Home

The awareness attribute

This is a discussion on The awareness attribute within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Rookie

dmildagreat's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The awareness attribute

As a side note on awareness, I drafted Josh Gordon in my online CFM. With our rosters, he is listed as 0 AWR (and 0 ACC). He's certainly not as good as he should be, but he is still my team's leading receiver. I've definitely noticed his quickness is gone, but he's still great as a possession wr. I really haven't noticed a 0 AWR affecting his ability to get open, go after the ball, or catch it.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
On defense, AWR is important for things like locating a thrown ball so a defender can react to it (via swat attempt or interception attempt, as governed by the "Plays Ball In The Air" trait among other things), recognizing that a fumble has occurred, making a decision to fall on a fumble vs. attempting to scoop-and-score, and other mental things. It's more of a "general powers of observation" attribute.

As previously stated, Play Recognition (PRC) is equally important on defense, as it quantifies the defender's ability to properly identify a play, react properly to play action, draws, and so on. Think of this more like "specific football intelligence".

Note that AWR (and I assume PRC) don't have any affect on a player who is being actively controlled by a user (i.e. you are selected on him and doing more than just holding down the defensive assist button).
I have often wondered if play recognition affects human players. For example, when I play LB and the guy does play action, the RB lights up for a second as if he has the ball. I wonder if play recog affects how long that lights up...
Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #11
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davon_A_Brown
I believe Play Recognition is strictly for recognizing run/pass at the snap and how likely you're to be fooled by play action/draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just wanted to bump this up, because I actually missed the good discussion that took place after the first post.

I like that the play recognition attribute was brought up, along side my inquiry to the awareness attribute. I've also seen people refer to the awareness attribute being only for simming. It seems like most disagree with this, at least in this thread, and it's good to get some clarity on the awareness attribute.

One thing I always make sure of is that my LBs have a somewhat respectable play recognition rating (not to mention a high tackle rating), as I feel like it prevents them from biting on a PA fake more often than not, whether they are in zone or man coverage. I also find it somewhat important to my strong safety, but I don't focus on it as much with my SS, as I do with my LBs.

I'm glad to hear awareness actually affects the DBs play on the ball in various ways. I feel like the mid 70 to mid 80 range is a good spot for awareness, then I start saving up XP and working on more of their ZCV and MCV attirbutes, with a very slight increase to their tackling attribute.

I feel like tackling in the low 70's for DBs is needed (most of my DBs have tackle in the 60's), as I hate it when a RB makes to the backfield, only to shed a tackle by one of my DBs, then goes on for a big gain or a long TD.

Of course, for my free safety I save my XP for higher ZCV, and not so much on tackling, but I think low 70's in tackling could work well there as well, seeing how he is typically the last man of defense, on a RB that makes it deep into the backfield.

So, the attribute order for DBs, specifically CBs as well (when their attributes are low in some of these categories), it goes AWR, MCV or ZCV, then a slight upgrade to tackling. Play recognition might also be not too bad, as maybe a CB will also bite early on a PA fake while covering a WR. I'd like to have that one figured out, to see if it's worth upgrading for a CB.

So, in your opinion, does that sound about right, where to allocate XP when further developing DBs and LBs in a CFM?

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-17-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Rookie

leathrneck34's Arena

OVR: 3

I want to put my 2 cents in here as well on this.

I believe AWR is very very important for every player on the field during games not only for simming except for the human controlled player then (your) AWR is important.
However I also believe some positions on the field benefit from AWR more than other's such as: WR,OL,CB,S,TE's and running backs both full backs and halfbacks

And I believe PRC plays a larger role, but compliments AWR in other positions such as: DL/ both DE and DT,LB's, SS,CB's who usually play the run could also be FS just depends on how you use them in your scheme.

And I think in certain positions PRC comes first such as: DT's for recognizing and diagnosing a run vs a pass also MLB's and or DE's depending on how you use or have set up your defense some LB's such as ROLB who play zone needs AWR to locate WR's and when the ball is in the air. Also safeties could benefit from PRC>AWR if used heavily in run support.

Again I don't know how it's coded into the game and I also don't have the highest or most advanced football IQ around.

Just IMO....

I just want to add I think AWR is just as important on offense for WR's and TE's for blitz pick up as well as blocking for the run i.e who to block and HB/FB so they know where to be placed to see and pick up blitzing LB's and other blitzing S's and CB's. As well as locating the ball while running a route and when and how to get inside on slants or outside on streaks,also for backs running routes out of the back field. I feel the OL rely heavily on AWR to pick up stunts and LB's when not engaged with another lineman.I'm sure there is more but that's what I got so far concerning those 2 attributes.

Last edited by leathrneck34; 09-17-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: I got more
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
Pro

Davon_A_Brown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94
I just wanted to bump this up, because I actually missed the good discussion that took place after the first post.

I like that the play recognition attribute was brought up, along side my inquiry to the awareness attribute. I've also seen people refer to the awareness attribute being only for simming. It seems like most disagree with this, at least in this thread, and it's good to get some clarity on the awareness attribute.

One thing I always make sure of is that my LBs have a somewhat respectable play recognition rating (not to mention a high tackle rating), as I feel like it prevents them from biting on a PA fake more often than not, whether they are in zone or man coverage. I also find it somewhat important to my strong safety, but I don't focus on it as much with my SS, as I do with my LBs.

I'm glad to hear awareness actually affects the DBs play on the ball in various ways. I feel like the mid 70 to mid 80 range is a good spot for awareness, then I start saving up XP and working on more of their ZCV and MCV attirbutes, with a very slight increase to their tackling attribute.

I feel like tackling in the low 70's for DBs is needed (most of my DBs have tackle in the 60's), as I hate it when a RB makes to the backfield, only to shed a tackle by one of my DBs, then goes on for a big gain or a long TD.

Of course, for my free safety I save my XP for higher ZCV, and not so much on tackling, but I think low 70's in tackling could work well there as well, seeing how he is typically the last man of defense, on a RB that makes it deep into the backfield.

So, the attribute order for DBs, specifically CBs as well (when their attributes are low in some of these categories), it goes AWR, MCV or ZCV, then a slight upgrade to tackling. Play recognition might also be not too bad, as maybe a CB will also bite early on a PA fake while covering a WR. I'd like to have that one figured out, to see if it's worth upgrading for a CB.

So, in your opinion, does that sound about right, where to allocate XP when further developing DBs and LBs in a CFM?

CB:
Man Coverage
Zone Coverage
Press
Awareness
Play Recognition

FS:
Zone Coverage
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle

SS:
Zone Coverage
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle

LB:
Tackle
Block Shed
Awareness
Play Recognition
Zone Coverage

DL:
Finesse Move
Power Move
Block Shed
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle
Pass Rush Move

That's the order that I usually progress my defensive players.

Th3 Chos3n On3
Old 09-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
CB:
Man Coverage
Zone Coverage
Press
Awareness
Play Recognition

FS:
Zone Coverage
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle

SS:
Zone Coverage
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle

LB:
Tackle
Block Shed
Awareness
Play Recognition
Zone Coverage

DL:
Finesse Move
Power Move
Block Shed
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle
Pass Rush Move

Th3 Chos3n On3
Good tips Davon, thanks. Totally forgot about press coverage. That is definitely something to spend XP in, if it's low. I think I'm fine with all my DBs having tackling in the low 70s, except my SS, I would prefer him to be rather higher.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Rookie

TheArsenal11's Arena

OVR: 1

Excellent post with great info here. For me, there's no doubt that AWR affects players on defense. It is one of the main stats I look at when choosing my secondary/MLBs in MUT or CFM. After playing a lot of regular head to head games with the Vikings and switching to elite level awareness safeties and corners the difference is night and day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
CB:
Man Coverage
Zone Coverage
Press
Awareness
Play Recognition

FS:
Zone Coverage
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle

SS:
Zone Coverage
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle

LB:
Tackle
Block Shed
Awareness
Play Recognition
Zone Coverage

DL:
Finesse Move
Power Move
Block Shed
Awareness
Play Recognition
Tackle
Pass Rush Move

Th3 Chos3n On3
What about on offense? I would think you would want all lineman to have high awareness. What about running backs and receivers? I would think it would help with running routes and getting open....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »