or Southern Miss, he'll definitely be a thorn in Tulane's side for a few seasons.

I continue to be impressed by the world building dynamic you construct, whether it was Jamie Manning being related to Peyton and Eli or even now with the Carter brothers being related despite living in separate states (something I can relate to, my older brother graduated from HS in VA and then we moved and I graduated a year later in NC - even my younger brother and I have different last names). It's so subtle to do but if makes a huge impact for realism to those who notice which you know people who read your work do.
Southern Miss is a beast in this game. Since 2020, they have only lost literally one game per season except for one season, when they went 11-2 in 2023. They're on an incredible roll and won't be going away any time soon with the types of recruits they've been reeling in.

I appreciate the kind words on the stories. One of the things I try to avoid with these reports is having it become just a boring, simplified list of box scores and generic game articles. I find that it is the off-the-field stuff that keeps me most engaged. Even in real life, I enjoy the off-season of the NFL and NCAA as much if not more than the season itself, so I am having a blast this particular off-season, where I am starting anew and learning/building a new program.

I feel that the more you give your players (and coaches) real life stories, the more real and organic your dynasty experience will feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfine
Looking good for recruiting... It'd be great to grab both Carters and Franklin. Brady and Jimmy could be a huge dynamic duo in the future for sure
Good point on Brady and Jimmy. Not sure why I never thought of that correlation until you pointed it out; they could be an awesome pairing down the road if we somehow land them both. The Carter brothers would also make for a hell of a story if we can nab them both, not to mention the possibility of a Carter brother showdown if one of them ends up on a future opponent of ours!
Old 12-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #48

Deegeezy's Arena

Friday, January 29, 2027....

The Aggies' offense finished ranked 10th in the nation in yards per game (470.2 ypg) and 12th in scoring offense (32.3 ppg) in 2026. New Tigers OC Anthony High (above) hopes to achieve similar numbers next season in Baton Rouge.

TEXAS A&M QB COACH, FORMER TULANE GREAT ANTHONY HIGH NAMED LSU'S OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
Geezy: High to bring an "aggressive, Shotgun-heavy yet pro-style approach" to Baton Rouge | High sees many similar traits to himself and current Tigers starting QB Rob Mason, hopes to mesh offensive style from his playing days at Tulane with his time spent with the Aggies | Hiring of High continues trend of Geezy giving former players opportunities despite what took place at Tulane with his former O.C. Joe Roberts

Exclusive report courtesy Taylor Bisciotti of ESPN's SEC Network

New LSU head coach D. Geezy made his first significant hire on Friday as he and the university introduced Texas A&M assistant coach Anthony High as the team's new offensive coordinator. High, who has spent the past three seasons as the Aggies' quarterbacks coach, is a name LSU fans may remember, as he helped orchestrate a 45-7 Tulane victory over the Tigers in 2015 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, LSU's worst loss to the Wave since 1948.

After an unsuccessful stint in the NFL, Anthony High has achieved success in the coaching ranks and hopes to bring LSU's offense to the next level.

Under High's tutelage, Aggies senior QB Brian Hardin was consistently one of the most efficient passers in college football, throwing for 101 touchdowns and only 25 interceptions in 3 1/2 years as a full-time starter. Hardin threw for 33 touchdowns and 8 interceptions as a junior before throwing for 37 touchdowns (4th in NCAA) and only 7 interceptions as a senior in 2026. Hardin also rushed for 428 yards last season, and his 73% completion percentage in his final year at College Station ranked 2nd in the nation behind only Georgia Tech QB Von Horn, who threw 147 fewer pass attempts; High hopes to bring that same level of efficiency to Baton Rouge next fall.

"I'm excited to get to work and get this offense to the next level," said High, whose shotgun-heavy offense produced two 1,000 yard receivers last fall - junior TE Kelly McCoy (108 rec., 1,477 yds, 13 tds) and senior WR Daniel Mosley (79 rec., 1,142 yds, 11 tds).

"I feel like this was a perfect fit for my family and I. The familiarity with coach Geezy and also the region played a big part in the decision to come here, and I am also fired up about the pieces we have on offense.

"QB Rob Mason is a guy I am really pumped up to work with. With his 4.4 speed, he really reminds me a lot of myself as a player, and I plan to do a lot gameplan wise to take advantage of his legs and get him into space, including sometimes lining him up at receiver like I used to do at Tulane. This is going to be fun."

Since bolting Tulane for the NFL following a stellar junior season, High has been well-traveled. After being drafted in the 6th round by the Las Vegas Raiders (then in Oakland) in the 2016 draft, the Clute, Texas native would bounce around on multiple teams' practice squads for four seasons before going back to school in his home state of Texas at the University of Houston as a graduate assistant for three years (2020-2022). He'd go on to spend the 2023 season as an offensive assistant at Texas A&M before being promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2024, a position he'd hold for three years and helped lead the Aggies to a 9-4 record last fall along with a 38-31 victory over USC in the Alamo Bowl.

High finished his collegiate playing career with a 15-1 record and was a key figure in the turnaround of Tulane's football program 12+ years ago.
Geezy indicated on Friday that he's excited to offer High his first big career opportunity at the coordinator level.

"I have said it time and time again that I believe a lot in taking care of my own and Anthony certainly qualifies as a guy I enjoyed being around a little over a decade ago and someone I feel has always had the coaching traits," said Geezy, who ironically was replaced at head coach by one of his former players, Joe Roberts, at Tulane two weeks ago.

"But more importantly, the guy has the credentials. He's an up-and-comer and someone both (LSU A.D.) Joe Alleva and I feel can take this unit to the next level.

"I'm even more so excited for him to work with Rob, who I think shares a lot of similar traits to Anthony way back when he was a player and can do a lot of the things Anthony did, like line up in the slot and catch passes on occasion. This is going to be an exciting partnership."

At Tulane, High went 15-1 as a starter, with his only loss coming in his senior season in a 38-37 game played in a blizzard at Arkansas in 2015, a game in which High played through a pectoral injury that caused him to miss the previous week's contest. He'd go on that year to help Tulane win its first SEC Championship since returning to the conference the year prior, and was a catalyst for the Green Wave's ascent into the ranks of college football's elite and spearheaded a changing of the guard in the SEC West.

"This is a young coach that is hungry, innovative, and will bring something fresh and exciting to Tiger Stadium on Saturday nights next fall," said Geezy. "I am pretty hyped up about having Anthony in the fold and cannot wait to get to working with him on building this offense."

Editor's Note:

This offensive coordinator change will be manifested video game-wise by me changing my team's offensive playbook from "Ole Miss" to "Texas A&M." We will also be leaning much heavier on shotgun formations and you may even see some unorthodox formations with the quarterback lined up in the slot, both staples of Tulane's offense during High's time as a player under Coach Geezy. We will also try to emulate the statistical performance of the Aggie's offense last season, which featured a high-percentage passing game and fed both the tight end and top receiver heavily while also maintaining balance and producing a 1,000 yard rusher.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 12-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »