Home

The "I need a challenge" thread

This is a discussion on The "I need a challenge" thread within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #49
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: The "I need a challenge" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Big thanks Jaa for the great idea and to whitesox for setting this up.

I plan on attempting one team in each federation.
Let me know when ready, im working now, but will love to start tonight.
Keep in mind that rankings need to be looked at before starting game, as they will change after 2010 WC im sure.

GO TEAM USA!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #50
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
Let me know when ready, im working now, but will love to start tonight.
Keep in mind that rankings need to be looked at before starting game, as they will change after 2010 WC im sure.

GO TEAM USA!!!!
It shows when you select your team.

The first save is ready, but I'm not releasing them until all 4 are done. And that's gonna take a while. A few more hours at least.

All players with international reputation, and all current internationals have been loaded into the database. Also, the top league in Finland is playable, because that comes with a January 2010 start date.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #51
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

I forgot to turn autosave off. *facepalm*

Thankfully I didn't lose tons of progress.

EDIT: After seeing that the upload is gonna take 1.5 hours, I've decided to delay the upload until the first match tomorrow, so I'm not really tired.

Last edited by Whitesox; 06-27-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #52
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Remember fellas, 40+ in rankings, so check before you start save.

I Cannot wait to start in Jan 2011 with Colombia, for my wife(whose colombiana) and after watching the "Two Escobars" on 30/30. To bring the glory back to Colombian National Futbol and get back to their first World Cup since the tragic 1994 WC here in the states. How fitting would it be to be in Brazil in 2014, first things first, Will have the Copa America in Summer of 2011 to see where I stand currently, followed by the WC 2014 qualification process starting later in the year. Colombia has alot of talent around the world playing professional soccer, plan on bringing them home for international play. We should see the same in the real world, as Maratuana(the 1994 squad coach) is coming back to coach the national team, along with his assistants being several of those 1994 squad players. They will hopefully restore the flair and excitement the colombian soccer team had back then, but the right way this time. Several of Colombia's top player playing professional would not play for the past coach since he was such an ***hole; and would all love to play for Maratuana. Now hopefully I can get them to play for Coach jaa1980 aka "El Gringo" as well??

Viva Colombia!

Love to see everyone post on here not only status, but also stories of why you pick the team you do; build a little excitement. Also as we go along maybe rosters, along with where they play professionally, and results ofcourse.

Goodluck to all!!

Last edited by Hunkerdown; 06-27-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #53
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

Here is the zip containing the 4 saves.

Now, I will be uploading another file for January 2011, in case anyone wants to play the Copa America. I will do a similar thing for other Cups if people want that.

Last edited by Whitesox; 06-27-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #54
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

Ok, here is the January 2011 file.

This will allow you to play in some other tournaments. It is titled Copa America, but should work for any tournament starts before August 2011.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #55
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox
Ok, here is the January 2011 file.

This will allow you to play in some other tournaments. It is titled Copa America, but should work for any tournament starts before August 2011.
You are the man, cannot wait to get home and try this out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #56
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

So, I went with Uruguay in this challenge. They are ranked somewhere in the 60's in the Copa America file. First 2 friendlies were romps against nobodys, second 2 friendlies were both penalty wins against Norway and South Korea (getting ready for the Copa America).

Our group consists of Mexico, Venezuela, and Chile. We are expected to reach the quarters, but as I look over this group I lack confidence. As long as we finish third, we should go through as one of the best placed third teams, considering we should beat on Venezuela.

First match, I come out playing for the tie. Similar to a World Cup strategy, I felt that if we could get a draw against Mexico, and a win vs. Venezuela, the Chile result shouldn't be too important. All goes according to plan, 0-0 final in this one.

Next up: Venezuela. I am favored in this one, and should win easily. Sure enough, we strike early. Complete dominance, we win 3-0. Easy victory, and coming into the third match, we can finish first, second, or third. All three positions will move me forward, so no worries. I've achieved my goal. We go out against Chile with nothing to lose, and take an early 1-0 lead. I immediately realize that with a win I could go further in this cup than I thought, so I pull back a little. Chile takes notice, and starts peppering my keeper. They finally break through around the 60th, and that ceases the scoring for the match. The best part: Mexico draws with Venezuela. We win the group with 5 points.

Uruguay 0-0 Mexico
Uruguay 3-0 Venezuela
Uruguay 1-1 Chile

Because of this fantastic turn of events, we draw Ecuador in the quarters. I suddenly gain some confidence, we might be able to take third place!

I come in cautious against Ecuador, as my assistant said they like to counter a lot. This was clearly the wrong decision, and we pull a USA. 0-2 at the half. Something clicked during the team talk, we come out and get one back fairly early. Time passes slowly from here on out, me on the edge of my seat. We go to attacking. Then overload. Then overload/take more risks. And finally, Diego Forlan breaks us even. Jubilation. The match goes to extra time, and then Penalties. We win the penalty shootout convincingly, 4-2. On to the semi's, against former opponent Mexico.

I come into the semi final quite happy with our performance, and with the fact that we have bought ourselves two more games. This match is looking like a repeat of our former match, 0-0 through 90. Nothing of note. And then, Diego Forlan decides he's had enough of this. Two goals from him during extra time sends us to the final!

Our final opponent? Argentina. Now, we get lucky. Messi took a knock in the semi final and will miss the match. And Messi is just one of a few Argentinian casualties. We actually have a shot to win this cup.

Odds stacked against us, we march into the final match with our heads held high. I'm playing for penalites from the beginning, in a strict counter. Absolutely no mistakes allowed. And we play that way, no defensive lapses. On the offensive side, we play even better. Diego Forlan continues his amazing performance, and strikes one home in the 24th. We try to hold on for dear life. Praying to the soccer gods that Argentina do not equalize. And they don't!! Uruguay are the Copa America CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

So pumped up, we played so well. We conceded the least amount of goals in the tournament, with 3. Diego Forlan wins the golden boot.

Wonderful win, and the cup win makes me the first non Uruguayan in the Uruguay Hall of Fame.

Last edited by Whitesox; 06-27-2010 at 11:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »