Home

Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

This is a discussion on Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #65
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

Unreal story telling. The links to previous articles are massive, both in telling the story to folks who have been around since day one of the dynasty as well as those you've gained along the way (like myself)! Really keeps people involved and caught up in all of the various storylines that you have pulled together over the years. Love the move to the 4-2-5, as it seems to really suit the personnel that you have right now, plus you have the coaches who can make things work for you! Really excited to see how the coming season plays out, but the storylines in the offseason can just keep coming!

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #66

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
This is going to be a long one. Today was a quiet day around our house and ended up revolving around a few things, doing laundry, watching my Seahawks, and catching up on the final year at Tulane and the sequence of events that led to the separation of Geezy and Tulane. Let's just say that you're quite the content creator. There was a lot to go through and this comprised much of my day. I couldn't have picked a better way to spend much of my day, however. I enjoyed it immensely. I have a quick commentary on the dynasty reporting process and some of the things I love about what you (and other incredible writers) do that I wish I had caught on to. And then I have (which I hope to keep short) some commentary and takes on the games.

With the shot to the head that NCAA 14 took at the hands of the selfish O'Bannons (and others) a shift was made in how dynasties could be run. I suppose that even before that, there are those dynasty writers who preferred to play old games and stick with a storyline longer term. I was never in that camp. I used to write at MM and other places, and attend E3 - It was always ingrained for me to be out looking for that next game. And so it followed (and still does) that when I'm doing a dynasty I'm just trying to get as many seasons in as possible before the next game, and report to an acceptable depth, but not the Mariana Trench depth. Even when it was clear that NCAA 14 was it for the long term, I don't think I really advanced my reporting style. I love playing and reporting my dynasty don't get me wrong, but I admire the depth and detail you put into your craft and I thank you for sharing that with us. It's truly a pleasure to read and partake in.

With that, I go back to the season with a few comments that came to mind catching up.

LSU Game Knowing how Geezy makes use of the RB, it will be interesting to see if Jamie Stover wins the starting job next year as he did quite well against Tulane; or at least, to see how the job shakes out because he looks like a capable player. LSU cheerleader Jordan Hebert certainly seems to fit Geezy's standards, I always forget they used to have pretty nice looking cheerleader models in NCAA.

ND Game The eventual national champs sure played like national champs, and I must agree that performance by Caldwell stacks up handily with some of the best I've seen.

It's weird looking at the Top 25 Signees chart that you posted for Notre Dame's recruiting success of a few years ago, and seeing that there literally was not one bust amongst the Top 25 (ratings wise). Obviously, at this point everybody selects their NCAA game of choice based on different criteria, but one area where NCAA 14 is objectively better is there are quite a few 5-star duds, ratings wise. And then some of them might play really well in the games, and high rated guys might play like trash.

Kentucky Game - Insane game, particularly insane was the pbu at 25 seconds left to play, it was credited as a deflection but I have no idea how the DB got his hands on it. That was likely a game saving play in regulation.

UCLA Game - The first stunning outcome honestly... Because I know to expect anything in your dynasties.. But I never, ever, ever *clap* ever thought a west coast team would be able to win this game for some reason. I figured it was an easy upset and the Bruins would be way too soft, like Jim Mora's teams.

Huh... Moving truck. Maybe it was a different type of omen, I'm sure many have already commented that. Let me chime in on congratulating you on the real life promotion to director, bro.

SEC Championship - Know the feeling of getting down big and the sinking feeling. Tulane was really game and determined to make a comeback out of it, and disappointingly it fell short. It was disappointing to read that.

Capital One - Just glad to see Geezy leave Tulane with a victory. That would have been the saddest thing that happened yet if the Wave hadn't won that one.

I haven't fully digested that Geezy is moving on, and I'll have to read through this thread but I'm glad to be starting fresh with the LSU chapter. I hope that you can do what I've always done and sort of immerse yourself in the program from the perspective of an LSU fan. That's one thing I do take my time with, understanding the legacy, looking at Google maps images from the ground and seeing the campus, basically trying to take whatever I can from it as my own so a potential reader that loves and knows the program doesn't just think I'm missing everything that's wonderful about it.

Good luck, I know you won't need it creating a great story.
Absolutely incredible feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to catch-up on this. Reading through this brought back some fun (and painful) memories. I miss Tulane even more now.

