Home

Madden 20 PC won't launch after update

This is a discussion on Madden 20 PC won't launch after update within the Madden NFL Football PC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #33
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden 20 PC won't launch after update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.Walton1
This just started happening to me today. Was working fine all day. Now at 4PM EST the EXACT thing you described in your original post is happening to me. NOTHING is fixing it.
OK. So after all the fuss and muss I am 99% certain the issues i was having were due to being a Origin Access subscriber and some hardware changes as well as logging on at work.

So....can you answer any of these questions:

1. Did you upgrade or change any hardware on your PC/PCs that have Origin on them?
2. Did you apply any Windows updates to any PCs that have Origin on them?
3. Have you logged on from a different computer (with Origin account)?
4. Do you own the game or are you getting it via Origin Access or Premiere Access?

Let us know.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #34
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.Walton1
This just started happening to me today. Was working fine all day. Now at 4PM EST the EXACT thing you described in your original post is happening to me. NOTHING is fixing it.

I'm having a similar issue. Last night, at 7PM Central, I closed out Madden 20 to watch some preseason football. Before I exited, there was a notification about an active roster update that was needed (I summarily ignored it).

At 9:35 last night, I tried to play it. Instant crash -- hit play, black screen, and then it was gone, back to the Origin client. I jumped online, did some research, determined it must be the Origin client. Uninstalled and reinstalled. No change.

I found this helpful little bit, describing someone with a similar problem in Madden 19:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-.../7007661#M2002

Quote:
I will be sharing it below, i can't promise it will help but it did for me after a week of frustration.

Step 1: Open a run dialog with the windows key + R.
Step 2: Type %temp% in the search box and hit OK.This will open a new window in front of you.
Step 3: In the toolbar hit view, then to the far right hit options. Go the view tab and ensure hidden files and folders is checked.
Step 4: You'll see a folder called Madden NFL 19 in the temp files now, just delete this folder.
Step 5: Profit (Hopefully).

If this is seriously the solution i have NO idea why they haven't tried to push this, sorry if it doesn't work for everyone but figured i'd give it a shot.

I followed the steps there ... no good. Same problem. I deleted all saved data related to the game within the Documents/Madden 20 folder. Figured it must have been a corrupt bit of settings data.

Nothing. Still a failure.

This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. No difference. Tried to repair the game, no go.

Got back from work and did some more digging. Windows, at 8:50 last night, did some routine maintenance. I checked Windows update, and lo and behold, it had a massive update it wanted to give me. I figured that was -- Windows had done something.

I ran the update. Still broken. Uninstalled and reinstalled my video drivers. No good. Uninstalled and reinstalled Madden 20 (again) and stuck it right on my C Drive. Nope.

I tried to do a Clean Boot, as EA recommends, disabling all startup services and seeing if the game booted. No changes. I cleared out the Origin cache. No results.

I am not getting an sort of crash logs from Madden or from Windows -- the game does start, it pops up every so briefly in my task bar and task manager, and then dies.

I've disabled Origin cloud saves and the in-game overlay. I've turned off my antivirus and uninstalled it completely, have made sure Madden is allowed through the Windows firewall as well as Origin, turned off the firewall, and I can't get it to behave any different.

It is well and truly not working.

I'm running an i56600K quad core, 3.5 GHz, 16 GBs of DDR4 RAM, and an Nvidia 1070.

Up until 9:35 yesterday, I have had no problems launching this game. Madden 19, Battlefield 1 and V, the Witcher III, Fallout 4, and every NBA 2K from 2014 on all work fine.

Madden 20, does not. I can't figure it.

I'm running Madden 20 version 1.0.52.16674 according to Windows control panel, I'm wondering if we're all on the same version -- could some sort of stealth patch or tuning adjustment caused this issue?

Any and all information would be useful. It's incredibly frustrating to have put over 21 hours into a game and have it break for no discernible reason.

Last edited by trekfan; 08-09-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #35
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Note to Mods: Can this be stickied please?

Just a heads up the new frosty for Madden 20 is out. Make sure to follow the instructions, it’s different than Madden 19.

https://frostytoolsuitedev.gitlab.io/downloads.html

Instructions per Frosty Developer

**v1.0.5.4 - Madden 20**

This version brings along with it a Madden 20 profile, however there are some things you have to be aware of. For modding to work correctly (and at all). You need to ensure that you remove any Live Content Updates that have been installed from taking the game online, and you will have to run the game in offline mode to avoid the game redownloading these updates. Because unfortunately altho these updates contain nothing of worth (at this time) they override any patches installed thru Origin and in turn override ModData.

The standard directory for these updates is: %ProgramData%\Frostbite\Madden NFL 20

Failing to do this will result in the following prompt appearing when you attempt to launch:

I figured it out. TheBleedingRed gave me the hint I need -- it's that file path.

C:\ProgramData\Frostbite\Madden NFL 20\LCU

The LCU folder contains live content, including -- what appears -- to have been some sort of patch or adjustment.

00.01.00.00.eaPatchInstalled

Whatever was in that or whatever else was in that LCU folder was killing me. I deleted the ENTIRE LCU folder, clicked play on Origin, and the game launched for the first time in 24 hours.

I have launched it repeatedly since -- three times -- and it works. The patch must not have installed correctly or perhaps I closed out the program as it was installing, I'll never really know, but deleting that folder got the game to boot for me.

I hope it works for someone else. Bless this forum, it is the best.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #36
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

So the moral of that long typed out message is to delete the Live Content update folders and let them update again next time you start the game to fix the issue?
Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #37
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMRock
So the moral of that long typed out message is to delete the Live Content update folders and let them update again next time you start the game to fix the issue?

Yes it is. Delete the LCU folder in that file path and it solved all my issues.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I figured it out. TheBleedingRed gave me the hint I need -- it's that file path.

C:\ProgramData\Frostbite\Madden NFL 20\LCU

The LCU folder contains live content, including -- what appears -- to have been some sort of patch or adjustment.

00.01.00.00.eaPatchInstalled

Whatever was in that or whatever else was in that LCU folder was killing me. I deleted the ENTIRE LCU folder, clicked play on Origin, and the game launched for the first time in 24 hours.

I have launched it repeatedly since -- three times -- and it works. The patch must not have installed correctly or perhaps I closed out the program as it was installing, I'll never really know, but deleting that folder got the game to boot for me.

I hope it works for someone else. Bless this forum, it is the best.
I turned off my social media and live updates on the game last night, not sure if that's another workaround.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #39
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Madden would not open for me the last two days.

I deleted the LCU file and the Madden 20 temp file on the EA forum. Had to restart to get it to actually run though

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football PC »