Home

Contemplating the jump to FM13 from FIFA13

This is a discussion on Contemplating the jump to FM13 from FIFA13 within the Football Manager forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
What I'm saying is I'm worried that I'll start a career and play it for a few weeks. Only then do I find out that something I did or should have done back on day two set me on a course for failure. Like somehow bankrupting the team and not having enough players to field a team.

Not to mention figuring out the interplay of all the different systems to get things to work.

You guys might call it learning but to me, that's just wasted time on something that could have/shpuld have been explained better or be a little easier to find where it's explained.

EDIT: Like with a D&D RPG such as Neverwinter Nights 2. First time I played it, I decided I didn't want to be a warrior like I do in any RPG with a sword and shield. I decided that the Eldritch Knight sounded awesome - magic and a sword. Flexible. Versatile.

The game didn't explain HOW I would be able to do the Prestige class. What I needed to do to get it, what stats. It didn't explain that I needed to allocate my points in a very specific way from the get-go to have any chance of fielding a character that was remotely playable past the first few levels. That if I didn't do it a certain way, my build was broken and I wouldn't find out until 30+ hours into the game. It didn't explain that I needed to have chosen from the get go if I wanted Lvl 9 spells or not.

That kind of thing is what I'm afraid of.

Last edited by CybrSlydr; 10-24-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
MVP

Perceptor's Arena

OVR: 18
The game won't let you run into bankruptcy as you only have a set budget you can spend in terms of transfers and wages. In terms of not having enough players, you will typically have a reserve and youth team so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure many of us have had to dip into our reserves and youth when we've had injuries.

There will always be ways you could have done things differently or things you've missed. The game is so vast that it will happen. My suggestion - set a goal or two for yourself in terms of what you want for your team and then try to accomplish them. Then once you do that set a higher goal and so on
Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Contemplating the jump to FM13 from FIFA13

The guys on here are absolutely right - FM is way more rewarding and involved and has put me off console gaming forever. In FIFA you can just buy a guy and play him like you would any other player because you're in control - in FM there are so many nuances and things that can happen that it's fun to actual "manage."

If you're worried about messing up early in the game, I did too. But it was more about common things in FM that I simply didn't know (like deleting a file that uses the fake German and Japanese national teams), so read forums and tutorials for ways to make starting your save better. This is a game that plays great right out of the box but has some little tricks that kinda suck if you don't know about when starting a save (because many have to be applied on the start).

This probably worked for me alone, but I found it better to start with international management because, even though there were fewer games, it was easier to get the basics down and not be overwhelmed by budgets, training schedules, etc. One great addition to this year's game is the Director of Football mode, which allows you to pick and choose what responsibilities you want and what you want to reassign.

Have fun, enjoy it. I have logged 150+ hours over the last year, which is probably low for a FM gamer. But, it's a far more enjoyable and thorough, it's amazing. You'll learn a hell of a lot more about players in this than you ever will by playing FIFA.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Rookie

I've pretty much decided to get it, I'm just worried about how much I'm going to be able to enjoy it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
Midfield Maestro

Ozil's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr
I've pretty much decided to get it, I'm just worried about how much I'm going to be able to enjoy it.
Well that depends on what you want to get out of the game. This is a challenging game and you will make mistakes. But, there are also many many ways at being successful in this game. Some of us take successful and rich clubs to see if we can maintain the clubs' success. Others prefer to start off managing in small countries to see how we can advance.

That's the beauty of the game - there's no one way of being successful and there's many ways to play and enjoy the game.

For the first time, I started with a smaller budget Prem team like Everton with the goal of turning them into a consistent top 4 team. Loving it so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
Rookie

I've already decided on the Columbus Crew for my team.

Do you get job offers in the game or do you just work one team?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

You get offer or open spot that can you apply for.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:

Think of each save you start as a "world". You set your world up however you want then create a manager with a certain base reputation, which affects how players and teams view you. You can either pick a team or start unemployed. Then the world just happens as you advance days. Other teams fire managers, and managers shuffle around, so there are always other opportunities. But if you're an American manager with low reputation, you won't get an offer when say, Chelsea, fires their manager.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Football Manager »