I agree 100% with your observation/commentary on sticking to an older dynasty and seeing it through. It has been very fulfilling. In a way, the stoppage of the NCAA series has at least given many of us some extreme longevity that's allowed us to see dynasties all the way through. There is no longer that rush to fit in as many seasons as possible before the new game comes out, so these month to two-month long off-seasons are no longer a big deal, and in fact make the seasons themselves even more fun since you build up drama and anxiousness before each year, and it also allows you to go into greater depth with things. When I re-started this dynasty back in 2015, I had no idea about the effect playing at this pace would have, and had only planned to go about 3 or 4 seasons; because of the amount immersion achieved due to the amount of time and depth you can put in when playing at a slower pace, I have doubled that projection, and the end is nowhere in sight.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane here on your game-by-game analysis -

- Unfortunately as you may have read or will soon read, RB Jamie Stover has moved on to the NFL. We will have a true freshman running back starting for us next fall named Scottie Rodgers. Sucks to lose such a potential great player, but the dynasty-veteran in me likes that the cupboard starts off a little bare at that particular position, with an unestablished young player in the backfield.

- Eh, why'd you have to bring up Caldwell and the Fighting Irish? I still have nightmares about that guy. That team is absolutely stacked. You're right about the lack of busts in the blue chip crop though. They all come in rated in the 77 to 84 range typically. The busts don't begin until you get down to the 4-stars, with some coming in as low as 66.

Overall though, I must say that I am very happy with the ratings spread across the nation 18 seasons in, which I will highlight later in this thread *Spoiler* - B-/C+ is the new norm for a good portion of the top 25, with A-/B+ being reserved for the true cream of the crop. In fact, I think there are only two teams rated as A- going into next year. I really like the way this game handles incoming freshman ratings in that every team except for 2 or 3 every year, like real life, ends up with some type of weakness on their roster rather than every team in the top 25 and perhaps beyond being stacked with 85+ rated players virtually across the board. It feels like the gameplay has been way better than ever before due to this and I absolutely love the game results I have been getting because of it.

- I see you watched the Kentucky video (hopefully I can do a few more of those here in Part III). I had to go back and re-watch it myself to see what you were talking about on that deflection and I do recall now; that was indeed a game-saving play right there. What an incredible game; the way that video starts off, with the Mardi Gras music playing after a touchdown had just been scored really makes me miss Tulane all the more. Hopefully when my Tigers face the Wildcats this upcoming season in Lexington, it isn't nearly as drama-filled.

- Ha...Wow, I had forgotten all about the Tulane moving truck snapshot I randomly took and posted to the thread! You're absolutely right, I definitely misread that omen. In hindsight, it was clear as day what the video game gods were trying to tell me that day! haha

- After the SEC title game, I pretty much knew I was in trouble, or at the very least, that my odds of getting an extension had gotten very low. We win that game and I am still coaching in New Orleans, no doubt.

- I am glad I was able to get one last 'W' with my guys. It was a fun ride. I still remember the feeling of being punched in the gut after that game though when the bad news came down; even though I had prepared myself mentally for it, I still could not believe my eyes when that "Contract Termination" pop-up showed up on the screen. My heart sank.

Thanks again for the awesome reply. That was really a great read and brought back a lot of recent memories that I somehow had forgotten about already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese2121
Love love love the Kelly signing and really the natural choice. I feel like I have been on the Kelly band wagon every time your defensive coordinator position opened up over the years. I am really excited to see the 4-2-5 instituted. I loved the hybrid look that Richards gave you back when you were running with the "slash" position.

Speaking of Richards, happy to see him on staff. Probably my favorite legacy player of all time of yours outside of the illustrious Reggie Moore. It was nice to see his career take such stride in Seattle after the slow start in Houston. I almost forgot he was drafted by the Texans until I read back. I wonder two how old his sons are these days. Could we be seeing a Richards son in Baton Rouge in the future....

To echo the words of Hellisan. The depth, craft and art you put into these threads is one of legends. I am just so thankful to have been along with you for as much of the ride as I have been. It is surreal remembering back and recalling where I was in my own life back when Mark Richards was being recruited. You are the man, my friend. So excited for this next chapter.

A few random thoughts...Can't wait for some of Ellis's off the wall comments again. Those always made me laugh. And also loved the callback to the Erin Andrews scandal. Oh the glory days of Geezy.
Thanks, Cheese...I knew you of all people would enjoy the Charles Kelly reunion story. I wasn't going to go in that direction initially, but one day recently I randomly googled him just to see if he is still indeed using the 3-4/4-3 scheme he used back at Nicholls, and low and behold, I learned that he evolved and used the 4-2-5 at Florida St. I truly had no idea; it was almost as if it was destiny for this guy to be brought back into the story, since I had been eyeing that defensive scheme for several months now (heck, I must admit, it was the sole reason for Cam DeJean being brought back into the storyline several seasons ago).

You know I just had to get my guy Mark Richards back into the mix, now that he's essentially an old guy now. Damn, I forgot he played for the Houston Texans as well! (a former Geezy employer by the way...I'll get brave one of these days my friend lol)

Unlike the ever popular Reggie Moore, this guy was a true underdog story that came out of nowhere. The most amazing thing for me is that not only was he a 3-star player that became a superstar, but we have yet to see a single player dominate again as a pass rusher/coverage linebacker the way he did defensively all those years ago. I am still trying to find that player again, and hopefully maybe Will McNeal can be that guy for us.

I appreciate as always the compliments on my work; it is easy to do when you love football and also love writing; gotta put this journalism degree to use in some form or fashion I guess lol.

I would also add though that you're a legend of the dynasty game yourself; one of the best in the game.

Haha, and yes, Steve Ellis has definitely been re-inserted for some comedy relief. It'll be like old times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Sam99
Geezey is getting the band back together! Cue the montage!!
Yep, the band is indeed back together. Usually when a coach at any level takes a new job, he brings with him a bunch of familiar faces from previous stops.

Ironically, I got even more inspiration on this from Les Miles, who recently hired former LSU DB Chevis Jackson to be his new DB coach in real life at Kansas. That's just one example of many instances of this occurring, so it is fun to bring this to my gaming world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
Unreal story telling. The links to previous articles are massive, both in telling the story to folks who have been around since day one of the dynasty as well as those you've gained along the way (like myself)! Really keeps people involved and caught up in all of the various storylines that you have pulled together over the years. Love the move to the 4-2-5, as it seems to really suit the personnel that you have right now, plus you have the coaches who can make things work for you! Really excited to see how the coming season plays out, but the storylines in the offseason can just keep coming!
Thanks, Moose. You're exactly correct. Not only am I trying to advance the story, but as I have alluded to many times, I try to make sure the past never dies. As you point out, it also helps serve as a dynasty-historical of sorts for new and old readers.

I have enjoyed this off-season far more than I ever expected. I am very anxious to get back onto the field though. I plan to start putting in some practice mode time to start learning these new playbooks before kicking off the 2027 season soon.

I am very pumped up about the 4-2-5 installment. I have so many ideas in mind as far as personnel deployment - Freshman OLB Will McNeal with his hand in the dirt at rush-end in certain formations, DE Matt Manning lining up at linebacker spots in another formation, a "cheetah" line formation with 3 defensive ends and a linebacker...the possibilities are endless. This is going to be a blast.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #67

Deegeezy's Arena

LSU Tigers News Clips

-----

report courtesy Carley McCord, WDSU-TV New Orleans

LSU | Team inks last minute scheduling contract with Florida St.
Mon, 1 Feb 2027 17:48:23 -0700
Carley McCord of WDSU-TV New Orleans reports that LSU has filled its vacant out-of-conference schedule spot for next fall by inking a two-game, home-and-home agreement with Florida St. University. The Tigers will face the Seminoles on August 28th at 8:00 pm at Tiger Stadium to open the 2027 season, and will travel to Tallahassee to open the 2028 season. Both teams are expected to be ranked in the Top 25 this season.

The meeting this fall will mark the first time since 1991 that the two schools have met in football at Baton Rouge. The Tigers last played the Seminoles in 2016, a game they lost 25-21 at Tallahassee. LSU is 2-8 all-time versus Florida St., with their last victory coming all the way back in 1968, nearly 60 years ago.

The remainder of the Tigers' 2027 football schedule is expected to be released in the coming days.

McNeal at his official visit to LSU's campus this past fall
report courtesy Eve Jewell, ESPN/SEC Network

LSU | 4-star OLB McNeal re-affirms commitment
Wed, 3 Feb 2027 10:30:37 -0700
Eve Jewell of ESPN/SEC Network reports that 4-star OLB Will McNeal (6-1, 224, 4.46 40-time, #8 OLB prospect), who soft committed to LSU two months ago, has re-affirmed his commitment to LSU and will sign with the team after initially wavering on his pledge following the school's coaching change last month. After first tweeting LSU's recruiting catchphrase "Hold that Tiger" on Sunday, a strong indication of where his heart was at, the Opelousas, Louisiana native made it clear on where he would be enrolling next fall via an Instagram post this morning on National Signing Day.

"I always wanted to be a Tiger. I was a Tiger in high school with the Opelousas Tigers and I grew up a fan of the LSU Tigers. After having my in-home visit with Coach Geezy and also talking things over with Coach Kelly and Coach Richards, I am ready to go to Baton Rouge as previously planned. Geaux Tigers."

McNeal, who finished his high school senior season at Opelousas with 84 tackles, 14 1/2 sacks, and 3 interceptions, could see immediate playing time in LSU's newly installed 4-2-5 defense as both a linebacker and a rush-end.

Franklin

Recruiting | 4-star QB Franklin commits to Boise St.
Wed, 3 Feb 2027 11:21:35 -0700
MaxPreps reports that 4-star QB Jimmy Franklin (6-2, 241, 4.98 40-time, #7 rated QB) has committed to Boise St. The Morton, Mississippi native had been considering both LSU and Southern Miss.

Franklin had soft-committed to the Golden Eagles during the early signing period, however that soft-commitment was put in doubt when USM got a hard commitment from Florida blue chip QB Lionel McIntyre (6-1, 220 pounds, 4.74 40-time, #3 rated QB) just a few weeks later.

The pocket passer with a rocket arm, who is the nation's #92 prospect overall, could be installed as an immediate starter with the Broncos following the shoddy play of returning QB Leonard Moore (72 ovr), who finished the 2026 season with only 18 touchdown passes compared to a whopping 23 interceptions.

Williams

Recruiting | 4-star DT Williams commits to Texas A&M
Wed, 3 Feb 2027 12:14:23 -0700
MaxPreps reports that 4-star DT Eric Williams (6-6, 269, #9 rated DT) has committed to Texas A&M. The Canyon Lake, Texas native had an in-home vist with LSU, but in the end chose to stay closer to home.

The mammoth defensive tackle, who is the nation's #128 prospect overall, will immediately bolster Texas A&M's interior line depth.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 01-24-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #68

Deegeezy's Arena

LSU Tigers Recruiting Class of 2027

WR Brady Carter Jr., CB Ryan Carter, and RB Scottie Rodgers

LATE FLURRY OF OFF-SEASON SIGNINGS BY NEW HEAD COACH D. GEEZY NETS LSU THE NATION'S #12 RANKED RECRUITING CLASS

Acquisition of the Carter brothers, hard-commit by LB McNeal sets Tigers up with strong foundation for rebuild project | RB Scottie Rodgers one of several players who could see immediate playing time | Late 3-star signees Dan Dawson and Kevin Clark brings offensive line newcomer total to six as team hopes to repair in the trenches | Geezy admits that it is "very satisfying" to have finished several spots ahead of Tulane in 2027 recruiting class rankings

2027 Recruiting Class - 12th rated overall

Click here to view 2027 LSU Tigers Off-Season Roster

Last edited by Deegeezy; 01-05-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #69

Deegeezy's Arena

DE Larry Shelton | QB Gavin Hoffman

FOR THE THIRD TIME IN FIVE YEARS, NOTRE DAME BRINGS IN THE NATION'S TOP RATED RECRUITED CLASS
Defending national champions acquire 8 blue chip players, including two of the nation's best defenders in DE Tony Horn and MLB Mark Smith, along with nation's top RB Laurence Clifford; Fighting Irish also won recruiting titles in 2023 & 2025 | Alabama hauls in the top prospect avaiable in DE Larry Shelton as they hope to get back to its championship winning ways after failing to win a third straight national title last season | America's top high school QB Gavin Hoffman headlines star-studded Georgia Tech class, which includes 4 of the top 7 players available

Top Recruiting Classes - 2027
RKTEAM54321TOTAL
1Notre Dame8330519
2USC6720116
3Alabama62100018
4Georgia Tech6350216
5Texas A&M11074022
6Florida4394020
7California010120022
8Florida St.1991020
9Wisconsin01085225
10Texas17121021
11Michigan07152024
12LSU010100020
13Miami08122123
14South Carolina07125024
15Tulane3542519
16Fresno St.1950217
17Arkansas06142022
18West Virginia1781118
19Virginia Tech04165025
20Penn St.06141021
21TCU2650518
22Southern Miss1780117
23Auburn04180022
24USF05135124
25Rutgers06107023

Nation's Top 25 Signees

Old 12-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #70
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

Definitely some players who could contribute right away at the top of that recruiting class! Holding onto McNeal was huge, as I'd expect him to get a ton of snaps right away with that 88 speed as a linebacker , that will make him a huge asset for sure.

Rodgers is probably your feature back already, though is 84 speed isn't spectacular, he is definitely an upgrade over the limited personnel that are in place already.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Old 12-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #71
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

OVR: 7

great job solidifying that recruiting class, always good to have a bunch of "your guys" that can contribute early. excited for games to get started.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 7

Solid recruiting class, especially year one on the job. Notre Dame though..wow! 8 blue chips? That's some solid talent they are bringing in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »