Home

Madden NFL 15: In-Depth Gameplay Interview With Rex Dickson

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15: In-Depth Gameplay Interview With Rex Dickson within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #73
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden NFL 15: In-Depth Gameplay Interview With Rex Dickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
As far as "gameplay" goes, it sounds like the changes have more to do with animations and visual representations -- I wouldn't call this "gameplay" improvements.

To me, gameplay improvements mean something like a rewriting of the code regarding the behavior of defenders so that they actually read-and-react to keys (like they do in real life).
The notes that came out today flat-out said that man and zone coverage code were rewritten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebot44
It's just another way to say they held back on the current gen consoles so the last gen would have the same game. I don't want parity, I want them to use every scrap of power the current gen has and leave the last gen in the dust.
It is unreasonable to expect EA to abandon the XBOX 360 and PS3 with a multi platform title given the large install base of those two systems. Game companies exist to make money. Further, supporting multiple platforms doesn't automatically translate to "lazy"; it does mean that the games projects must be properly scoped so that the teams can meet their hard stop release deadline in late August and their code freeze well before that.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 28
I like the sound of the new features. I agree with the fear of imbalance. However I like the direction. To hear that there will be new and improved WR/DB interaction.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #75
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Madden NFL 15: In-Depth Gameplay Interview With Rex DicksonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
LOL, come on guys, this has nothing to do with being fair. It's purely a business decision. There are still tons of gamers on the last gen systems. Those are sales they need and there is no way they are going to alienate that customer base. It's a sound business decision even if it is a bit of a frustration point for those of us who have upgraded.

I think we both agree with you. I miss typed when I originally said it. EA will probably say it's to be fair because they would not come out and directly say it's so we can get money from all of you regardless of system.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 15: In-Depth Gameplay Interview With Rex DicksonS

Quote:
LOL, come on guys, this has nothing to do with being fair. It's purely a business decision. There are still tons of gamers on the last gen systems. Those are sales they need and there is no way they are going to alienate that customer base. It's a sound business decision even if it is a bit of a frustration point for those of us who have upgraded.
It's a sound business decision if you're incapable of developing for two systems. I'm pretty confident that with a clearer strategy you could develop for both systems and give consumers what they pay for regardless of system, unfortunately it appears you think just like EA and that's too bad.

In addition, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the next gen game is just a port from last gen for almost the entire console and it's never even developed as a next gen game and on the side they working on the next gen game that they'll roll out right before they phase out the PS3 and then rinse and repeat for every console release. Every next gen game could most likely just be a port from the previous console and that would explain a lot.

Last edited by DNMHIII; 06-10-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
As of right now I'm worried about the D and AI on D been so over powered it ain't funny. It was bad enough in Madden 25 as the AI had hands of glue. Now the AI can even more aggressive to get more ints and force fumble. The offense side of the ball is going to get boring real quick. You just can't make every team in Madden a high power D like the Seahawks and Panthers. It just ain't real in the NFL. There is some teams that have weak Ds and some good and a few real good. But I have a feeling this is going be a arcade type Madden. Just not feeling so far. Need to see more actual game play to decide.
EA is so full of crap. Just make the players adhere to their stats. No trickery is needed. Weak corners lose the battle to a good wideout unless you make sure they have help over the top. Which means you need good play calling. That would be a better system then rubber banding and making the AI know your play call. Allowing one receiver to be open for a second and then using a speed boost to allow the db to jump the route. Between that and missed blocks in situations where the play was properly setup, those 2 bugs alone are enough to make the eye candy in Madden feel like ****e.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #78
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Listen to his interview, some of the things he says are music to the ears of simulation community players. His exact words were along the line of, "Our goal is 100% authenticity and simulation". That nips in the bud any controversy around whether or not Madden is marketed as a simulation game.
Speaking as a person who - based on what I've seen on the final disc each year - admittedly has been a bit confused as to what the direction of the Madden series was (and I've stated my opinion as the vision of the game being in the opposite court in many respects), this is both refreshing to hear and also changes a bit the lens from which I look at and evaluate the game going forward.

I still think Madden as-is (based on the last disc release) has a way's to go in being an accessible game which teaches new players how to play and play well (and thus being a truly good video game), and I still think that that is very important. That said, there's no reason Madden can't be both that and a game which represents real life as closely as possible. Arguably doing more to address the latter concern of realism can help in augmenting the former as well.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #79
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Speaking as a person who - based on what I've seen on the final disc each year - admittedly has been a bit confused as to what the direction of the Madden series was (and I've stated my opinion as the vision of the game being in the opposite court in many respects), this is both refreshing to hear and also changes a bit the lens from which I look at and evaluate the game going forward.

I still think Madden as-is (based on the last disc release) has a way's to go in being an accessible game which teaches new players how to play and play well (and thus being a truly good video game), and I still think that that is very important. That said, there's no reason Madden can't be both that and a game which represents real life as closely as possible. Arguably doing more to address the latter concern of realism can help in augmenting the former as well.
Stuff like showing hints in pre play art has been a great addition to the franchise and I hope they continue to build off of it in order to make the game emulate real football. I personally love making sure I know where the read/pitch man are before I snap the ball when running a triple option in NCAA. Stuff like that has actually taught me the game of football. Pushing that kind of teach as you play is something that will only encourage new comers to purchase the game.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #80
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
No not at all. The point of an audible is to recognize the defense is in a formation or personnel that is more likely to stop your called play and you counter that by changing the play.

You come out in 3WR 1TE and a RB with a called pass and you see the defense is in Dime with the CBs giving 10 yard cushions you would probably audible to a draw or dive to take advantage of having 6 blockers vs 5 defenders within 7 yards of the LOS.

And to add to it real NFL QB's don't audible a lot. They call two plays in the huddle and go with the first and might fake calls or kill the first and use the second. I've heard Bill Walsh say that if the QB has to audible much they failed in their game plan. Lol. That's why I hate the way guys do it online. It's so unrealistic to hot route every receiver or audible every play. I'm so happy to hear they're changing it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »