Home

M20 1988 Roster PS4

This is a discussion on M20 1988 Roster PS4 within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #121
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: M20 1988 Roster PS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
Over the years of doing rosters I developed a rating system for classic roster. In order to help replicate earlier eras of football, it is necessary to alter some ratings from the normal EA system. One of those is QBs. This helps to make the game more realistic in played games. It used to help in simmed games as well, but the sim engine still produces outrageous stats for QBs even with lowered ratings.

Another thing you might not notice, but is there, is that Tight Ends have many of their route running ratings lower than normal. Running backs are the same, with a couple of individual exceptions.

The reason you do not notice the rating changes in some positions is that not all ratings have the same effect on the overall rating.

I little more on QBs: I have created formulas over the years that takes a QBs actual stats from a given season and then I produce his Awareness and Accuracy ratings. Then, ratings such as Throw Under Pressure, Throwing Power, Throw on the Run, Play Action, are all based on knowing the players and making them a bit more individualized.

I hope that explanation helps.
I know my rating system is not for everyone. I know some people do not like my rosters simply because of how I handle the QBs.

One thing that I did not do as much with the 1988 roster, that I wish I would have and might change, is increasing DBs coverage ratings a bit more. I have done that in past years to help tighten up coverage. But it is a balancing act. Tighter coverage forces AI quarterbacks to hold the ball too long and take too many sacks.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it I really appreciate. I love the roster, planning on doing any other years?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #122
MVP

[quote=HTTR88;2049966503]Thanks for taking the time to explain it I really appreciate. I love the roster, planning on doing any other years?[/QUOTE

I am glad you are enjoying the roster. If you ever go back and play M19 I have 1985 and 1980. I have other rosters on the Maddens back to M15.

As for any other rosters for this year, I am not 100% sure. I have thought about doing another roster, and probably will. Not sure on the timeline for completion though.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #123
Rookie

[quote=Iteachpercussion;2049966529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR88
Thanks for taking the time to explain it I really appreciate. I love the roster, planning on doing any other years?[/QUOTE

I am glad you are enjoying the roster. If you ever go back and play M19 I have 1985 and 1980. I have other rosters on the Maddens back to M15.

As for any other rosters for this year, I am not 100% sure. I have thought about doing another roster, and probably will. Not sure on the timeline for completion though.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #124
Rookie

[quote=Iteachpercussion;2049966529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR88
Thanks for taking the time to explain it I really appreciate. I love the roster, planning on doing any other years?[/QUOTE

I’m pretty sure I used those rosters on m19. Can’t wait to check them out if you decide to do other years.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #125
MVP

OVR: 3

Of course this come apart a bit when you go deep into franchise with a roster like this, simply due to the limitations, but these are perfectly fine for a single season replay. I think thats what most of us want to do with these rosters, just have that season format. That said, we've gone into year 2 and 3 in some cases, and its still pretty immersive. If there were draft classes, they would be even more so.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!

Last edited by Culture Rot; 11-15-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #126
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Rot
Of course this come apart a bit when you go deep into franchise with a roster like this, simply due to the limitations, but these are perfectly fine for a single season replay. I think thats what most of us want to do with these rosters, just have that season format. That said, we've gone into year 2 and 3 in some cases, and its still pretty immersive. If there were draft classes, they would be even more so.
Last year Armor and I worked together and created a 1986 draft class to go with my 1985 roster. I think that did help to provide one more good season.

I want to be able to use Franchise mode so bad with my classic rosters but the mode really struggles to translate in my opinion. I have spent way too much time over the years testing and playing and getting frustrated with franchise mode.
Every year I say, "I am done with franchise mode, I am not going to do that to myself anymore." And then, shortly after finishing a roster, I am right back in franchise mode. Somehow I think, "This time it will be different." Then back to the reality of a mode that simply is not made for classic rosters.

I will though, I have gotten pretty decent results out of franchise mode this year with limited time with the 1988 roster. Now, for it to be really good, you have to actually play EVERY game. Even the in game super sim causes QB completion percentages to be way too high. But, the Minnesota playbook is pretty solid for run/pass ratio.

With that said, if someone would be willing to assist with a 1989 draft class, I would possibly be willing to do all of the ratings. But before anyone jumps on that idea, I will say this, it is big undertaking and requires a great deal of time.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #127
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Rot
As a follow up to my last post. What I have really enjoyed the last few years in using all Play Now games with custom playbooks. I keep track of stats, injuries, etc. It requires using two profiles and two controllers, but I think it is worth it. I know not everyone wants to do that, but if I am going to play every game in franchise mode in a season anyway, I would rather do it with just the teams that really existed and play the actual schedule of that season.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #128
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
Last year Armor and I worked together and created a 1986 draft class to go with my 1985 roster. I think that did help to provide one more good season.

I want to be able to use Franchise mode so bad with my classic rosters but the mode really struggles to translate in my opinion. I have spent way too much time over the years testing and playing and getting frustrated with franchise mode.
Every year I say, "I am done with franchise mode, I am not going to do that to myself anymore." And then, shortly after finishing a roster, I am right back in franchise mode. Somehow I think, "This time it will be different." Then back to the reality of a mode that simply is not made for classic rosters.

I will though, I have gotten pretty decent results out of franchise mode this year with limited time with the 1988 roster. Now, for it to be really good, you have to actually play EVERY game. Even the in game super sim causes QB completion percentages to be way too high. But, the Minnesota playbook is pretty solid for run/pass ratio.

With that said, if someone would be willing to assist with a 1989 draft class, I would possibly be willing to do all of the ratings. But before anyone jumps on that idea, I will say this, it is big undertaking and requires a great deal of time.
It's not a great mode for CURRENT rosters, let alone classic rosters. Once they make it a good mode for current, it will be decent for classic. But as is, you still get the schedules, the stat tracking, the playoffs, etc. Controlling all teams is a must though. If anyone wanted to make draft classes for this roster (1989, 1990), or any of ITPs rosters that dont have them, im down to help.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »