Home

JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #2217
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 18 Sliders (for CFM only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
We've all been there, so I totally get the rant. And honestly....I think some of that is by design. I'm fairly confident that there are factors we don't see:
  • CPU coach sliders...we used to be able to adjust offensive/defensive aggression for coaches...cannot now....but HUGE factor on gameplay. I strongly suspect that they are still there and have a pretty significant impact....because they directly affected "how hard" their players play.
  • The elements are a factor
  • divisional games seem to be tougher
  • I'm even fairly sure that there is something underneath with home-field advantage
I can go on and on....and that is even before we talk about player matchups and so on.

But to your last sentence...this sums up a lot of the reason why I just don't bother anymore with adjusting gameplay sliders....there is just SO much built-in already....I'm not saying you can't make sliders work, it just isn't worth it to me....
I would like to see how the ingame cpu coaching adjustment are made and changed throughout the game as well. How did EA figure these out & implement? If its anything like the playcalling...

Playing:

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 02-20-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #2218
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Testing out something on Twitch if anyone wants to keep me company in chat:
https://www.twitch.tv/joshc77
Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #2219
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

So here goes my lengthy post draft summary lol. (FYI I'm going to base a lot on Ovr in this type up just to make it easier but that isn't what I follow when setting my roster, I dig quite a bit deeper)

Roster Info

So going in I had a bunch of needs. Mostly on defense because I'm switching from a 4-3 to an attacking 3-4. Position wise QB is iffy, HB is garbage, WR actually not to bad with two vets at 80 and 76 Ovr respectively, TE is garbage, OL is pretty good all things considered, DE is blah other then a 33 year old Joey Bosa, DT is stellar with a 28 year old 85 Ovr stud, OLB sucks with wrong scheme players, have one solid veteran MLB who's 31 and 81 Ovr, Have the #1 CB in the game who is 25 years old and 87 Ovr (freaking stud) and a pretty good CB2, and then bot S positions are ho hum.

FA

Didn't sign anyone crazy here. Just got some depth and a few plug and play starters in case I couldn't find anyone in the draft. (side note as JoshC said these guys still ask for high amounts of money even with the lower ratings so I do believe that it has to have something to do with their Ovr rank by position in the league and if that is the case great job EA.)

Draft

Going in I had the 7th overall pick. I had my sights on a ROLB who fit my scheme perfectly and was rated highest on my board. He was projected to go mid 1st so I was very hopeful he'd still be there. He was and I took him:

Calvin Farley-ROLB (22 yo, 6'5", 236lbs, Superstar Dev)(77 ovr)
82 spd, 91 tak, 88 bsh, 88 pow, 69 fmv, 70 pmv, 64 prc, 81 pur, 91 acc, 85 agi, 69 awr, 55 mcv, 63 zcv, 85 str

Very solid pick. He's young and has a ton of talent. His moves are a little light which sucks some but that tak, bsh, pow, and pur to go along with the physicals makes him formidable. When prc and awr eventually rise he will be a fixture for years to come.

Round 2 rolls around and I'm really conflicted. I have a WR rated very high on my board who will go if I don't get him now but I already have two goods ones (granted they are getting older). QB is a need to a point because my incumbent is Slow Dev, 25 yo, hurt (complete ACL tear) until week 4 regular season, and the backup is trash. However the QB talent in the draft is not great. I have another WR rated pretty high and isn't supposed to go until the early 4th. So I figured I could grad the only good QB I scouted and grab the other WR later. I pull the trigger on the QB and regret it immediately:

Will Burnett-QB (22 yo, 6'6", 232lbs, Slow Dev)(75 ovr)
71 awr, 76 dac, 83 mac, 76 sac, 93 thp, 84 tor, 72 pac, 74 spd, 80 acc, 74 agi, 58 acr, 70 str

Now looking at his ratings he isn't that bad. Actually he is the same rating as my starter, 3 years younger, and he can throw the long ball decently. My regret is I took him to early imo. You don't want to waste a 2nd round pick on a slow dev QB. Plus I missed out on the WR who I just knew would be a beast. With that however Burnett is penciled in as the starter until at least week 4. If he's playing well he could start all season. If not a little QB competition never hurt anyone.

Round 3 comes around and I'm still dejected by my last pick. Feeling I let the best WR in the class go for the QB and now I will take the next best WR. Granted the draft class was very deep inWR talent as far as I could tell from scouting so I thought this guy would be pretty good for an early 4th round projection:

Rashaud Pead-WR (22 yo, 6'0", 197lbs, Normal Dev)(83 ovr!!!!)
97 spd, 87 rte, 83 cth, 95 acc, 79 cit, 81 spc, 95 jmp, 72 awr, 86 rls, 90 agi, 81 bcv, 79 car, 86 elu

HOLY **** GUYS!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me here? The #1 player in the draft. I had no idea he would be this good (and better then the guy I wanted in round 2 lol). This guy is a monster and can do freaking everything. I mean everything!!! Look at those ratings. I was beyond stoked and that , what I thought, misfire in round 2 ended up working out perfectly for me. If I don't take the QB I don't draft Pead here. He will start from day one and now I have 3 really good WRs.

Round 4 comes up and I'm still on a high from my last pick. To be honest I could tank the rest of the draft and be content lol. By now there were no real studs left as far as I could tell so I was just going for depth or taking fliers on guys who I thought could contribute:

Jerome Bush-LG (22 yo, 6'3", 327lbs, Normal Dev)(76 Ovr)
88 str, 85 rbk, 75 pbk, 91 ibk, 55 awr, 74 spd, 81 acc, 65 agi

Anybody who has ever followed how I like to build my offense in Madden knows I'm a power run guy first and foremost. I like passing too but just being able to pound the rock and wear down the D is what I love doing. So strong, run blocking OL are what I covet. This guy fits that mold perfectly. Other then his low awr he is a very solid player and is penciled in as the starter at RT(run block grinding position for my team).

Round 5 and I'm not sure what to do. I need a HB desperately but the are mostly gone. I have one guy left on my board who didn't really entice me too much with his numbers. He also didn't really fit my scheme (he's a speed back). I like more of a quick bigger back. However I pulled the trigger:

Bernard Porter-HB (21 yo, 5'11", 210lbs, Normal Dev)(69 ovr)
95 spd, 92 acc, 72 car, 83 bcv, 60 trk, 68 sfa, 72 smv, 81 jkm, 86 agi, 81 elu, 57 awr, 68 cth, 63, rte, 83 jmp, 70 str

Now to be honest he really isn't that small (210lbs) for a speed back. He has some pretty decent ratings and I very pleased with this 69 ovr player. As I stated before my HB situation is trash and I have him penciled in as my starter for now. At the least he'll be splitting the carries this season. Who would have though I'd be excited about a 69 ovr HB lol. If I make this pick using regular rosters he probably doesn't make the team or he's a PS guy for a few years and then he's gone from my team. Now he's potentially a starter lol. I love it.

Round 6 and I'm just looking for depth here. Took my top guy left on my draft board:

Russell Molinaro-RG (23 yo, 6'4", 314lbs, Normal Dev)(75 ovr)
92 str, 83 rbk, 76 pbk, 88 ibk, 54 awr, 63 spd, 82 acc, 68 agi

Well hot damn. A 75 ovr guy in round 6? I'll take that everyday. A little more of a balanced guy then the LG I got but still fits in perfectly with my run first scheme. I like my starting LG to be more balanced in blocking so he's penciled in as the starting LG this season.

Round 7. I'm excited. I scouted a projected undrafted LE who I thought would be a great steal. Finding gems in the UD area is hard but can happen. In my other CFM I got a WR who was 80 ovr. So I was thinking this guy could easily be in the high 70's. His combine numbers were excellent and his scouted skills looked awesome. So I grabbed him:

Ja'Mario Figurs-LE (22 yo, 6'6", 286lbs, Normal Dev)(68 ovr)
80 str, 66 tak, 70 bsh, 84 pmv, 65, fmv, 85 spd, 82 acc, 54 prc, 53 awr, 81 agi, 83 pow, 83 pur

And blah lol. Not what I was expecting at all. Now the good is he is an athlete. His physical are pretty damn good for a man his size. Str could be higher but his movement is top notch. He's dumb and his tak and bsh leave much to be desired. That pmv is top notch though. So he is the definition of a situational player. He will for sure get some playing time this year and who knows maybe on the field he will play above what I see on paper.

So that was it. 7 picks, 6 starters, and 1 backup. Not to bad imo. My team is still trash but I have some good pieces. I'll tell you guys, man, drafting is so much better now because you can find guys from any round that can contribute. You'll have to scout more carefully to spread out your distribution. It's like a chess match. In my Jets CFM where I have a very stacked roster I find myself just going through the motions because even first rounders probably would't start on that team. So you're just getting guys that will rid the pine for at least a year or two.

Anyways I know this was stupid long by I got motivated to share my experience. Hope it was a good read for those interested.

Last edited by tdawg3782; 02-21-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #2220
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
So here goes my lengthy post draft summary lol. (FYI I'm going to base a lot on Ovr in this type up just to make it easier but that isn't what I follow when setting my roster, I dig quite a bit deeper)

Roster Info

So going in I had a bunch of needs. Mostly on defense because I'm switching from a 4-3 to an attacking 3-4. Position wise QB is iffy, HB is garbage, WR actually not to bad with two vets at 80 and 76 Ovr respectively, TE is garbage, OL is pretty good all things considered, DE is blah other then a 33 year old Joey Bosa, DT is stellar with a 28 year old 85 Ovr stud, OLB sucks with wrong scheme players, have one solid veteran MLB who's 31 and 81 Ovr, Have the #1 CB in the game who is 25 years old and 87 Ovr (freaking stud) and a pretty good CB2, and then bot S positions are ho hum.

FA

Didn't sign anyone crazy here. Just got some depth and a few plug and play starters in case I couldn't find anyone in the draft. (side note as JoshC said these guys still ask for high amounts of money even with the lower ratings so I do believe that it has to have something to do with their Ovr rank by position in the league and if that is the case great job EA.)

Draft

Going in I had the 7th overall pick. I had my sights on a ROLB who fit my scheme perfectly and was rated highest on my board. He was projected to go mid 1st so I was very hopeful he'd still be there. He was and I took him:

Calvin Farley-ROLB (22 yo, 6'5", 236lbs, Superstar Dev)(77 ovr)
82 spd, 91 tak, 88 bsh, 88 pow, 69 fmv, 70 pmv, 64 prc, 81 pur, 91 acc, 85 agi, 69 awr, 55 mcv, 63 zcv, 85 str

Very solid pick. He's young and has a ton of talent. His moves are a little light which sucks some but that tak, bsh, pow, and pur to go along with the physicals makes him formidable. When prc and awr eventually rise he will be a fixture for years to come.

Round 2 rolls around and I'm really conflicted. I have a WR rated very high on my board who will go if I don't get him now but I already have two goods ones (granted they are getting older). QB is a need to a point because my incumbent is Slow Dev, 25 yo, hurt (complete ACL tear) until week 4 regular season, and the backup is trash. However the QB talent in the draft is not great. I have another WR rated pretty high and isn't supposed to go until the early 4th. So I figured I could grad the only good QB I scouted and grab the other WR later. I pull the trigger on the QB and regret it immediately:

Will Burnett-QB (22 yo, 6'6", 232lbs, Slow Dev)(75 ovr)
71 awr, 76 dac, 83 mac, 76 sac, 93 thp, 84 tor, 72 pac, 74 spd, 80 acc, 74 agi, 58 acr, 70 str

Now looking at his ratings he isn't that bad. Actually he is the same rating as my starter, 3 years younger, and he can throw the long ball decently. My regret is I took him to early imo. You don't want to waste a 2nd round pick on a slow dev QB. Plus I missed out on the WR who I just knew would be a beast. With that however Burnett is penciled in as the starter until at least week 4. If he's playing well he could start all season. If not a little QB competition never hurt anyone.

Round 3 comes around and I'm still dejected by my last pick. Feeling I let the best WR in the class go for the QB and now I will take the next best WR. Granted the draft class was very deep inWR talent as far as I could tell from scouting so I thought this guy would be pretty good for an early 4th round projection:

Rashaud Pead-WR (22 yo, 6'0", 197lbs, Normal Dev)(83 ovr!!!!)
97 spd, 87 rte, 83 cth, 95 acc, 79 cit, 81 spc, 95 jmp, 72 awr, 86 rls, 90 agi, 81 bcv, 79 car, 86 elu

HOLY **** GUYS!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me here? The #1 player in the draft. I had no idea he would be this good (and better then the guy I wanted in round 2 lol). This guy is a monster and can do freaking everything. I mean everything!!! Look at those ratings. I was beyond stoked and that , what I thought, misfire in round 2 ended up working out perfectly for me. If I don't take the QB I don't draft Pead here. He will start from day one and now I have 3 really good WRs.

Round 4 comes up and I'm still on a high from my last pick. To be honest I could tank the rest of the draft and be content lol. By now there were no real studs left as far as I could tell so I was just going for depth or taking fliers on guys who I thought could contribute:

Jerome Bush-LG (22 yo, 6'3", 327lbs, Normal Dev)(76 Ovr)
88 str, 85 rbk, 75 pbk, 91 ibk, 55 awr, 74 spd, 81 acc, 65 agi

Anybody who has ever followed how I like to build my offense in Madden knows I'm a power run guy first and foremost. I like passing too but just being able to pound the rock and wear down the D is what I love doing. So strong, run blocking OL are what I covet. This guy fits that mold perfectly. Other then his low awr he is a very solid player and is penciled in as the starter at RT(run block grinding position for my team).

Round 5 and I'm not sure what to do. I need a HB desperately but the are mostly gone. I have one guy left on my board who didn't really entice me too much with his numbers. He also didn't really fit my scheme (he's a speed back). I like more of a quick bigger back. However I pulled the trigger:

Bernard Porter-HB (21 yo, 5'11", 210lbs, Normal Dev)(69 ovr)
95 spd, 92 acc, 72 car, 83 bcv, 60 trk, 68 sfa, 72 smv, 81 jkm, 86 agi, 81 elu, 57 awr, 68 cth, 63, rte, 83 jmp, 70 str

Now to be honest he really isn't that small (210lbs) for a speed back. He has some pretty decent ratings and I very pleased with this 69 ovr player. As I stated before my HB situation is trash and I have him penciled in as my starter for now. At the least he'll be splitting the carries this season. Who would have though I'd be excited about a 69 ovr HB lol. If I make this pick using regular rosters he probably doesn't make the team or he's a PS guy for a few years and then he's gone from my team. Now he's potentially a starter lol. I love it.

Round 6 and I'm just looking for depth here. Took my top guy left on my draft board:

Russell Molinaro-RG (23 yo, 6'4", 314lbs, Normal Dev)(75 ovr)
92 str, 83 rbk, 76 pbk, 88 ibk, 54 awr, 63 spd, 82 acc, 68 agi

Well hot damn. A 75 ovr guy in round 6? I'll take that everyday. A little more of a balanced guy then the LG I got but still fits in perfectly with my run first scheme. I like my starting LG to be more balanced in blocking so he's penciled in as the starting LG this season.

Round 7. I'm excited. I scouted a projected undrafted LE who I thought would be a great steal. Finding gems in the UD area is hard but can happen. In my other CFM I got a WR who was 80 ovr. So I was thinking this guy could easily be in the high 70's. His combine numbers were excellent and his scouted skills looked awesome. So I grabbed him:

Ja'Mario Figurs-LE (22 yo, 6'6", 286lbs, Normal Dev)(68 ovr)
80 str, 66 tak, 70 bsh, 84 pmv, 65, fmv, 85 spd, 82 acc, 54 prc, 53 awr, 81 agi, 83 pow, 83 pur

And blah lol. Not what I was expecting at all. Now the good is he is an athlete. His physical are pretty damn good for a man his size. Str could be higher but his movement is top notch. He's dumb and his tak and bsh leave much to be desired. That pmv is top notch though. So he is the definition of a situational player. He will for sure get some playing time this year and who knows maybe on the field he will play above what I see on paper.

So that was it. 7 picks, 6 starters, and 1 backup. Not to bad imo. My team is still trash but I have some good pieces. I'll tell you guys, man, drafting is so much better now because you can find guys from any round that can contribute. You'll have to scout more carefully to spread out your distribution. It's like a chess match. In my Jets CFM where I have a very stacked roster I find myself just going through the motions because even first rounders probably would't start on that team. So you're just getting guys that will rid the pine for at least a year or two.

Anyways I know this was stupid long by I got motivated to share my experience. Hope it was a good read for those interested.
Nice draft man! That WR is a stud!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #2221
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Great read Tdawg! And that WR.....smh....good lord....

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #2222
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

May be better than that QB of yours Josh lol...still doesn't beat the 99OVR name though!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #2223
Rookie

OVR: 2

tdawg3782,

Nice writeup. What I liked the most was not necessarily the players themselves, but the fact that you were able to show that with the new setup the draft actually matters now. While you used OVR for simplicity sake, you are able to convey how ratings are now more important. Like you stated about your Jets CFM, a stacked roster (easy to get previously) al but renders the draft somewhat useless.

Hopefully when others read this writeup they will see that OVR really isn't that important. It now becomes important to focus on specific player ratings and thus makes it vital to find FA to fit and draft players that fit.

Great stuff!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #2224
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan1984
Nice draft man! That WR is a stud!
Thanks. Ya I can't wait to use him in game. He is a mismatch nightmear for almost any CB.

Quote:

Right? I've drafted some good players on this years Madden but with the way this roster is set he is just going to be a stud. Should be fun. You better believe I'll be force feeding him like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd3892
tdawg3782,

Nice writeup. What I liked the most was not necessarily the players themselves, but the fact that you were able to show that with the new setup the draft actually matters now. While you used OVR for simplicity sake, you are able to convey how ratings are now more important. Like you stated about your Jets CFM, a stacked roster (easy to get previously) al but renders the draft somewhat useless.

Hopefully when others read this writeup they will see that OVR really isn't that important. It now becomes important to focus on specific player ratings and thus makes it vital to find FA to fit and draft players that fit.

Great stuff!
Yep. I've always been big on not worrying about the Ovr. That's why I created a roster tool in excel to shape my team the way I want and see how they stack up by my own Ovr calculation and not Maddens. (FYI for any who use said roster tool I have an updated version that works with the lower rated roster setup I just haven't uploaded it yet. I'll try to get on that soon). It's great to be able to use guys in a situational role if need be. Plus the fact all the guys I drafted will get significant playing time which would not happen in a regular roster setup. (well except my WR lol)

I'm so stoked on this setup right now. I can't wait to get going with this season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »